.45acp setback

This is a discussion on .45acp setback within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So we all know the issues with loading the same round over and over again, especially in the 1911 platform. What im wondering is, when ...

Thread: .45acp setback

.45acp setback

So we all know the issues with loading the same round over and over again, especially in the 1911 platform. What im wondering is, when should throw away that crunched up round?

Right now ive got two types of JHP, winchester white box .230g, and winchester pdx1 230g. both have an overall length of about 31mm (using calipers) when brand new. However, i have a few that are down to 30.5mm and 30mm. Are these now too shady to use?

I try to load the same round over and over again whenever i do unload my carry piece. And when it looks a little short i just throw it away. Am i wasting ammunition?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Look at your shorter JHP rounds carefully to determine if the bullets are truly "setting back" in the case or if you are just smashing your hollow points during your feed and making your rounds appear that the entire bullet is set back.

If you're just smashing your hollow point cavity a bit...you can safely shoot them.

Honestly there is no particular/specific reason why a 1911 should set back bullets any more than any other semi-auto.

Here are a few things that will greatly reduce or eliminate bullet set back.

> Install a polished and properly tensioned extractor.

> Make sure that your breech face is smooth and without heavy machine marks.

> Try a Tripp CobraMag. It positions the top round in the magazine very slightly higher and at a more optimal feed angle.

> Make sure that your barrel ramp is not sitting directly atop or even slightly overhanging your frame feed ramp.

I'll find the photo and post it here shortly.

Remove your slide & with your barrel set in place and pressed fully to the rear you need the barrel to sit forward of the frame feed ramp as shown at the location of the arrows.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As for the old setback rounds, get a RCBS kinetic bullet puller, give the rounds a couple of light taps and see if it creeps out to the right length. Or toss them.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links