Car doors as cover ??

Car doors as cover ??

This is a discussion on Car doors as cover ?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you eaver considered using a car door for cover i suggest you trot over to tfl http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=213488 and take a gander...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Car doors as cover ??

If you eaver considered using a car door for cover i suggest you trot over to tfl http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=213488 and take a gander
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Second chances owner Richard Davis used to test all types of stuff to see how well it would with stand bullets. I remember watching videos he produced shooting engine blocks, car doors ect.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I always rated a car door as little more than concealment.

Watching the N Hollywood shootout made me realize that in fact a whole darned car ain't much use against AK's and AP rounds!

Think on it - outer steel skin - maybe 18 gauge at best, could be 20 - then odd bits inside which may not include glass if window up - then flimsy internal upholstery panel - not much at all! It has to be way more ''psychological'' cover than real cover.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    How about a wheel well as cover. Much more metal there and stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy
    How about a wheel well as cover. Much more metal there and stopping power.
    Much more metal? You're kidding right? While I have never shot a car before Jeeps are my hobby and I can tell you that there isn't that much more metal in a wheel well. Heck, depending on the car in a wheel well there might be more plastic then metal then in a door.

I used to work for a company that made the stamping dies used in making car body parts such as the inner and outer door panels, trunk & hood panels, roof, etc. The typical thickness of the steel used for these parts is between 0.6 ~ 0.85 millimeters. Car doors(and a car body in general) is basically VERY thin metal enclosing mostly empty space!!! Only in very few areas, such as near the 'A'/'B' pillars, does the door metal thickness exceed 1mm...typically 1.2~1.5 to support the weight where the hinges connect the car frame and the door together.

Also, the doors on your typical car are only made of two layers of metal; the outer skin panel, and the inner panel that the skin panel is clamped/folded onto. The interior panels are just vinyl covered plastic or particle board...not the best bullet stoppers. To save weight, the inner panel has LOTS OF HOLES punched into it, often exceeding 100-130 holes. The end result is the bare minimum of metal needed to keep the door's desired shape, rigidity, and weight supporting characteristics; the rest is methodically removed as the thin sheet metal is transformed into door shaped thin sheet metal.

Long story short...car doors are concealment, NOT cover!!
    Despite the results of the testing posted in the firingline.com link, I wouldn't bet my life on a typical car door being able to to even stop a .22 consistantly.
    Last edited by BushidoMarine; June 15th, 2006 at 01:21 AM.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Here's a thought... if anything hide behind tires (if you're small and got big tires).

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine
    I used to work for a company that made the stamping dies used in making car body parts such as the inner and outer door panels, trunk & hood panels, roof, etc. The typical thickness of the steel used for these parts is between 0.6 ~ 0.85 millimeters. Car doors(and a car body in general) is basically VERY thin metal enclosing mostly empty space!!! Only in very few areas, such as near the 'A'/'B' pillars, does the door metal thickness exceed 1mm...typically 1.2~1.5 to support the weight where the hinges connect the car frame and the door together.

Also, the doors on your typical car are only made of two layers of metal; the outer skin panel, and the inner panel that the skin panel is clamped/folded onto. The interior panels are just vinyl covered plastic or particle board...not the best bullet stoppers. To save weight, the inner panel has LOTS OF HOLES punched into it, often exceeding 100-130 holes. The end result is the bare minimum of metal needed to keep the door's desired shape, rigidity, and weight supporting characteristics; the rest is methodically removed as the thin sheet metal is transformed into door shaped thin sheet metal.

Long story short...car doors are concealement, NOT cover!!
    I wouldn't trust a typical car door to even stop a .22...

VIP Member
    When I said wheel wells I was thinking that the wheels of a car is thicker metal than the metal of a door.

I was always trained front wheel, with the engine block between you and the bad guys...If at all possible.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Never trust ammunition to over or underpenetrate. I once had an ND. Fired a .357 Mag HP inside a travel trailer. LOUD! Anyway, the round penetrated one layer of an overhanging bunk's lightweight wood "cabinet" face, and came to rest inside a thin mattress. After I got over the shock of the ND, I really got to thinking that there are no guarantees in a gunfight.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Lead Moderator
    Doors? I don't think so, maybe engine block.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I always rated a car door as little more than concealment.
    Excellent point!

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I tend to error on the side of caution; most everything is concealment not cover. The TV shows that have people taking cover behind refrigerator doors and interior walls and the same stopping the bullet crack me up,
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Lead Moderator
    I wonder how alum. wheels stop bullets, compared to steel wheels? Engine blocks should be o.k., but remember there is some sheetmetal above where the engine sits making up the hood and fenders.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by mark555
    I tend to error on the side of caution; most everything is concealment not cover. The TV shows that have people taking cover behind refrigerator doors and interior walls and the same stopping the bullet crack me up,
    Yeah, I just watched Mr & Mrs Smith and it's entertaining to see how all of the bullets only dented the fridge doors. That must be a hell of a fridge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links