What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GunnyBunny A recent thread on the .25ACP you will want to read......... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...on-25-acp.html Having said that, this is still one of my ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    A recent thread on the .25ACP you will want to read.........

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...on-25-acp.html

Having said that, this is still one of my favourite Jeff Cooper quotes........

Of the .25 Auto, firearms great Jeff Cooper once famously quipped, "... carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you."
    ^^^My sides are splitting^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    9mm 124gr +p GDs. I wouldn't trust a .22 or .25 as a primary. There are plenty of pistols out there that are not much bigger than a .25 that are not hard to carry.

But if that is all you have, there is a saying, "A .25 in your hand is better than a .45 in the safe." So I would agree with the others that penetration with such a small round is essential.

Honestly, if you can afford it, I would try to get something in at least 9mm or .38 special.
    ^^^^^^^I'm in this camp on this one.^^^^^^^

For the size and weight, you can find a firearm in one of these calibers which would greatly enhance your chances of survival of a savage attack.
    You must keep in mind that these smaller caliber weapons were put into service in a time when criminals were at least somewhat reserved in their violence as a whole. The mindless cretins who are in the streets of today, are bulked up, hopped up on various and sundry drugs, been to prison and "I ain't goin back" mentality.
    You need to carry a potent enough round to stop them within reason

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Marshall and Sanow's one shot stop stats have been torn apart time and time again. They aren't a good source of information.
    OP- Get ball ammo, it might give you an acceptable amount of penetration.

What you really need is another gun.
    ^^^^Please site your sources^^^^^^^^^

Sanow and Marshall have gathered information over a vast amount of years, and compiled them. They do not purport this information as gospel, or what YOU will experience in a gunfight.
    What the information tells is that for all of the calibers documented, which ones, for whatever reason, (angle, distance, bone obstuction, or other obstacles,IE: glass or doors, etc,,,,) have had greater success. Theres nothing to be torn apart.
    They are averages, that is all.
    That is all life is, is playing the averages. You buy a car based on its OVERALL owner satisfaction, its proven reliability, according to a documented track record, which has been recorded by TIME.

Behind every successful man there is a woman, behind every unsuccessful man there are two.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

I have heard good things about blazerís 25 acp round too.

Any 25 acp round that feeds and fires reliably in your gun will do. The 25 is very underpowered for self defense but I would choose having one on me rather than having no gun or BUG at all. Shoot for the face and sinus cavities, then get ready to fight or flee as the case may be.

Shoot for the head/sinus area, use BALL AMMO (FMJ), and then be prepared to throw it at the BG or beat him with it.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

I had a 25 for many years. If you were not within about 3 feet of the target, forget it. (extra short barrels do not have a history of accuracy) You'd be better off with a brick, or maybe a willow switch.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Now a Colt .25 would be a cool pistol to own.

Is it a hammerless Model 1908 or the later model that features an external hammer?
    It is the hammerless model 1908 ironically featured in this month's issue of combat handgun.

Ummm... for all the arm chair commandoes replying how weak the round is and how they would never carrry it... the question was whats the best ammunition to shot from it, not personal philosophy of use. I have a G23, G30, .38, etc. for a primary. I dont need the obvious stated, expecially after the first 50 times or so. But Thanks! to all who took the question seriously and provided info. I appreciate it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Probably whatever ammo you can find. I don't think there's a lot of styles to choose from in that caliber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ps91two View Post
    Ummm... for all the arm chair commandoes replying how weak the round is and how they would never carrry it... the question was whats the best ammunition to shot from it, not personal philosophy of use. I have a G23, G30, .38, etc. for a primary. I dont need the obvious stated, expecially after the first 50 times or so. But Thanks! to all who took the question seriously and provided info. I appreciate it.
    You did not have the above information in your original post. You just added it when you added the above quote.You asked a question and said you had no knowledge of the .25 acp round. The vast majority of those who replied to your post are far from "arm chair commandoes" and have been posting on this site for some time. I thought I may have been giving you valuable insight and information in reply to your question. Sorry if you were offended by some of the replies you received. Take care and stay safe.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I once knew a Deputy that carried one in his shirt pocket as a 2nd or 3rd BUG.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ps91two View Post
    It is the hammerless model 1908 ironically featured in this month's issue of combat handgun.
    Well great! Those are attractive and finely made little pistols. I've had a couple of Colt Model 1908 .25s and have owned the current one for many years. It was produced in 1922. I've shot it quite a bit (for fun and frolic-not to be taken seriously) and it always gives perfect function. It has been used with "hot" (for a .25) handloads and never stutters. It is a good, sturdy pistol. Decent examples are only now beginning to be worth some money.

Have you ever researched yours to find out when it was made? Could you post any photos of it?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Hornady 25 ACP 35 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Extreme Terminal Performance is good ammo to use. Fiocchi 25 ACP 35 Grain Extreme Terminal Performance Hollow Point is good too. Back in the 80's I use a jetfire as my bug on the job and primary when I worked U/C. I used a round that had a bb in the hollow point. Don't remember which company made it, think it was Winchester (Winchester Expanding Point). This round would go through 1/2 inch plywood with ease. Back in them days you did not have many different 25 acp rounds to pick from. Saw many BG's/dirt bags killed in the 70's and 80's with a 25acp.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    .25 acp is a great carry/defense round... When you add 20 to it.

Like everyone else said, it isn't enough. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to be shot with it, but I don't want to be shot with an airsoft gun either!

Any round has a 1:100 chance of killing, or at least stopping an agressor, but I prefer to keep it a little closer to 1:1 or 1:2.

I carry .45 acp every day, and I'm not sure that'll ever change.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You need to sell that thing to a collector and buy a real gun.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    You did not have the above information in your original post. You just added it when you added the above quote.You asked a question and said you had no knowledge of the .25 acp round. The vast majority of those who replied to your post are far from "arm chair commandoes" and have been posting on this site for some time. I thought I may have been giving you valuable insight and information in reply to your question. Sorry if you were offended by some of the replies you received. Take care and stay safe.

I said "Thanks! to all those who took the question seriously...". But for those who told me its a small round with not much power- I can tell that by looking at it- and secondly, if I didnt know that, I only need one person to tell me. Thirdly, I am suprised to learn that you personally know the "vast majority of those who replied" to discern their level of expertise. Lastly, I did not name names when I used the term "arm chair commandoes" because they know who they are. Sorry if you were offended by some of the replies you received. Take care and stay safe.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links