Some .38 Special Velocity Tests

This is a discussion on Some .38 Special Velocity Tests within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello bmcgilvray and a very big thank you for the very in depth and detailed range report. I've always wondered what the ballistics of some ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Some .38 Special Velocity tests

  1. #16
    Member Array 336A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Conus
    Posts
    90
    Hello bmcgilvray and a very big thank you for the very in depth and detailed range report. I've always wondered what the ballistics of some of those loads would be when shot out of a real gun with a 4" barrel. How close to POA did those BB loads, and the 200gr load shoot for you when shot out of your M10? I second the motion that this should become a sticky.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,980
    Hey, good to see you 336A!

    I didn't shoot the loads for accuracy but the 158 grain and 200 grain bullets were all striking swinging disc target I had set up at 25 yards. I was using the center 5 1/2-inch disc as an aiming reference and shooting from a rest.

    I'm sure that some of the lighter bullets went beneath the disc but they weren't far off. I could aim at the bottom of the iron stem holding the disc and strike the disc with the lightweights.

    I have to be careful with my ancient chronograph and its components. Having an aiming point avoids bullet damage from a low shot. Oehler hasn't built the Model 12 in years and replacement parts are sure to be non-existent. I ordered extra "sky screens" once after I shot one screen with a .22 short of all things and a friend, who had borrowed the chronograph, shot one with a .45 ACP. I still have 3 screens. When they are gone that's all for the chronograph and I'd have to get another.

    The 200 grain .38 Special load will flip a disc over twice on my target stand. Only one other experimental load using 158 grain bullets and a heavy charge of powder will cause the discs to flip twice. Regular +P 158 grain ammunition will cause the discs to flip once.

    The only 9mm load that will cause the discs to flip completely over one time is the 147 grain Ranger (old Black Talon) load. All other 9mm loads will only start the discs to swinging. This really doesn't prove anything regarding relative effectiveness of handgun cartridges but is interesting.

    The .45 ACP will cause the discs to pinwheel merrily.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  4. #18
    Senior Member Array 1911PKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    607
    Thanks!! The search is on for some BB +P 158gr. SWC-HP.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array Keltyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Spartanburg, SC
    Posts
    785
    Some of that ammo looks pretty old - is all of it still available? I've noticed all of you people who do "comprehensive" ammo testing never test Corbon DPX - one of the leading hollow points out there. What about Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel?

  6. #20
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Some of that ammo looks pretty old - is all of it still available? I've noticed all of you people who do "comprehensive" ammo testing never test Corbon DPX - one of the leading hollow points out there. What about Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel?

    Hi Keltyke;

    All it takes is money.

    I'm only mildly interested in the Corbon load but haven't purchased any to test yet. I'd be pretty interested in trying the Speer Short Barrel load, especially out of longer barrels, hah, just for fun. I'd like to see if it really offers any special advantage in short barrels that other loads don't possess.

    No, some isn't available. The Winchester +P158 grain load was tested both in current guise and from a lot manufactured years ago. This was just to observe any change in performance. The Remington 158 grain load is current as well.

    The Super Vel ammunition has attained almost mythical status though it has been out of production for many years. I had a couple of full boxes and a partial box so thought to run it over the chronograph screens.

    Buffalo Bore is current and has generated a lot of interest on forums.

    I'm not too keen on +P .38 Special loads with light weight bullets so concentrated on loadings with 158 grain bullets. Perhaps I can run onto some deals on some popular light weight +P ammunition to test in an upcoming installment of .38 Special tests.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I loved Super Vel compared to what came befor it. From personal experience, it was effective.

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array Majorlk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Naugatuck, CT
    Posts
    2,406
    I still have an Ohler chronograph like the one in the photo.

    It has long since be replaced with something a little more modern.

    (but it still works!)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

  9. #23
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,980
    Hmmmph...they're makin' fun of my old ammunition and now my antiquated equipment.

    Hah, everything I have around here is old.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  10. #24
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    On the contrary...........

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array TedBeau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay City
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hey, good to see you 336A!

    I didn't shoot the loads for accuracy but the 158 grain and 200 grain bullets were all striking swinging disc target I had set up at 25 yards. I was using the center 5 1/2-inch disc as an aiming reference and shooting from a rest.

    I'm sure that some of the lighter bullets went beneath the disc but they weren't far off. I could aim at the bottom of the iron stem holding the disc and strike the disc with the lightweights.

    I have to be careful with my ancient chronograph and its components. Having an aiming point avoids bullet damage from a low shot. Oehler hasn't built the Model 12 in years and replacement parts are sure to be non-existent. I ordered extra "sky screens" once after I shot one screen with a .22 short of all things and a friend, who had borrowed the chronograph, shot one with a .45 ACP. I still have 3 screens. When they are gone that's all for the chronograph and I'd have to get another.

    The 200 grain .38 Special load will flip a disc over twice on my target stand
    . Only one other experimental load using 158 grain bullets and a heavy charge of powder will cause the discs to flip twice. Regular +P 158 grain ammunition will cause the discs to flip once.

    The only 9mm load that will cause the discs to flip completely over one time is the 147 grain Ranger (old Black Talon) load. All other 9mm loads will only start the discs to swinging. This really doesn't prove anything regarding relative effectiveness of handgun cartridges but is interesting.

    The .45 ACP will cause the discs to pinwheel merrily.
    As a lover of the 38 special, I find the bolded text quite interesting. This would tend to imply that the kinetic energy delivered by the 38 special and the heavier bullets exceeds the 9mm.

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array Stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,385
    Very good documentation of testing. I have not tested nor tried the BB. I am curious about how well it performs in the accuracy department. Being the deviation was very low, I would assume you should be able to get fairly good groups. I sure would like to see what BB uses to meter the powder.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

  13. #27
    Member Array bsms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    235
    Thanks! I've bookmarked this for future use. I shoot standard .38 up to .357 in my J-frame, but I use the Buffalo Bore when I load it up for SD. A bit less punch than a full .357, but impressive performance for a 2" barrel! And I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end...

  14. #28
    jfl
    jfl is offline
    Distinguished Member Array jfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, FL
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    As a lover of the 38 special, I find the bolded text quite interesting. This would tend to imply that the kinetic energy delivered by the 38 special and the heavier bullets exceeds the 9mm.
    Not all the kinetic energy of the bullet is imparted to the disc; some of it is used to alter the shape of the bullet; the bullet does not stop completely, so it still has some energy; some of it creates heat, etc.

    The exact determination of kinetic energy is "mass x velocity squared", or "mv2/2", - if v is much less than the speed of light
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

    jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. High velocity 12 gauge shells
    By lionassad in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
  2. Special Gun tests for Hi Points
    By ErikGr7 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
  3. Is there a way to calculate velocity?
    By Cupcake in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM
  4. reduced velocity 9mm ammo ?
    By mike28w in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
  5. Informal 38 Special Snub tests w/Std. Pressure Ammunition...
    By Stephen A. Camp in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 30th, 2006, 01:21 AM

Search tags for this page

.38 p velocity
,
.38 special p velocity
,

.38 special velocity

,
.38 velocity
,
38 p velocity
,
38 special p velocity
,
38 special rifle ballistics
,
38 special rifle velocity
,
38 special velocities
,

38 special velocity

,
velocity of 38 special
,
what is the velocity of a 38 special
Click on a term to search for related topics.