Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo

This is a discussion on Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I collect both Marlins and Winchesters. I have Marlins in 30-30, .44 Magnum and .38/.357. I also have Winchesters in 30-30, 32-40 and sold my ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo

VIP Member
    I collect both Marlins and Winchesters.

I have Marlins in 30-30, .44 Magnum and .38/.357.

I also have Winchesters in 30-30, 32-40 and sold my Trapper in .44.

Both are fine manufacturers. IMHO, if you do a side by side comparison, the Marlin is the better of the two. If nothing else, the Winchester action is "loosey goosey" compared to the Marlin.

Winchester lovers, don't me!! Like I said, I collect both. I just prefer the Marlin action.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

just put in an order to my trusty purveyor of firearms.

the winner is: marlin 1894 CSS (stainless steel version) in 357.

my price is $625 plus tax which seems fair considering that many guns have waiting lists...( i just saw this selling for over $800 at one online dealer, is this market nuts or what)

PS as this is my first ever stainless steel gun, anything i should know about care and maintenance?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    PS as this is my first ever stainless steel gun, anything i should know about care and maintenance?
    Stainless is more forgiving than blueing, but it is not an excuse to neglect it.

A stainless gun can still rust if not wiped down after it gets wet.

You can also use this ADCO E-Z Brite Cloth Lead and Carbon Wipe - MidwayUSA to clean the steel. I use one to clean my stainless revolvers and it's great for cleaning the fouling off the front of the cylinder. DO NOT USE ON A BLUED SURFACE UNLESS YOU NO LONGER WANT IT TO BE A BLUED SURFACE!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Marling & Rossie last (accuracy being factor here).
    I beg to differ...... My Rossi is as accurate as my wife or I can be straight out of the box.

Granted this was only about 25 yards or so...... But nonetheless I'd say the accuracy was pretty darn good for an unrested group!

VIP Member
    Between Marlin and Winchester, Marlin is easier to take apart for cleaning - the bolt is removable. Marlin has a stronger action. The Marlins are put together a bit tighter.

As far as maintenance, the Marlin is pretty straight forward. Keep it cleaned up, and white down the metal parts with an oiled cloth. The gun should outlive its owner no problem.

On my guns with wooden stocks I like to put a coat of bowling alley wax on every few years to keep the weather out. Been doing it for decades - just don't do it on oiled wood stocks.

just put in an order to my trusty purveyor of firearms.

the winner is: marlin 1894 CSS (stainless steel version) in 357.

my price is $625 plus tax which seems fair considering that many guns have waiting lists...( i just saw this selling for over $800 at one online dealer, is this market nuts or what)

BUMMER!!!!

The Marlin 1894 is NOT AVAILABLE (neither C nor CSS) form any wholesaler my dealer just let me know. There is also no ETA!

Might be forced to go the route of the Henry Big Boy H006M, thats the only one readily available. Is this gun really worth the extra money as many say?

picked up my henry big boy today. good looking gun. smooth action. tubular magazine needs some getting used to.

BTW, the were NO marlins NOR Rossi in stock at the 3 wholesalers my dealer checked with. Only Henrys were available. What is going on......?

good lever action well if ya dont mind .22lr get an ithica model 49, its only a single shot but i love the one my grandpa left for me after he died. Just got to shoot it 2 weeks ago love it! smooth accurate and a blast to shoot. I don't know if they are even made or sold anymore but hey if you can find one i would suggest it. Great plinker and .22lr is cheap in michigan at least only like 18$ for 500+ JMO

Ape
    picked up my henry big boy today. good looking gun. smooth action. tubular magazine needs some getting used to.

BTW, the were NO marlins NOR Rossi in stock at the 3 wholesalers my dealer checked with. Only Henrys were available. What is going on......?
    CONGRATS! I'm sure it'll give you lot's of years of fun! .357 was it???

By the way..... For anyone else looking for a Rossi I just bought this one BRZR9252003 ROSSI M92 LEVER ACTION 45LC 24" 12RD BL/CCH OCTAGON BARREL at PersonalSecurityZone.com - Rifles by Rossi by Braztech and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

Marlin .38/.357 .... my suggestion. All of the reasons in above posts ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Marlin .38/.357 .... my suggestion. All of the reasons in above posts ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Hey thats what i originally wanted to get..... please call a couple dealers wherever you are to see if you can actually buy one.... no such luck here in NC!

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    CONGRATS! I'm sure it'll give you lot's of years of fun! .357 was it???

By the way..... For anyone else looking for a Rossi I just bought this one BRZR9252003 ROSSI M92 LEVER ACTION 45LC 24" 12RD BL/CCH OCTAGON BARREL at PersonalSecurityZone.com - Rifles by Rossi by Braztech and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival!
    Strange, the were also NO ROSSI M92 in stock at any wholesalers in NC. Also see my posting above....

Ape
    Strange, the were also NO ROSSI M92 in stock at any wholesalers in NC. Also see my posting above....
    That's what makes the internet so valuable for addicts like myself.
    When you can't find it in town.... you hit the internet!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Here ya go, a lever rifle that uses Russian surplus ammo. The link will go away after it sells.

Collector's Firearms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links