Ballistics Testing 10MM

This is a discussion on Ballistics Testing 10MM within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I was trying to wait for all my ammo to come in to start the ballistics testing but I couldn't so I tested what ...

Thread: Ballistics testing 10MM

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

Ballistics testing 10MM

Ok, I was trying to wait for all my ammo to come in to start the ballistics testing but I couldn't so I tested what I had on hand. I didn't do it the most scientific way just used what I had at the house.
    Ammo tested:
    Winchester Super-X Silvertip Hollow Point - 175Gr
    Winchester Black Talon - 200Gr
    American Eagle round nose - 200Gr
    First test:
    I stacked and compressed 2X4's and topped them with a 4X4. testing for pure penatration.
    Both the AE and the BT penatrated 8" and retained 99% of there bullet shape.
    The Silvertip only penatrated 7 1/4 and mushroomed slightly. I would say 85% retention of bullet shape
    Second test:
    I placed a phone book 2.25" thick under a fresh 4X4 the book had been soaking in water for two days and placed them on top of 2X4's
    The AE went through the 4X4 and the book and dimpled the first 2X4.
    It didn mushroom slightly but not much exspantion.
    The BT went through the 4X4 and the book and stoped on top of the 2X4 I almost completely flatened out great exspantion with good penatration
    The SilverTip penatrated the 4X4 and 2" of the book It had great expantion but the lack of wait caused the limited penatration.

I am very pleased with my Black Talons and I will be carrying them until I can test the rest of the ammo I ordered. Next test will be DoubleTapp. I have 200, 230 hardcase coming and 180 JHP.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

Ballistic testing is fun, isn't it?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Ballistic testing is fun, isn't it?
    YUP! I tried shooting through a 2X4 into water and found out that my kitchen garbage can thats 28" deep isn't deep enough and now I am waiting for the old lady to find the holes in the can. woops
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So what you're saying is: When BG is hiding behind a 4x4 and a soggy phone book, shoot him with the Black Talons.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So what you're saying is: When BG is hiding behind a 4x4 and a soggy phone book, shoot him with the Black Talons.
    well until I get to test all the double tapp stuff! My buddy says the 200 grain Hardcase is the ticket for maximum penatration. 700+ ftlbs.

My 500 rounds of double tap should be here Friday!!!!!! I can't wait to continue testing. I think I might try and make some home brew ballistics gel for this round!

VIP Member
    I guess I need to save some paper magazines and try your test.

Just a thought but real 200gr 10mm BT is getting pretty old by now. And kind of has a little collector value, too.

A trick we use is to pack newspaper into a plain old 5 gallon paint bucket. Add a few drops of soap and fill it with water, and keep filling till it gets totally saturated. It will contain just about every JHP from a handgun. If you shoot something that you expect deep penetration feom, stack two buckets. The buckets are so much easier and neater than lugging wet phonebooks around.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Just a thought but real 200gr 10mm BT is getting pretty old by now. And kind of has a little collector value, too.

A trick we use is to pack newspaper into a plain old 5 gallon paint bucket. Add a few drops of soap and fill it with water, and keep filling till it gets totally saturated. It will contain just about every JHP from a handgun. If you shoot something that you expect deep penetration feom, stack two buckets. The buckets are so much easier and neater than lugging wet phonebooks around.
    I am gonna try that thanks. As far as the BT's having some collector value I have 357,45, and 9 for sale in the classifieds here!

None of the tested rounds are true 10mm velocity.The SilverTip is loaded hottest but the design of the Silvertip was made for non barrier.That is why you see police using bonded ammo like the Gold Dot which has good penetration against barriers like car doors and windshields.I would use the newer Winchester T series ammo over the Black Talon.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter won View Post
    None of the tested rounds are true 10mm velocity.The SilverTip is loaded hottest but the design of the Silvertip was made for non barrier.That is why you see police using bonded ammo like the Gold Dot which has good penetration against barriers like car doors and windshields.I would use the newer Winchester T series ammo over the Black Talon.
    Double tapp will be here friday. That is the hottest hard hittingest ammo I have found. It is supposed to be Much hotter than winchester T.

Double Tapp has a "230 grain" Bullet advertised that is a 170 grain JHP with a 60 grain lead ball packed under it.

Any of Y'all own or used this one?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

I haven't I will try and order some next shippment so stay posted I will let ya know when I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by PairA10s View Post
    Double Tapp has a "230 grain" Bullet advertised that is a 170 grain JHP with a 60 grain lead ball packed under it.

Any of Y'all own or used this one?
    Duplex loads like that have been tried for decades and none have been successful or have been used on the street enough to deem them adequate or inadequate for self defense. This is the one time I err with the majority and say stick to a decent FMJ or JHP bullet and leave the gimmick ammo to Hollywood.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links