+P in 40 cal - if not why not?

This is a discussion on +P in 40 cal - if not why not? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is this already a hot enough load to not require a +P? I am just curious as to why no sign of it. Again, if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +P in 40 cal - if not why not?

Distinguished Member

Is this already a hot enough load to not require a +P?

I am just curious as to why no sign of it.

Again, if this has been discussed, please point me to the thread. Or if there is a good primer on ammo please point me to that as well.

Thanks.

10mm would be the hot version for a 40 cal

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Is this already a hot enough load to not require a +P?

I am just curious as to why no sign of it.

Again, if this has been discussed, please point me to the thread. Or if there is a good primer on ammo please point me to that as well.

Thanks.
    .40 is pretty much at max pressure the way it is, which is why there's no SAAMI spec for .40+P.

However, that doesn't stop some manufacturers from making what they claim is .40+P...which just means that .40+P is whatever the manufacturer wants it to be.

Personally, I'd avoid it...or just go with a full-strength 10mm as suggested above.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have a .40 cal., if I wanted something hotter I'd have gone with the 10mm.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Why mess with perfection?

.40 caliber doesn't need +P, it's just right!

Member of:
    National Rifle Association
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Defensive Carry
    United States Conceal Carry Association

Quote Originally Posted by BigRAM View Post
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

True to my thinking as well. Seems there was another thread recently about this, but I could be thinking about the one concerning 9mm 147gr and +P loadings. As some have already said, the 40S&W cartridge is pretty much engineered already pushing the envelope or package. I don't want to step in poo here, but I do think the 40S&W caliber has the most going for it other than the 45acp perhaps. I can already feel something astir from the 10mm folks here, but I just figure on the 40cal being the most widely used for carry now in anything above 9mm (this would include the 357sig) in semi auto pistols. In terms of history, it will take a long time to surpass the 45acp in overall statistics since the 1911 was our service weapon for so many years on the battle front.

i saw some recently at a gun show. Georgia Arms loading a 180 gr Gold dot. About 100 fps faster iirc than the commercial Speer load. I would buy it if that formula was the only premium JHP cartridge to be found. OTOH the higher velocity is probably mostly just added noise and recoil so I wouldn't go away from my preferred 40SW SD load to acquire it either.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Ive been a 45 and 9mm guy. Ive been shooting my friends xd40 the past 2 days, because im thinking about buying it from him. I am really liking the 40. The 9 is still cheapest to shoot, but the 45 hasn't been getting shot due to ammo prices. I wish I would have bought a 40 years ago now.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

When I reload the 40 I tend to load on the minimum powder charge for the bullet weight I'm shooting and then chronograph them,and they still seem pretty stout compared to 9 or even 45
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Corbon did make a .40 S&W +P 135 grain Nosler back in the early 90's.Not sure why they stopped making the +P version.That round was the top street stopper back in the day I now have only a few rounds left.I shot the remaining ammo at coyotes and deer with devastating results, of course all shots were under 30 yards.The 10mm is loaded to 40 S&W velocity by most of the major companies.Corbon, Buffalo Boar,Double Tap load some hot ammo.

there you go.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I am gonna stir the pot here and say what I am thinking:
    Why not dump the 40 cal??? 9mm ammo has improved dramatically with some of the 147 grain +p stuff. There is little difference in power between good 9mm ammo and what they offer in 40. I Think the 10mm is the only way to go. STOP MAKING 40'S AND START MAKING 10'S!! I know people aren't gonna like this but its my opinion.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Personally, I'd rather dump the 9mm.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I like the power of the .40 just the way it is, out of the box. I have two and they certainly work and hit very hard without a +p rating. My 2 schillings worth.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links