When does reloading really save money?

This is a discussion on When does reloading really save money? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am sure many of you get tons of fun out of reloading your own ammo. BUT, when does it really save you money? Without ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

i am sure many of you get tons of fun out of reloading your own ammo.

BUT, when does it really save you money? Without having researched the topic in depth my gut feeling tells me that it probably only pays off with more expensive ammo, like magnum, and ammo sizes that are not covered by cheap russian producers (wolf, bear, etc) like the .30-30.

Brass, primers, bullets, powder... none of this stuff is cheap! not to mention the amount of time it takes to make, lets say, 100 reloads.

If I am wrong, please let me know.

The more expensive the ammo, the more you save, especailly if you shot any quantity of them.

For example three of the calibers that I reload are 300H&H mag, .32 Winchester Special and .357 mag.

I reload 9mm because it was such a pain to find in stock at a reasonable price and I reload .223 because I want more accurate ammo without paying an arm and a leg. If you buy a Lee press and dies it can be very affordably.

Just remember, you WON'T save money because you will just end up shooting more.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

.38 Spl begs to reload, not always because of the $, more like 1/2 the $, half just easy. Same deal .30-06.

.32 Win is a must reload give the $.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

any precision high power rifle ammo, plus the larger magnum pistol ammos ...
    Any pistol ammo you feel comfortable loading your own cast lead bullets vs factory loaded FMJ's.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    any precision high power rifle ammo, plus the larger magnum pistol ammos ...
    Any pistol ammo you feel comfortable loading your own cast lead bullets vs factory loaded FMJ's.
    Along those lines, and I don't know why, I always feel uncomfortable reloading semi-auto handgun (9mm, 40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc). I don't know why, but always more at ease with say .38 spl / .357 mag or .44 spl / .44 mag. Not that I have done much.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    .32 Win is a must reload give the $.
    300 H&H is $40-80 bucks a box.

Husband became obsessed with reloading 2 years ago. No, we have not saved money.

Yes, he can reload a bullet that will perform within the capabilities he desires. Nice, I guess but I'm not an Olympic level competitor who needs the fancy loads. Walmart has always worked for me.

He likes it so he does it.

It has absolutely NOT saved our household a single penny....but then neither do most hobbies.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    To me, it's not just about saving money. It's about having supplies so I CAN shoot without feeling guilty of busting the family budget (at best) or not finding any ammo at the stores at all (at worst). Cost savings are nice, but availability is king.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

For me the pay back was at 2100 rounds for my 9mm and about 2400 rounds for my 38. I a have easily aready done the 9mm and am in savings mode now. Not quite there on the 38...but am having fun working on it.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gg12 View Post
    Husband became obsessed with reloading 2 years ago. No, we have not saved money.

Yes, he can reload a bullet that will perform within the capabilities he desires. Nice, I guess but I'm not an Olympic level competitor who needs the fancy loads. Walmart has always worked for me.

He likes it so he does it.

It has absolutely NOT saved our household a single penny....but then neither do most hobbies.
    Same here. It's just a hobby for me. The ammo is much cheaper, and better and can be loaded to suit my needs. It would be rare that a rifle shot more accurate with a factory round than one loaded just for that rifle. But, if I didn't enjoy hand loading I would stop. About the same thing goes for my farming. And fishing. And hunting.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

If I had to always buy factory ammo, I wouldn't and couldn't shoot near as much. Here's an example: .45 LC ammo is $25..00/box locally. That's .50/rnd. I load it for .17/rnd. I load 9mm for around .14/rnd. and .45 ACP for .16/rnd. The initial startup cost can be a little high if you go with one of the bigger progressive presses. I loaded 10,000 rounds the first year so the math pays out fairly fast. I can also run off 200 or 300 rounds in an hour and feel totally relaxed when I get finished. I probably haven't saved a dime reloading but I can shoot all I want and know I always have loaded ammo on hand, even if Wally World is out of it.

Handloading Cost Calculator

Remember "cheap" Russian ammo may be less expensive but it can't compare to quality reloaded ammo. Reloading offers you choices that you don't get with almost any factory ammo. You can produce loads that are perfect for different types of shooting, from full power rounds to light recoil plinking ammo.

If you carry a certain factory cartridge for SD you can dial up loads that feel the same and shoot the same without paying a dollar or more per round.

OMO

bosco

VIP Member
    Sometimes reloading is a necessity; I have a Parker Hale 1200 in 30/06 that will only get 2-3 inch groups with factory ammo. After working up loads it will consistently shoot 3/8 to inch groups. Also when shooting hard to find rounds such as 22 Hornet, 256 Win Mag, 30 and 357 Herret and 220 Swift it is nice to reload and have a ready source available.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Neat, someone else that loads .256 Win. Excellent.

Yes reloading will save money on cost per round. Realizing this savings you will grow to shoot more for the same money allowing you to be a better marksman.

Nothing in handloading is really expensive. You can load FMJ or plated bullet ammo for less than $150 per 1,000rds in 9mm or load lead bullets for even greater savings at around $100.

Brass is where the savings really is since you can reuse it at least 10 times. Say you buy 1,000pcs of 9mm brass for $25 (going rate currently and forever). That's not $25 for 1,000 shots, but $25 for 10,000 shots since 10x1000=10,000. Your brass cost isn't $25 now, but amortized into $0.0025 per round. Basically a quarter of a penny per round! Why even count that in cost?

Brass= essentially free
    Primers= $25 per thousand
    Bullets= $80 plated
    Powder= $14 ($20/lb at 5gr per rd; 7,000gr per pound)
    TOTAL = $119 per thousand rounds

Now use lead bullets from Missouri Bullet(.com) and your bullet cost for 1,000 with shipping is a bit cheaper. Order the bullet bundle of 3,000 bullets with one shipping charge and it's $58/K so your cost for 1,000 (K) rounds of ammo is now only $97!

You can get started for about $200-$300 in equipment. Get the Lee Classic Turret press kit from Kemp's Gunshop (.com), a Lyman manual, calipers, tumbler, then go and get components. I also recommend stopping at the library and get the book ABC's of Reloading and read it before buying any powder or primers.

For 9mm, one of the cleanest, safest (doesn't have a pressure curve that spikes, more gradual), and best powders available is called WSF or Winchester Super Field.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links