Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo

This is a discussion on Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; seems like most of your typical lever action rifles use 30-30 winchester ammo. as far as i can tell, this ammo is NOT CHEAP, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo

Looking for a lever action rifle (like a winchester 94) but using inexpensive ammo

seems like most of your typical lever action rifles use 30-30 winchester ammo. as far as i can tell, this ammo is NOT CHEAP, and not even the russian companies like wolf and bear make it.

whats my best choice if my main objective is relatively plentiful and low cost ammo (but NOT a 22LR )?

PS want to stay around $500 if any way possible...

2. Remove Ads

Have you checked out the Henry Riffles? I think they offer a good line of caliber choices.

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Maybe a .357, and fire .38 spcl through it.

A .22 WMR would be fun, a lot more powerful than the .22 lr. It could put down a coyote under 100 yds
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    The Winchester 94 was designed for rifle calibers.....you can look at Winchester 92s & some of the more recent clones Rossi Puma..etc... They are made in pistol calibers.

I would stay away from .45Colt & .44-40 since the ammo costs more than .30-30.

I use 94s at home on the farm & usually in .30-30. The can reach beyond 100 yards if necessary, which the pistol calibers are a little weak for...(.30-30 is among the cheapest in ammo cost).
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I've got a Henry .22 Magnum lever action that is buttery smooth and fun to shoot. They also make it in .22 long rifle.

I've also got a Marlin 1894C lever action in .357 Magnum and it also shoots .38 Specials. Fun and affordable to shoot and practical for HD or various hunting purposes. Also buttery smooth and fun to shoot!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Looks like i have the choice between the Winchester 92 and the Marlin 1894C, both in 357... Price on Gunsamerica seems to be around $600-$700 for either.

Is the choice just a personal preference or is one objectively superior than the other?

Between the Marlin & Winchester, I'm going to say personal preference.

There may be some subtle differences that may sway you, but they're both good.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Ape
    I have a Rossi in .357 that I bought for around 400. Runs great and they're easy to trick out for really nice action shooting. I also have a Rossi .45LC CH Octagon on the way. Just PM me if you need info about where to go for simple how to's on how trick them out. ;)

Henry makes multiple calibers, 22, 22 magnum, 17HMR, 357/38, 44 mag and 30-30. Very smooth actions, excellent quality and reliability.

Lever Actions: Winchester probably makes the best. The 30-30 is best ranch gun. My friend used to have a .44Mag and a .357 and the .44Mag was more accurate and has more stopping power. He also had a Rossie in .22 pump and it was a blast to shoot, super-accurate at 50yrds. Henry would be my next choice with Marling & Rossie last (accuracy being factor here).

I support Henry because they make a good product for price and it's American owned. The president of company is "serious" about quality and you can talk to him direct, his name is Anthony. He does answer email promptly. They will stand behind their products.

Problem you're encountering is in lever gun, not that many ammo choices. Get a $20 Lee classic reloader (7time world record accuracy holder) and learn reloading on the cheap side. If you're not limited to a lever-action, check out the Ruger Mini-14 in .223 or an AR/M16 type rifle variant. Think Kel-Tec even makes them now for about $400 and that .223 is reasonable from cheaperthandirt.com or sportsmansguide.com. Happy shooting.

I would also save your brass,get a single stage reloader,bullet casting equipment if you have a supply of lead wheel weights,and you can reload for under 15 cents a round.Sometimes reloading is the only cheaper alternative
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would also save your brass,get a single stage reloader,bullet casting equipment if you have a supply of lead wheel weights,and you can reload for under 15 cents a round.Sometimes reloading is the only cheaper alternative
    i have looked into reloading. tell me if i am wrong, but it looks like you will not save any money with this, at least not when compared to buying cheap ammo like wolf, bear or tula... maybe the advantage is with only certain expensive ammo like .30-30?????

I'd still get a Marlin 336 in 30-30, next it would be the Henry .22mag...it reaches out a bit more than the .22 with a lot more knockdown power, and a hoot to shoot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Between the Marlin & Winchester, I'm going to say personal preference.

There may be some subtle differences that may sway you, but they're both good.
    it looks like the pluses with marlin are side ejection (easier to mount a scope, right)_ and checkered grip and stock. makes the gun look a lot more expensive.... the henrys are nice, but also a lot more expensive.

The actions on the '92 clones are slicker than the Marlins, and seem to be less sensitive to cartridge OAL, but I suspect that the Marlins are a little stronger. The Marlins need to have a couple of springs replaced to slick them up and improve the trigger pull, too. A neat thing about the Marlin is that a fellow makes a replacement for the idiotic crossbolt safety, and it looks just like an extra action screw. I have not seen such a replacement for Winchesters, but there might be one. Replacement Kit for the* Marlin Cross

The 1894 Marlin is heavier than the 1892 Winchester, but not by a lot. I have an 1894 Marlin in .357, on which I've mounted a Scout scope. I keep it stoked with handloads that run a 187gr. LBT GC bullet from Cast Performance at 1914 fps., but it will feed and shoot .38 Specials, too. I also have an 1892 clone by EMF that I like a lot, but with .45 Colt ammo as high as it is, it's pretty much a reload-only proposition. It action came from the factory SLICK!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links