Federal 9mm +P EFMJ

This is a discussion on Federal 9mm +P EFMJ within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience with this bullet? I picked some up at the shop to try. It says on their site that it is for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 9mm +P EFMJ

Federal 9mm +P EFMJ

Anyone have any experience with this bullet? I picked some up at the shop to try. It says on their site that it is for LE that can't use hollow points. I shot a regular fmj and an efmj through a 2x4 and the efmj's hole was almost twice as big.

Just wondering what the word on the street is about these as SD ammo.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BMOE View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this bullet? I picked some up at the shop to try. It says on their site that it is for LE that can't use hollow points. I shot a regular fmj and an efmj through a 2x4 and the efmj's hole was almost twice as big.

Just wondering what the word on the street is about these as SD ammo.
    Get an actual hollowpoint. If your gun won't feed hollowpoints, get a new gun.

This quote from the AR15.com ammo FAQ sums it up nicely:

Some people like the Federal EFMJ since it's a "FMJ" design that is supposed to expand. While it does decrease feeding issues somewhat due to its shape, there's also a high failure rate in the neighborhood of 20% when it comes to reliable expansion. The other negative for this bullet is that it lacks sharp edges which slice though tissue and make a larger permanent cavity than a more rounded profile which tends to push tissue out of the way only to have it return to its original shape.

VIP Member
    If I could get them I'd try them.

I do have actual hollow points and no the gun (g26) doesn't have a feeding issue. I was just curious about the bullet and haven't heard much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMOE View Post
    I do have actual hollow points and no the gun (g26) doesn't have a feeding issue. I was just curious about the bullet and haven't heard much about it.

Well there you go. No reason to use a less effective design then.

I like the looks of it in the law enforcement bullet weight but not the civilian bullet weight. Expanded diameter appears close to .45 and penetration above 12 inches. Wow. If it only has a 20% rate of non expansion like the previous poster said it is probably less than a lot of premium hollow point rounds fired through heavy coats with pluged up tips, it sounds great. How else can you relaibly turn your nine into a 45? Impressive find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
    I like the looks of it in the law enforcement bullet weight but not the civilian bullet weight. Expanded diameter appears close to .45 and penetration above 12 inches. Wow. If it only has a 20% rate of non expansion like the previous poster said it is probably less than a lot of premium hollow point rounds fired through heavy coats with pluged up tips, it sounds great. How else can you relaibly turn your nine into a 45? Impressive find.
    I haven't found official numbers for penetration and expansion, but if it only expands to .45 that is poor performance. Most modern 9mm HPs will expand to >.6" in gel. I haven't seen penetration numbers, but I have my doubts they reach 12" with such a light bullet. Premium HPs (Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, DPX, Golden Saber) DO NOT get plugged up by heavy clothing, or even wallboard. Finally, there is no 9mm HP that will match the wound cavity of a similar .45 HP.

ETA:found testing on Brassfetcher. ~8-9" of penetration with less expansion than good HPs?
    Last edited by Texag; June 27th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

I get what your saying Tex, but just for informations sake I got the 124gr. not the 105gr. I just got them to shoot since they weren't that bad of a price. When I orginally grabbed the box I thought it said just FMJ not EFMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I haven't found official numbers for penetration and expansion, but if it only expands to .45 that is poor performance. Most modern 9mm HPs will expand to >.6" in gel. I haven't seen penetration numbers, but I have my doubts they reach 12" with such a light bullet. Premium HPs (Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, DPX, Golden Saber) DO NOT get plugged up by heavy clothing, or even wallboard. Finally, there is no 9mm HP that will match the wound cavity of a similar .45 HP.

ETA:found testing on Brassfetcher. ~8-9" of penetration with less expansion than good HPs?
    Apples to oranges comparison. You're looking at the wrong bullet, the heavier grain bullet is not the one on brassfetcher. I think 45 is pretty good, 45 hardball is a manstopper, it is a huge caliber. pre-expanded.

testing of the 124 gr +P version here...

GoldenLoki.com

Over 15 inches penetration, expansion to over .50, all rounds expanded.

This is my carry load in my G26 and G19. Unfortunately, it is impossible to find. I contacted Federal via their website, and they are not making any more until Feb 2011!

One thing to consider - conventional JHPs can get crushed going through barriers - EFMJ cannot. Even if it does not expand, you still have a flat-point profile.

I like it - and I also like the Hornady Critical Defense round. Of the two, I prefer the Federal - heavier weight and +P. Just can't find any...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Are these legal in NJ since they don't allow hollow points?

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Are these legal in NJ since they don't allow hollow points?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I would think so.

You can have JHPs in NJ in your home, but you cannot carry them, IF you should be so lucky to have a carry permit at all in the PRNJ (again, correct me if I'm wrong - I have NO desire to live there).

JHPs are defined in NJ law as having a hollow cavity, and as having the tip of the bullet not covered by the bullet jacket. So, EFMJ should be ok.

Hornady CD and Cor-bon PowRBall...not sure. No hollow cavity (it's filled by the plug/ball) but the jacket does not cover the tip.

Clear as mud for ya?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the update 10thmtn. From that test it looks like these aren't bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Clear as mud for ya?
    - LOL. I don't plan on ever living in NJ, but the EFMJ did seem like a decent alternative for people who live there.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    testing of the 124 gr +P version here...

GoldenLoki.com

Over 15 inches penetration, expansion to over .50, all rounds expanded.

This is my carry load in my G26 and G19. Unfortunately, it is impossible to find. I contacted Federal via their website, and they are not making any more until Feb 2011!

One thing to consider - conventional JHPs can get crushed going through barriers - EFMJ cannot. Even if it does not expand, you still have a flat-point profile.

I like it - and I also like the Hornady Critical Defense round. Of the two, I prefer the Federal - heavier weight and +P. Just can't find any...
    That site would be more useful if they had the results of more modern designs on their list. The only one that had published results that I would consider carrying is the 124gr Golden Saber, which outperformed the EFMJ by a small margin.

Also, saying all rounds expanded when only 3 were fired isn't really surprising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links