Hornady Critical Defense

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Put a couple hundred rounds or more of FMJ through it first. Kimber only recommends FMJ so you will need to experiment with any JHP....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense

VIP Member
    Put a couple hundred rounds or more of FMJ through it first. Kimber only recommends FMJ so you will need to experiment with any JHP.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

This is why we always test new ammo before putting into service.

Tried a box of 9mm in a Taurus Mil. Pro. Had 4 or 5 misfires out of half a box. Apparently Hornady had a problem with hard primers. Found some info on the web about the history. I won't waste any more money of their ammo. I need something I can trust my life to. I've used Winchester Rangers (also the Win. white box HPs) in my Kimber Ultra Carry with good results.

Hornady's Critical Defencse run great in my Kimber Ultra. In fact, they were the first round I tried, and since they fed great, I didn't have any reason to branch out.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

DRT
    No thanks. Just use Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T series.

I use Critical Defense in both M&P 9's (FS and Compact). No problems.
    USAF Retired
    NRA Member

I just bought a bunch of HCD in .357 for my Ruger SP101...I don't see a problem for a revolver.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jjkjr View Post
    no problem with my xd9sc........they work just fine.

also no problem with them in my lcp 380
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Timezoneguy View Post
    Just bought some Hornady CD ammo and it wont feed in my Kimber (.45) It appears the rubber inserted hollow point sticks on the feed ramp. Has any body else had this problem?
    Yeah, that was my concern too. I finally found some 185gr Golden Sabers for my Kimber yesterday. I've been running the FMJs for mostly the reliability factor with a slight concern of lack of penetration outa the 3" ultra. I ask the guy what kind of .45 defense rounds he got in and sure enough he tried to sell me on the CD. Then I saw the 185 GS and asked him to pass me that box, "Oh that's a good round too". Yeah, I know, thanks! I'll take a couple boxes.

I really like the CD rounds performance, especially in the smaller calibers. The design seems to be state of the art, but depending on the angle of the feed ramp it may not cycle properly in some firearms.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

They feed fine in my XD9 and 1911. In fact...I have problems with most HP's with a wide mouth in my 1911...the nose profile of the CD functions great.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yeah, that was my concern too. I finally found some 185gr Golden Sabers for my Kimber yesterday. I've been running the FMJs for mostly the reliability factor with a slight concern of lack of penetration outa the 3" ultra. I ask the guy what kind of .45 defense rounds he got in and sure enough he tried to sell me on the CD. Then I saw the 185 GS and asked him to pass me that box, "Oh that's a good round too". Yeah, I know, thanks! I'll take a couple boxes.

I really like the CD rounds performance, especially in the smaller calibers. The design seems to be state of the art, but depending on the angle of the feed ramp it may not cycle properly in some firearms.

There's always EFMJ for those guns that just won't feed JHPs.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Critical Defense

Quote Originally Posted by tartex View Post
    I use Critical Defense in both M&P 9's (FS and Compact). No problems.
    Critical Defense cycles my FS just fine but not my Compact.

Your comment makes me wonder if my M&P 9 Compact has a problem or just needs a lot more rounds sent through it. (well of course it does, but you know what I mean).

There is a noticeable difference in the force required to chamber a round between the FS and Compact. I can't say the Compact is twice as hard to manually cycle, but it's pushing it. They both shoot standard winchester white box without problems.

The only difference I can think of is that I have put 2000 rounds or so through the FS (without a single failure) and perhaps only 2-300 through the Compact.

In any case, the Compact is my carry gun and I'm not ready to bet my life on the Critical Defense rounds in it. Going to try some Corbon or Ranger T series and see how they do.

This is just a second of an earlier poster that, even though it's an expensive test, you have to take the ammo you depend on out to the range and verify that it works with the gun you carry.

I'd like to say I was highly organized and did just that, but the truth is I picked up the wrong magazine off the table at the range and was accidentally shooting the "expensive" stuff. When I started getting failures, all I could think of was how long I have been carrying these around "assuming" they would work if I needed them. Imagine the hilarity that would have ensued in a genuine emergency..

Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Echo View Post
    Critical Defense cycles my FS just fine but not my Compact.

Your comment makes me wonder if my M&P 9 Compact has a problem or just needs a lot more rounds sent through it. (well of course it does, but you know what I mean).

There is a noticeable difference in the force required to chamber a round between the FS and Compact. I can't say the Compact is twice as hard to manually cycle, but it's pushing it. They both shoot standard winchester white box without problems.

The only difference I can think of is that I have put 2000 rounds or so through the FS (without a single failure) and perhaps only 2-300 through the Compact.

In any case, the Compact is my carry gun and I'm not ready to bet my life on the Critical Defense rounds in it. Going to try some Corbon or Ranger T series and see how they do.

This is just a second of an earlier poster that, even though it's an expensive test, you have to take the ammo you depend on out to the range and verify that it works with the gun you carry.

I'd like to say I was highly organized and did just that, but the truth is I picked up the wrong magazine off the table at the range and was accidentally shooting the "expensive" stuff. When I started getting failures, all I could think of was how long I have been carrying these around "assuming" they would work if I needed them. Imagine the hilarity that would have ensued in a genuine emergency..

Lesson learned.
    You have made me think, 18Echo. Although I have fired Critical Defense in both guns, I haven't fired many rounds (for the rea$ons you mentioned. I'll run a more thorough test with both guns the next time I go to the range.
    USAF Retired
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmrswr View Post
    Tried a box of 9mm in a Taurus Mil. Pro. Had 4 or 5 misfires out of half a box. Apparently Hornady had a problem with hard primers. Found some info on the web about the history. I won't waste any more money of their ammo. I need something I can trust my life to. I've used Winchester Rangers (also the Win. white box HPs) in my Kimber Ultra Carry with good results.
    I have a box of the Hornady CD in .38 +P and had a failure to fire at the range on Sunday. It was the first time I have had new ammunition that did not fire. I am probably going to buy something else for my carry ammo.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I have had zero issues through my XD but had the same issues with my Springfield EMP, but I used to have issues with everything feeding in my EMP but a quick trip to Springfield CS and have had no more issues, feeds CD just fine now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links