How long should you carry your defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on How long should you carry your defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 19 every day. I don't get out to the shooting range alot because I am a broke college student. Is there ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long should you carry your defensive ammo?

How long should you carry your defensive ammo?

I carry a Glock 19 every day. I don't get out to the shooting range alot because I am a broke college student. Is there a certain amount of time that you should carry your defensive ammo in your gun before you shoot it all and buy some new ammo?

2. Remove Ads

Not that I'm aware of. I've been storing practice ammo for a year now. The ammo doesn't know where it is so put it anywhere you want, preferably dry & cool places are best.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Senior Moderator
    As long as it looks good it ought to be alright.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As long as it is clean and dry it will work fine.

Don't soak it in oil or solvent, or allow some sort of corrosion to take hold of it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I shoot off my carry ammo about twice a year. It's probably not necessary though. Earlier this year I shot some Hydra-shoks from about 1997 I found in the back of my closet. They worked fine.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

How long to carry your Social Ammo?

I used to cycle all of my social ammo twice a year. Now with the cost and scarceity of it, I will be holding onto it longer. I am shooting practice ammo that I reload with 15 year old primers that have been stored in dry and cool environment. No issues with that ammo either.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I carry a Glock 19 every day. I don't get out to the shooting range alot because I am a broke college student. Is there a certain amount of time that you should carry your defensive ammo in your gun before you shoot it all and buy some new ammo?
    Yes, about every thirty days or less. Buy new and send all the old stuff to me. I will dispose of it for you free of charge.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Yes, about every thirty days or less. Buy new and send all the old stuff to me. I will dispose of it for you free of charge.
    I like this one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Beat me to it!

I think the main thing you want to worry about is how often you chamber the same round, bullet setback, I haven't seen it but I hear a lot about it. I try to rotate the rounds in my carry magazine when I have to rechamber.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

haha I saw those responses coming, then i would definitely be a broke college student if i sent away all my ammo! haha.

Joker1- So if I chamber a round every morning carry all day, then empty the chamber when i go to sleep that will wear down the bullets?

You will get bullet setback in the case. I advise you to just load the gun and leave it loaded. Repeated chambering and unchambering is unsafe.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    till you need it....or just plain feel like shooting and replacing it...

haha I saw those responses coming, then i would definitely be a broke college student if i sent away all my ammo! haha.

Joker1- So if I chamber a round every morning carry all day, then empty the chamber when i go to sleep that will wear down the bullets?
    Yeah, I would avoid doing that. If you can, leave it loaded (unless you are cleaning, showing, practicing drawing, etc.). It doesn't wear the bullets down so much as possibly push them deeper into the case. This can result in excessive pressure when the round is fired. Probably not a pretty sight having your favorite carry piece explode in your hand.

I carry my EDC all day and then lock it in a nightstand lockbox at night but it is loaded and ready to go. I don't recommend leaving a loaded firearm anywhere but LOCKED in some kind of lock box if you have children or jackass roomates around.

If you must unload your gun every night, I would suggest rotating the previously chambered round to the bottom of the magazine and chambering a different round. If you do this you may want to shoot up your carry magazine at some point before setback sets in. I don't know how many chamberings it takes to achieve setback and I'm sure it is infinitely variable depending on the gun, the ammo, heat, humidity, age of ammo, if the ammo was made on a Tuesday or a Friday, if you sligshot the slide or not, etc. Someone mentioned keeping 2 factory rounds out of circulation and using them to compare overall height with a straightedge. You could also measure them if you know the specification.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

An unnecessary routine, just load it up and be done with it. I'm a broke college student as well

AzB
    Ammo stays good for decades. About the only thing that will hurt it is submerging it in liquid for a long time.

I just shot some 60 year old ammo that had been stored in a hot Georgia attic for at least 4 decades of it's life. It all shot fine.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links