What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? - Page 4

What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mauser1959 Agreed, the stats that they provide are as legitimate as anyone else's, but like all stats, the conclusion drawn maybe incorrect... ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    Agreed, the stats that they provide are as legitimate as anyone else's, but like all stats, the conclusion drawn maybe incorrect... but no one can really prove that. So the FBI has a set of stats that differ... and the FBI does not have the most gun battles of federal agencies. Gun analyst are a lot like chemist, in that they will fight each other over theoretical ideas for years, since there is no concrete proof on who is right, this will be a philosophical argument for years. I happen to believe that over time S&M will be proven , on at least part of their ideas, but once again, like every vehicle every bullet is a compromise... shoot what you wish.
    Read the links I posted in this thread, their stats are based on junk science.

I have read your links, plus many more, and like theoretical chemist the arguments will exist for years. If you wish to buy into one groups opinion, so be it, I noticed that the group that you quote from believe in the FBI stats, which to me seem to be junk... just my opinion.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    I have read your links, plus many more, and like theoretical chemist the arguments will exist for years. If you wish to buy into one groups opinion, so be it, I noticed that the group that you quote from believe in the FBI stats, which to me seem to be junk... just my opinion.
    I tend to agree with the people that test different rounds in a consistent manner and isolate all variables, then verify those results by examining real world shootings. I tend to agree with people that realize there are two responses to being shot, the physiological and psychological, and realize that only one can be quantified and relied upon.

I assume by FBI stats you mean the 12" penetration minimum? If you think that's junk, that's really all I need to know.

I have the Winchester XP in any .25 I might have to use for SD. I kept a Beretta 21 as a car gun for a while and own several .25s including a Colt or two like yours. The only thing I ever shot besides water jugs and wet newspaper with it was an injured deer and it worked with one shot behind the ear.

Somebody mentioned the CCI Blazer load. I fired Gold Dot, XP, and XTPs as well as the Blazers. The Blazers never expanded, deformed, or performed any different than FMJ. The others at least expanded occasionally. Even the XTP. I think there's a compelling reason to use a JHP (or XP) over FMJ and that would be to "dig in" to the skull bone rather than skid off like a FMJ might. I plan on forehead shots if I must use it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I have the Winchester XP in any .25 I might have to use for SD. I kept a Beretta 21 as a car gun for a while and own several .25s including a Colt or two like yours. The only thing I ever shot besides water jugs and wet newspaper with it was an injured deer and it worked with one shot behind the ear.

Somebody mentioned the CCI Blazer load. I fired Gold Dot, XP, and XTPs as well as the Blazers. The Blazers never expanded, deformed, or performed any different than FMJ. The others at least expanded occasionally. Even the XTP. I think there's a compelling reason to use a JHP (or XP) over FMJ and that would be to "dig in" to the skull bone rather than skid off like a FMJ might. I plan on forehead shots if I must use it.
    Head shots should be taken in the T formed by the ocular cavity and the nose. Much less chance of a round being deflected by a thick skull.

I too have a Colt Pocketlite 1908 and they are well made little pistols. While I wouldn't exactly call it a defensive round, I have heard of two cases in the local area where a person was killed with one shot from a .25. It seems that if you get it inside a body it tends to bounce around and can cause a lot of damage. The 1908 is definately an "up close and personal" kind if gun.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    I carry a customized .45 loaded with Corbon 230gr JHP. And although the .25 is no match for one shot put downs, a careful shot to either the eye or behind the ear works really well, just use a JHP round and not in +P configuration. What you want to do is to have the round enter the cranial vault and bounce around, thereby turning the BG's brain to soup. If it works with a .22 (DAMHIK), it should work with a low powered .25 round.

Other than that, you can always carry an M-40, which really gets the job done.

Best of luck,

Bruce
    I think the OP had SD in mind, not some Mafia hit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think the OP had SD in mind, not some Mafia hit.
    Behind the ear is kinda hard in an SD situation, but the eye socket is a great target for an SD situation, especially with lower powered rounds like .22, .25 and .32.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think trying to put one "in the eye" with a little .25 auto in an adrenelin-rushed SD incident would be a little iffy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not an answer to your question and a different kind of armchair quarterbacking but here's my thoughts.

When my dad passed a few years ago I acquired a lot of his guns. Among them was a 1903 Colt in .32 acp. When I made the decision to carry I decided this would be the gun. Now the .32 acp is probably slightly better than .25 acp for a defensive round but both are better than a .45 acp back at the house. I carried this 1903 for a few months with Winchester Silver Tip HP's. As I got to learning more about concealed carry I got to thinking about the what if. What if I did have to use it? If things went good for me I'd be alive but my dads gun would go into evidence. If a trial came around it would stay in evidence. If the trial went good for me and I'm supposed to get the gun back what kind of condition would it be in and would I get it back at all.

I decided to get a proven gun for EDC, one that is reliable, more potent, easily replaced, and generic. I got a GLOCK 19. While it will be special to me till the day I die, it won't be as special or hard to replace as one of my dad's guns.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Administrator
    Head shot - Try to put multiple shots directly onto the nose AKA the nasal cavity and then if you are to the right or left you'll catch an eye socket.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think trying to put one "in the eye" with a little .25 auto in an adrenelin-rushed SD incident would be a little iffy.
    I don't disagree with you, but with a .25, it's about the only location that will have any really significant effect unless you can get a shot at a naked torso and can go with multiple heart shots.

As far as I am concerned, ANY SD shot with a .25 is "iffy".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Here are some pics for all interested:

Colt Model 1908 hammerless .25 ACP
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    What's it gonna be when it grows up??

But seriously, I hope I look that good when I'm approaching 100 years old!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I prefer FMJ for smaller rounds (smaller than and possibly including .380). They need everything they can get to reach vitals.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links