Federal 9mm +P EFMJ - Page 2

Federal 9mm +P EFMJ

This is a discussion on Federal 9mm +P EFMJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree. If you can find more testing of the 124 gr version of EFMJ, please post. I just don't subscribe to the idea that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree. If you can find more testing of the 124 gr version of EFMJ, please post.

I just don't subscribe to the idea that there is much difference between one bullet and another - nor even between FMJ and JHP. I've read several reports from medical folks who deal with gunshots, and they say they cannot tell the caliber or type of handgun bullet used unless they recover the bullet. So - if you think X is better than Y, go for it.

I put my faith in placement and penetration.

The EFMJ has a mild recoil, low flash, feeds well, and is accurate - from my own testing. I like the flat nose profile too. I like it, use it, and wish Federal would make more!!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    testing of the 124 gr +P version here...

GoldenLoki.com

Over 15 inches penetration, expansion to over .50, all rounds expanded.

This is my carry load in my G26 and G19. Unfortunately, it is impossible to find. I contacted Federal via their website, and they are not making any more until Feb 2011!

One thing to consider - conventional JHPs can get crushed going through barriers - EFMJ cannot. Even if it does not expand, you still have a flat-point profile.

I like it - and I also like the Hornady Critical Defense round. Of the two, I prefer the Federal - heavier weight and +P. Just can't find any...
    Go to streichers.com

They have it in stock for $23/box. Just save me a couple of boxes!

I don't live in NJ but fly out of Newark all the time. I think I'll pack these in my suitcase just in case I get stopped on my way to the airport!

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've been Carrying these for the last few years because If found a whole bunch on sail one time. They seem to perform very well. They have good pentration, weight retention, and are almost a guareenteed expansion through anything, feeding is supurb , plus they are around the full weight of common self defense hollow point. Whats not to like?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by whisky19 View Post
    Go to streichers.com

They have it in stock for $23/box. Just save me a couple of boxes!

I don't live in NJ but fly out of Newark all the time. I think I'll pack these in my suitcase just in case I get stopped on my way to the airport!
    I had some on backorder from them for many months, finally got Hornady CD instead.

I went back to their website recently, and when I got to the checkout, there was a red dot - item on backorder! I called Streichers, and they told me they've had this ammo on backorder for 18 months!

So, they have it listed, but they don't have it.

Like I said, Federal isn't making more until Feb 2011. I highly doubt anyone has any stock laying around anymore at this point. Ah well...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I had some on backorder from them for many months, finally got Hornady CD instead.

I went back to their website recently, and when I got to the checkout, there was a red dot - item on backorder! I called Streichers, and they told me they've had this ammo on backorder for 18 months!

So, they have it listed, but they don't have it.

Like I said, Federal isn't making more until Feb 2011. I highly doubt anyone has any stock laying around anymore at this point. Ah well...

That sux! Sorry! Thought I found a source!

Anyone have data for velocity and penetration from short barrels? Think 1 7/8 inch to 2 inch? I'm wondering if this load could come close to matching ball 45 from one of the 9mm taurus snubs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links