What brand ammo do you carry in your LCP??

This is a discussion on What brand ammo do you carry in your LCP?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally saved up enough/ got of the wallet (haha) and went out and bought myself a brand new Ruger LCP today and put 50 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand ammo do you carry in your LCP??

I finally saved up enough/ got of the wallet (haha) and went out and bought myself a brand new Ruger LCP today and put 50 rounds of FMJ through it w/ out a problem. I know this is a very popular gun and have heard a lot of people on here talk about it. My question is what brand ammo do you carry in yours? I was thinking of going w/ the federal hydro shock. I have heard good things about this ammo and know a few friends that carry it in other calibers. Would anyone say different or recommend a diff brand.

hornady critical defense......
    and my lcp eats it up great.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

i don't have the ruger, but i do have the kel tec p3at. i carry fmj ammo in it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Can't speak for the LCP specifically, but several of my fellow gunshop employees carry Kel Tecs in .380 and all use Gold Saber 102gr. I have had much better results with the Hydra Shok in a Beretta 85 with a much longer barrel.

I'm a dinosaur too. I like the Hydra Shok in several calibers. I don't get much opportunity to shoot through heavy clothes here in FL though.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

yes superhouse im in florida too. the thickest thing is a t-shirt lol

Recently switched from Gold Dots to Winchester Ranger SXT, look for the "T" on the box, thats the Law Enforcement stuff. Both are good loads.

I have shot approx. 300 rounds through mine with a little bit of everything from WWB FMJ, PMC Bronze FMJ, Aguila HP, Speer Golddot HP, Federal Hydroshock, and Winchester Ranger HP. No hiccups so far. This video may be of interest to you. YouTube - Ruger LCP Fiocchi Ammo Problem

WWB FMJ-FP

With the .380acp, your choices are generally, expand but under penetratre or don't expand and over penetrate. I want to make sure penetration is adequate.

The LCP is one of my wifes favorite carries because of it's compact size. I used to be a bit uncomfortable with her carrying a caliber with such little stopping power, especially since we live in Alaska and people here usually have on heavy or many layered clothing.

But now she carries it loaded with Buffalo Bore +P 100 gr Hardcast and I am quite confidant that the little pistol will get the job done if the need arises. The Buffalo Bore rounds sure have quite the kick to them and the numbers are very impressive.
    1600 ft/sec & 298 ft/lbs of energy
    380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Distinguished Member
    Mine did not like Speer Gold Dots.

Whatever you pick, shoot a bunch to be sure it's ok. They are a little tempermental with ammo.

The hydro-shok is an older bullet so the the Golden Saber. I believe there are better option these days. Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Rangers and HST are all newer bullets and all expect from the Hornady CD (that I've heard of) are used by L.E.

I'll second the B.B. in any caliber. Hotter stuff you will not find.

Quote Originally Posted by normAK View Post
    The LCP is one of my wifes favorite carries because of it's compact size. I used to be a bit uncomfortable with her carrying a caliber with such little stopping power, especially since we live in Alaska and people here usually have on heavy or many layered clothing.

But now she carries it loaded with Buffalo Bore +P 100 gr Hardcast and I am quite confidant that the little pistol will get the job done if the need arises. The Buffalo Bore rounds sure have quite the kick to them and the numbers are very impressive.
    1600 ft/sec & 298 ft/lbs of energy
    380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Check out page 11 of the instruction manual before you shoot anymore +p ammo in your LCP. http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bluemarlin View Post
    Check out page 11 of the instruction manual before you shoot anymore +p ammo in your LCP. http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf
    Quite aware of this , thank you. I also read this -
    FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions (question # 1) and it made sense to me.

The majority of target practice using the LCP is done with standard loads, as with all my pistols. +P ammo wears parts out faster.

Speer GDHP
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I can't speak on the LCP, but I have used STHP and Gold Dots in my Tanfoglio Witness.

The Gold Dots have a tendency to jam the Witnesswhen hand cycled but as we all know that doesn't amount to much. It eats them up when actually firing.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links