Super Vel .380

This is a discussion on Super Vel .380 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From time to time I see people asking about Super Vel ammo and I have had a full and a partial box of .380 Super ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Vel .380

Super Vel .380

From time to time I see people asking about Super Vel ammo and I have had a full and a partial box of .380 Super Vel 88gr JHP for a while now (mine were packaged in Shelbyville, Ind) and I decided to burn off a few to see what the hub bub was all about..

Let me say that these things are H O T, I am talking shooting fire 2 feet out of the end of a TCP hot, so hot in fact that every one of the spent cases have a massive bulge bordering on complete case failure.

My wife and I went through 100 rounds of S&B .380 and I checked a dozen or so of the spent brass and found no deformations of any kind so I dont think it is a lack of chamber support in the PT738 barrel.

Without further ado, here is a shot of a couple of the fired cases, I have a shot that isnt cropped if you want something clearer but not nearly as close up.

2. Remove Ads

it bulged out like that and was completely supported?
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

No idea what caused your problem. It has got to be "old" stuff as SV have not been around for years. SV was "hot" stuff, I shot .38 and .357 SV for years, from when it first came out, and never had a problem. That yellow box brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    it bulged out like that and was completely supported?

Yes sir, I was pretty shocked myself.

I don't see how it could bulge like that being fully supported. Was there any hesitation in firing? I'm wondering if the powder fizzeled, then caught as the casing was begining to eject.

Notice the crease just above the bulge? Looks to correspond with the feed ramp. I think this might indicate the barrel does not fully support the case. Probably not an issue for a standard load, but the hot rounds....

Here's a pic of my LCP barrel with a round in the chamber. Notice the area near the feed ramp leaves the case exposed. Is your Taurus the same way?

Last edited by takurpic; June 13th, 2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Added pic

Well you guys got me thinking so I pulled the barrel out of the TCP and I almost fell out of my chair when I saw how much of the case that is not supported, I never even thought to look untill now, it appears the rounds are NOT fully supported, I said that they were because I assumed and I was wrong, my apologies.

I took a couple of quick photos because I dont want to hide the fact that I was wrong and felt the need to disclose how wrong I was.

The first shows a cartridge in the chamber.

Second shot is the Super Vel case next to a WWB case fired from the same weapon.

I'm not a .380 fan so I don't know if other or earlier models supported the case better. I do see it as another indication of the downloading of ammo over earlier versions.

Is WWB downloaded as a practice round?

It might be good to test some other loads that are touted as defensive rounds. I'd volunteer, but all I have on hand .380 FMJ in Blazer and Remington, no JHPs.

I dont have it on hand but I found something a while back saying that the Super Vel was chrono graphed at about 1100-1200 fps, from what I understand most ball .380 is 920-1000 fps depending on the brand,

I will try to find the post that has the chrono info and post a link here, I have been hit with a Honey Do list as long as my arm so I am having to steal a moment here and there to check this thread.

In the respect I was speaking, I think the test would have to compare the power of current defensive rounds with that of older production. Now granted, some of that is attributed to the advance of bullet technology requiring less power to do the job. Interesting subject.

IIRC SV was on of the first types of ammo available that went to the lighter projectile, higher velocity concept. When we (Dept) made the switch (.38) it was from 158gr lead at about 850fps, to SV 110gr at around 1000 to 1200 fps.

ETA: It was effective.

I cant find the post that gave the 1100-1200 numbers but post #19 says he was getting 1050 from his 380 Super Vels.

Super Vel Ammo.......... - Page 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Oh my gosh! Another unsupported chamber. It's gonna go KaBoom!

Seriously, that is a bit scary, and I'd be hesitant to fire more of them. They look right on the verge of rupturing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Oh my gosh! Another unsupported chamber. It's gonna go KaBoom!

Seriously, that is a bit scary, and I'd be hesitant to fire more of them. They look right on the verge of rupturing.

I am still waiting for my G23 to kaboom, guess I just havent shot it enough

I dont plan on shooting any more of these from the TCP, thats for sure, I may try to get one of the guys at my local range to shot s couple from their Sig or Walther so I can film the muzzle blast.

Yeah, that looks like a kaboom in the making right there... I'd be hesitant about firing that stuff from that pistol for sure, and I'd check the barrel of any firearm I was planning to shoot it with, and make sure it was fully supported. JM2C

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links