Is my .32 ACP worthless???

This is a discussion on Is my .32 ACP worthless??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I received a Walther PP .32 ACP from my father when I got married 15 years ago. I have shot this handgun many, many times ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Is my .32 ACP worthless???

Is my .32 ACP worthless???

I received a Walther PP .32 ACP from my father when I got married 15 years ago. I have shot this handgun many, many times since then. I love it. It is a wonderful and accurate handgun.

I only recently became interested in concealed carry (CC) recently. I have not yet taken the class or applied for concealed handgun license (CHL). My question is, does the .32 have what it takes to stop a human attacker? I know it'll stop a charging, rabid dog.

I cannot afford a more powerful handgun yet, so I'll probably carry the .32 due to lack of choice. However, I still would like to know any and everyone's opinion on the .32.
    Last edited by JD; June 5th, 2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Addressed via PM.

2. Remove Ads

No way is it "worthless" ... I sure would n't want to get shot by it. Wish I had that particular piece too by the way. It's just a handgun after all, and I think many will agree it's shot placement that is probably most important. I'd feel better with a 9mm or up but hey, a nice .32 has its place after all.
    rugergunner likes this.

VIP Member
    No, it isn't "worthless," but it is towards the very bottom of defensive handgun calibers. It is, generally speaking, better than a .22 or .25, but that still isn't saying much. It will, of course, kill IF you do your part, but there is much less margin for error when using such a small round.

With that out of the way - if you are comfortable and proficient with it, by all means carry it whenever and wherever it is legal for you to do so. While doing that, save your pennies for a more powerful handgun that you also find to your liking - you'll get plenty of good advice on what to look for in these pages...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

In my opinion the 32 as a defensive cartridge is on the lower end of the scale. There are better choice available but as you stated, its all you have right now. Will it stop a threat, I'd have to say yes, it has the capability to stop an attacker but how many shots and how long before the BG stops is the question. I think I would stay with FMJ in that caliber to get the penetration as I dont think a JHP will go deep enough or expand well, shot placement would be important. I dont know what the laws are in your state as far as concealed firearms are concerned so be careful, you dont want to get jammed up before you get the CCW permit.

The .32 ACP is filed in my pea-brain's "inadequate category" however and assailant could be said to be having a bad day if he was to be hosed down with a pistol so chambered. It has neither terrific velocity nor a lot of bullet weight going for it.

The .32 ACP can offer surprising penetration with FMJ ammunition which is the type of ammunition I would choose for a .32 pistol. I once found a wheel from either a Renault or a Fiat in a roadside dump and shot a few rounds of .32 ACP at it. The 71 grain jacketed round nose Remington factory load completely penetrated the steel rim. I don't know if that says more about .32 ACP punch or more about the flimsy material used to manufacture the wheel but I was surprised and impressed.

I'm hoping your Walter PP gives reliable function. I really love the Walther PP and PPK guns. I have owned 3 in .32 and one in .380. None were dependable, being prone to jamming. Despite the bad experiences I've had with the breed I want to get another.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

.32 acp?

You should never carry a defensive weapon that you do not have confidence in, within its limitations. That being said, a .32 acp will do the job. This may be heresy to some, but in my experience its really not all that less effective for normal defense, if at all, than the larger pistol rounds. I'm totally confident in my PP-32 and Kel-Tec p32 with hardball. No usable/accessible carry pistol is the "Hammer of Thor". If you need to drop someone up close like a rock, then use a .30 cal battle rifle, 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or big buckshot, or a baseball bat. Better yet, avoid the confrontation altogether.

Hey! Isn't that what James Bond carried? The same thing as 7.65X17mm?

StormRhydr and NickBurkhardt like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I wouldn't think it is worthless at all. Not in value or as a potential defensive weapon.

I have a Walther PP .32 I received from my son-in-law who's grandfather liberated from the body of a Nazi Officer in Belgium during WWII. It was recently appraised at $700 - $800.

You'll also find a hot debate on the caliber as many people prefer the .32 acp over the .380 acp.

And here's the bottom line.... If that's the only gun you got, that's the gun you should carry!

The Walther PP certainly isn't the smallest .32 pistol out there. However, it's a nice slim pistol that conceals well, and shoots like a dream.

It's going to be up to you as to whether you want to get rid of it in order to purchase a ccw gun which barks with a lot more authority than the .32 or whether you'll want to keep it, carry it and wait until you can afford a better gun.

If it were me, I would keep it for sure. As far as I'm concerned, it's an heirloom piece and one I would keep. I'd carry it and use it until I could afford a gun better suited for ccw. I would never sell it just so I could afford to get a better gun. I wouldn't say that about all guns... but certainly a nice Walther PP is a keeper.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    No, it isn't "worthless," but it is towards the very bottom of defensive handgun calibers. It is, generally speaking, better than a .22 or .25, but that still isn't saying much. It will, of course, kill IF you do your part, but there is much less margin for error when using such a small round.

With that out of the way - if you are comfortable and proficient with it, by all means carry it whenever and wherever it is legal for you to do so. While doing that, save your pennies for a more powerful handgun that you also find to your liking - you'll get plenty of good advice on what to look for in these pages...
    ^^^^^^WHAT OPFOR said^^^^^^^^^^^^

Once you can afford something more suited in a SD round, and firearm, you will have a BUG, provided it is dependable.
    You can and will find many reliable revolvers and pistols for $250- 350, on up
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Hitler blew his sick brains out with a .32 just like yours, PPK. Any gun that is RELIABLE and that you can shoot well is a viable CC option. Yes, the .32 is on the light side but much more potent than a sharp stick. If YOU like it, use it. BTW NEVER sell that gun I don't care how broke you get, it was your Dads.
    oldnfat and TheBigWanad like this.

Check out this web site as to the effectiveness of 32acp.

.32ACP
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    No gun is worthless. But every gun has a place. You will not stop a bull with it, but it is most certainly better than the free Phoenix Arms Raven .25 ACP that I was given for helping my MOM-IN-LAW move.... That thing is so cheap, I can't even be bothered to sell is as it may not even fetch enough to purchase a box of .45ACP FMJ for the range to put in my Ruger. That being said, I wouldn't want it to not be there when I have nothing else left.

Your Walther is an Iconic weapon, and is definately sufficient for a backup piece, and at the end of the day, your carry piece is entirely up to you. If you are comfortable with it, by all means, may it keep you safe.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    No gun is worthless. But every gun has a place. You will not stop a bull with it, but it is most certainly better than the free Phoenix Arms Raven .25 ACP that I was given for helping my MOM-IN-LAW move.... That thing is so cheap, I can't even be bothered to sell is as it may not even fetch enough to purchase a box of .45ACP FMJ for the range to put in my Ruger. That being said, I wouldn't want it to not be there when I have nothing else left.
    Save it for when they have the turn in a gun day in a big city near you. If you're in the Akron-Cleveland Ohio area I'll trade you 200 rounds of 230 gr .45 fmj or 100 rounds of 45 ranger-t +p for it then I'll save it a year or two to trade for $200 concert tickets when they have the gun turn in in cleveland. It's money in the bank, don't pawn it.

Sometimes I don't get people saying this or that is not effective or adequate.

To me, any freakin' bullet coming my way is a bad thing. Hell, even .22LR would suck to have coming my way.

Yeah the .32 won't kill as quickly as some other calibers but it would still hurt to get shot by one.

I teach in my class "A firearm is better than no firearm", if I have a small class I'll let students shoot other calibers I have and frame sizes. Also I teach shoot what your comfortable with, I had a lady in her late 60's take my class she shot my PT22 and my S&W large frame target pistol in .22. She decided she likes the size of my PT111 but wanted a .22. She decided on a Walther .22. I also don't push a firearm on someone. One of my relative's wanted to protect herself but didn't want to carry, I talked her into a Kimber Guardian Angel pepper spray. I tell people in my class not only to carry a leathal weapon but also less lethal. They have a really good video on YOUTUBE for the Kimber pepper spray.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links