Help me pick LEO ammo in .40

This is a discussion on Help me pick LEO ammo in .40 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To make a long story short, friend of a friend is an LEO at a small local agency. While talking guns and ammo and such ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick LEO ammo in .40

To make a long story short, friend of a friend is an LEO at a small local agency. While talking guns and ammo and such I found a round of .40 S&W Hydra Shok set back into the case a dangerous amount in his duty gun (!) Repeated chambering and un-chambering had shortened it far to much to be safe. Agency policy is ".40 caliber hollow point ammunition". That's it. His duty gun is a 4006 S&W 3rd generation. For Father's day we are chipping in on a couple boxes of ammo for him, and have inspected what he has left and distributed safe ammo to his primary and back up magazines. Here in FL, in June, we can safely say penetrating heavy clothing is not an issue. The last .40 shooting I was able to review had some failures involving the Ranger SXT (which prompted that agency to go to the GAP) against a car door.

In stock we have:
    155gr Gold Dot
    165gr Gold Saber
    180gr Hydra Shok
    180gr Gold Saber
    135gr PD Hydra Shok
    180gr Remington JHP
    180gr Magtech JHP

Those listed in order of my probable preference. Your thoughts or experiences with these loads are welcome. I confess to owning only one .40 cal pistol and I keep 135gr Quick Shok in that. How best to equip this hard-working single dad based on your, or your agencies experience, good or bad? Also consider the fact that cash is tight so probably enough to fire a full load from each magazine, then reload and carry them, is all we can probably afford. All have the same flat profile as the 180gr Independance FMJFP issued for training, and a ramp polish was already done, by me, for him.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

From that list - Gold Dot. If it were me, Corbon DPX. I'm sorta surprised the department doesn't specify ammo.

I've tried the 155 Gold Dot and find it suitable. No experience with the others.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I typically would go for the Gold Dot, but prefer a heavier bullet for LE use. From the list, I'd choose the 180gr gold saber.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The 180gr Golden Sabre, if limited to choosing from the list.

Otherwise, I'd be looking for 180 HST, Ranger-T, or Gold Dot.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm of the "hit 'em with the heaviest thing you can" school of thought. 180 grain, probably the Sabers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When we carried the G22's we carried the 165 Golden Sabers. Now that we are carrying the G21 we carry the 230 Golden Sabers. I carry the 135 Hydra Shok in my G23 off duty.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    To make a long story short, friend of a friend is an LEO at a small local agency. While talking guns and ammo and such I found a round of .40 S&W Hydra Shok set back into the case a dangerous amount in his duty gun (!) Repeated chambering and un-chambering had shortened it far to much to be safe.

Why's he unloading it so often? better yet why is he not practicing more? them bullets shouldn't be hanging around long enough to set back. Even if he stops by the range once a week and fires 4-5 shots he's practicing, building muscle memory and confidence, rotating his ammo, and only burning through 5 boxes of ammo a year.

Senior Moderator
    I'd be willing to be that he comes home, unloads his handgun and puts it back in the holster where he sets the whole thing in his closet.

When he goes back, he puts his stuff on and rechambers the round.

Eventually, it will set the bullet back. It is something that one must be aware of.

For an LEO to stop by the range once of week is unrealistic for most of them. They just dont have that luxury.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    The last .40 shooting I was able to review had some failures involving the Ranger SXT (which prompted that agency to go to the GAP) against a car door.
    Our issued ammo was the Ranger SXT at one time. The one shooting that I am aware of at a car door resulted in the bullet going through the door and hitting the driver in the leg where it broke the leg and caused the driver to crash.

He ran a road block and nearly ran over a Deputy.

In that case, the SXT worked well, but it wasn't a .40 it was a .45.

Although it worked that time, it does seem that pistol rounds on cars cannot be counted on to work. While they may work some of the time, I don't think many of them work all of the time. Switching ammo because of a failure on a car door doesn't seem to smart to me...escpecially going with a caliber that is fading into obscurity...like the .45 GAP.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

165 Gold Dots in G27 & 23. Work great and very accurate. 50 through the 27 is about all I care to shoot at one time but 100+ in the 23 is comfortable.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Our issued ammo was the Ranger SXT at one time. The one shooting that I am aware of at a car door resulted in the bullet going through the door and hitting the driver in the leg where it broke the leg and caused the driver to crash.

He ran a road block and nearly ran over a Deputy.

In that case, the SXT worked well, but it wasn't a .40 it was a .45.

Although it worked that time, it does seem that pistol rounds on cars cannot be counted on to work. While they may work some of the time, I don't think many of them work all of the time. Switching ammo because of a failure on a car door doesn't seem to smart to me...escpecially going with a caliber that is fading into obscurity...like the .45 GAP.
    The shooting was from several officers at someone behind a car door. The majority of the loads fragmented and gave poor results on the other side of the door. That agency (well, it's not a secret, the FL Highway Patrol) had switched from 165gr Gold Dot to the SXT on a bid. They are in the process of trading their Beretta 96s for the GAP, and from what we hear, getting the Glocks for free. I think that giving them away to large agencies is the only way to keep it from fading away.

Range practice ammo is not in this agencies budget. In fact, they want to reduce the amount of qualification shoots per year.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I would go with the Gold Dot. I had some issues with Corbon DPX misfires so I would not recommend them, even if it may have just been a bad box!

GSP use the Gold Dots, and due that, that's what I try to keep in my stuff. My new Sig liked it, so it's getting set up with it tonight.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Winchester Ranger 180gr bonded.
    They have excellent expansion and the lead is less likely to seperate from the copper shell.
    Also very consistant with the expansion.
    Look on YouTube, there are a couple ballictics test with this round.
    This is what I carry.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links