So is there a 9mm 147+p

So is there a 9mm 147+p

This is a discussion on So is there a 9mm 147+p within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive seen some discussion about 147grain +P, but Ive never actually seen any. I thought maybe its just re loaders that may do this, but ...

So is there a 9mm 147+p

Ive seen some discussion about 147grain +P, but Ive never actually seen any. I thought maybe its just re loaders that may do this, but I had to ask the question.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I have a bunch of Federal HST 147g+P. Carry it in my PM9 daily. Not sure if there's others out there though.

BB carries a 147gr +P+.

I have some,but my last purchase was Ranger T 127+P+
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

ive been searching online, with not much luck...This round could possibly be hard on the gun. I know most guns dont like a steady diet of most +p rounds. Given the weight of the 147, probably explains why its not a highly stocked item.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I just saw that DT has some 147g+P FMJ:
    DoubleTap Ammunition

Quoted text from another forum. I did a search since I figured it might help me explain this in more simple terms than what I might attempt to myself. This was posted in 2004 by the way, but the concept is still the same today. Remember that E=MC˛ and ballistics involve limitations.
    The main reason you don't see much in the way of 147gr +P is that the 9mm cartridge is already pretty short. For its size it's highly efficient, but there isn't much spare room inside to add more powder. The 147gr bullet is a tad longer than the lighter loads, and has to be seated a bit more deeply in order to keep the overall cartridge length within spec. As others have mentioned, there are already several excellent offerings in standard pressure at this weight, the Ranger T, Gold Dot and Golden Saber being among the best. Pick one of these and save both you and your pistol from the extra battering of the +P and +P+ blasters.

I have a box of 50 9 mm 147 grain +p double tap hollow points, loaded with the gold dot bullets, from before they switched all their products. If anyone's interested PM me and you can have them for whatever the going price is on the DT website.

Is there much difference in performance of +P in 147gn and 3" barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Is there much difference in performance of +P in 147gn and 3" barrel?
    That's a good question and I'm interested in a good answer as well. I've got a bunch of standard pressure 147g HST also but carry the +P in my PM9. It feeds just as reliable as the standard pressure at the range but I wonder how much of a ballistic advantage, if any, I'm getting with my +P stuff? I got the +P by accident with an online ammo order. They screwed up and put a few boxes in with my larger standard pressure order. It would have been a pain to ship it back so I thought I'd just give it a try. I figure it can't hurt as long as it fed reliably. Makes me feel more macho having +P though.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Remember that E=MC˛ and ballistics involve limitations.
    That would be the nuclear option, which admittedly would be really really impressive!

I think you want the more prosaic Newtonian: E = 1/2 MV**2

Links