A little 380 ACP ammo test for ya (results pictures)

This is a discussion on A little 380 ACP ammo test for ya (results pictures) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a little 380 ACP testing today, and am glad that I can finally give a little back to the forum. I tested 3 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little 380 ACP ammo test for ya (results pictures)

A little 380 ACP ammo test for ya (results pictures)

I did a little 380 ACP testing today, and am glad that I can finally give a little back to the forum. I tested 3 different loads today, it would have been 4 but I forgot the Speer Gold Dot . What I did shoot was Winchester PDX1, Hornady Critical Defense, and Remington UMC cheap-o jhp's.

Each round was shot out of a Kahr P380, at 15 feet, into 3 water filled jugs. The first jug was covered with 2 layers of t-shirt. I live in FL, so I carry my 380 sometimes as a main gun, or as a bug during the summer. And it summer, the only material the round must go through is a t-shirt.

Results: Each round penetrated into the 3rd jug, and expanded fully. The winner by FAR is the PDX1!!! The entry hole through the t-shirt was MASSIVE (I forgot to take pics, sorry). Easily 3 times as large as the other rounds. And it was easily twice as big when it expanded. The PDX1 is my choice for a 380 sd round. I know speer makes a good 380 round too, but this PDX1 stuff is pretty amazing, and a tad heavier. Here are the pics, and start your never ending search for some 380 PDX1!!!

Note: I will say that the Hornady Critical Defense shell stuck in my extractor causing a jam. After reading enough about Hornady's issues with the Critical Defense ammo and their primers being a problem. I am no longer going to load this round in my gun for protection. I just DO NOT trust it, it's a great idea in theory, but maybe another company will come up with a good heavy-clothing-penetration bullet for the 380 with less issues.

PS - sorry they aren't in order.....and I'm not the best photographer, I did the best I could

"Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice. You have just put a smile on my .380 loving face.

Wow thanks alot for this! I would like to see Speer Gold Dot VS PDX. I carry the Speer Gold Dot special load for short barrels in my 9mm XD Subcompact. My girl just got herself a Ruger LCP which is a .380 and I bought her the PDX-1's for it as a defense round because it was what I carried in my XD prior to reading about Speer Gold Dot's advantages. PDX-1... looks like a great round to me!
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Great thread. Thank you.

looks like all three open well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Results: Each round penetrated into the 3rd jug, and expanded fully. The winner by FAR is the PDX1!!! The entry hole through the t-shirt was MASSIVE (I forgot to take pics, sorry). Easily 3 times as large as the other rounds. And it was easily twice as big when it expanded. The PDX1 is my choice for a 380 sd round. I know speer makes a good 380 round too, but this PDX1 stuff is pretty amazing, and a tad heavier. Here are the pics, and start your never ending search for some 380 PDX1!!!
    Ammunitiontogo.com currently has these in stock.

.380HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

As one who keeps PDX1 in both my LCP and my PPK I like what I see.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Appreciate your doing this -- and my H&K 4 appreciates it too.

Looks like I'll have to grab some of the PDX1 rounds next time I'm at the gun store
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

You stated that the entry hole on t shirt material was massive with the PDX1. That would lead me to be concerned with penatration. Have you conducted or researched any testing with t shirt material covering ballistic gel to check penatration? Moderate velocities, light bullets and rapid exspansion might justify more testing. The PDX1 might have enough weight at 95g to achieve good penatration.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    PDX1 is pretty impressive. I wish it was available in 9mm Mak. So far, the only SD ammo I've seen in Mak is the Hornady, and no one seems to have it in stock.

You said a large "entry" hole with the PDX1? I don't understand why that would be.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Regarding the primer issues with Hornady's Critical Defense - my understanding is that the silver-colored primers are the problem. If you have gold-colored primers, you should be OK.

All mine have the gold-colored primers (contrasts nicely with the nickel cases) and I've had no duds so far.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Great job. I P/U some at Academy for about 17.00 for 20rds

I don't understand how an entry hole can be bigger than any other entry hole, except if the bullet was tumbling before it hit or something. They should all have the same sized entry hole.

Emrah

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA2669 View Post
    Wow thanks alot for this! I would like to see Speer Gold Dot VS PDX.
    Me too. I have my LCP loaded with gold dots because that was all I could find back when I got it.
    XD40sc & LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links