Hangfire

This is a discussion on Hangfire within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_fire This phenomenon has never happened to me in 16 years of shooting semiautos and never in the almost 20 years of Revolvers. However, today ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hangfire

Hangfire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_fire

This phenomenon has never happened to me in 16 years of shooting semiautos and never in the almost 20 years of Revolvers.

However, today I was shooting the Federal 135 grain 40 SW HPs, newly bought, when all I heard was a pop and saw smoke. I immediately put the gun down pointing it down range and waited for 1 minute.

This has never happened to me.

Are there certain brands that have a higher proportion of "duds"?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

Sounds more to me like a squib load then a hangfire.

Yup, was a squib, not a hang fire. Very unusual for commercial ammo but not unheard of. Just remember the hundreds of thousands of rounds that roll through those machines and once in a while ya get a dud.

I've had rounds fail to fire, and had one bullet stick in the bore, i.e., the primer worked, but did not ignite powder to drive the bullet out of the barrel. The only hangfire I've ever experienced was with a muzzleloader; I heard the cap pop when the hammer dropped, then nothing, and as I started to left my head up off the stock to look the round went off. Imagine my surprise when it hit the target!

Anyway, think of a hangfire as a delayed firing of the cartridge. Is a bullet stuck in your bore?

Anytime I am shooting,if the recoil felt lighter or non existent,the detonation seemed lighter,anything that seems abnormal and I will clear my gun and make sure the barrel isn't obstructed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Hangfire

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaMan
    I've had rounds fail to fire, and had one bullet stick in the bore, i.e., the primer worked, but did not ignite powder to drive the bullet out of the barrel. The only hangfire I've ever experienced was with a muzzleloader; I heard the cap pop when the hammer dropped, then nothing, and as I started to left my head up off the stock to look the round went off. Imagine my surprise when it hit the target!

Anyway, think of a hangfire as a delayed firing of the cartridge. Is a bullet stuck in your bore?
    It never fired. The round was still in one piece.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That doesn't explain the "pop and smoke." Now I'm confused! Something went off to do that.

I once fired a shotshell reload that went phuut and the shot went about six feet. Broke it down and found the wad lodged in the choke! Rain has run down the barrel and soaked the round.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    It never fired. The round was still in one piece.
    That's called a mis-fire.

And how can that be, considering your previous statement ...

when all I heard was a pop and saw smoke
    You can have one situation or the other, but not both at the same time. Simply not possible.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Whatever the cause it's an extremely unusual situation that you've experienced. Make sure the bore is clear and undamaged before you fire it again. Something isn't right with the situation you describe.

I have seen two hangfires ( sort of ). One was a round of .22lr going through a WD40 soaking test. While the majority of the rimfires just failed to fire after a few weeks under water and or WD40 one had a noticeable delay. I also saw a 12ga flare hangfire when we were wasting flares that were nearly 6 years expired. One hangfired as the shooter was lowering the gun and almost started a brushfire.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The primer fireing could cause smoke and a pop and still not ignite the main charge leaving the cartridge in tact!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Whatever the cause it's an extremely unusual situation that you've experienced. Make sure the bore is clear and undamaged before you fire it again. Something isn't right with the situation you describe.

I have seen two hangfires ( sort of ). One was a round of .22lr going through a WD40 soaking test. While the majority of the rimfires just failed to fire after a few weeks under water and or WD40 one had a noticeable delay. I also saw a 12ga flare hangfire when we were wasting flares that were nearly 6 years expired. One hangfired as the shooter was lowering the gun and almost started a brushfire.
    Yo, Superhouse,
    Just what is the method of getting rid of outdated flares. I've got some on my boat and don't want the CG responding and don't really trust them anyhow. Drop them off at a firestation?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A long time ago...
    I had a factory (Remington if I recall) .45 ACP pop (weirdly) and smoke from the chamber/shroud area. There was no flash hole and the primer blew black around itself. It was wrinkled at the edges all around but other than that and the soot around it, the round looked like you just pulled it out of the box.

Once in a lifetime (hopefully)

Terry

Exsimguy1,
    Wow, what a situation! I was looking at the post by 44s Rock and thinking it's not possible, because the primer firing would at least push the bullet out of the case. But your occurrence makes sense.

I would hope that with todays QC, the no flash hole problem would be non-existent. The last one I saw was a number of years ago (after the aforementioned .45) when in a bulk buy of new 30-06 brass, there was a piece with no flash hole. Caught early, I still have it...someplace. Anyway this is a great reason to Reload... as once fired brass certainly has a flash hole!!!

Safe shooting all,

Terry

Hangfire

Quote Originally Posted by 44s Rock View Post
    The primer fireing could cause smoke and a pop and still not ignite the main charge leaving the cartridge in tact!
    The smoke fizzled out of the chamber, not the bore. It sounded like a snap cap. No bullet in the bore.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links