What ammo do you shoot in your Taurus 709

This is a discussion on What ammo do you shoot in your Taurus 709 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the manual that came with my new (used) Taurus 709 basically says they recommend FMJ thru the 709 and I've heard taurus does not ...

Thread: What ammo do you shoot in your Taurus 709

What ammo do you shoot in your Taurus 709

So the manual that came with my new (used) Taurus 709 basically says they recommend FMJ thru the 709 and I've heard taurus does not suggest to use +p ammo... what range/practice and what SD ammo do you use?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    So the manual that came with my new (used) Taurus 709 basically says they recommend FMJ thru the 709 and I've heard taurus does not suggest to use +p ammo... what range/practice and what SD ammo do you use?
    I used my dads 115g FMJ for practice and 147g speed gold dots for defense. The reloads fed somewhat reliable. The SGD's fed well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Pkupmn98 View Post
    Taurus' web site says that all their handguns are safe for +P (sorry, I don't have the URL for that statement off the top of my head).
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I shoot 115 gr (no +P), FMJ for practice (mostly Federal and American Eagle) and JHP for SD (Hornady CD). Been flawless over 1,000 rounds so far.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

When I got my 709 (mfg/ May 2010), I called the Taurus folks to ask about the extractor breakage I'd read about in the past, and to see what, if anything they recommended with regard to ammo. I had also read some complaints about finicky feeding.

According to the Customer Service rep, the extractor problem was corrected prior to the time mine was made. He said to stick with high quality, US-made ammo (same thing the Glock guy told me several years ago). I told him I stick with Hornady, Winchester, Federal, and Remington for carry loads. He said I should not expect problems, but he DID recommend AGAINST running +P ammo in the 709.

At the range I use/have used Blazer, WWB, Fed Am Eagle, UMC, Mag Tech, PMC and some reloads my little Brother came up with for the .380. If I limp-wrist it, the Bersa, Taurus, & Glock will all get my attention with a “stovepipe”. As if to say “if you want to nap, take up bank-fishing”. I don't blame the gun or the ammo. I blame the old fool behind the sights.

AzB
    I've run Remington fmj, Federal fmj and hp, and Speer Gold Dot. Never an issue.

I also tried some old ammo from the Spanish civil war and WWB. It didn't like those.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I also shoot 115gr Federal FMJ Ammo and have been very pleased with the results, no misfire or jams.

I carry federal HST 147 grain.The LEo kind.

Links