What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? - Page 5

What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ps91two Here are some pics for all interested: Colt Model 1908 hammerless .25 ACP Well, there it is! Looks like it has ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Ps91two View Post
    Here are some pics for all interested:

Colt Model 1908 hammerless .25 ACP
    Well, there it is!

Looks like it has possibilities. I can't remember if you said you have fired it yet.

Give it a careful soaking and cleaning. Then oil it up and give it some range time for fun. It'll probably work like a champ for you.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I've fired it a few times. It works great and I think it will continue to do so. I have cleaned it but need to soak it. I know you said Liquid Wrench; is there any other products I can use or ingredients I need to stay away from? Thanks.

Also, you can see that the thumb safety is broken. Any advice on where to get a spare part, get it fixed, or leave it alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo45 View Post
    I prefer FMJ for smaller rounds (smaller than and possibly including .380). They need everything they can get to reach vitals.
    Absolutely.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ps91two View Post
    Also, you can see that the thumb safety is broken. Any advice on where to get a spare part, get it fixed, or leave it alone?
    Have you contacted Colt?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Colt 1908 Hammerless .25 Semi-Auto Pistol

Poppert's Obsolete Gun Parts Parts

Lee's Gun Parts (Has lots of parts. Never a guarantee that any given part will be available at any specific time but great to deal with. I've purchased parts from his tables at Dallas/Fort Worth gun shows for 30 years.)

There's always Numrich. They say they're sold out of safeties at the moment but their inventory changes constantly. Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

An inquiry on Colt Forum might turn up something.
    ColtForum - Powered by vBulletin
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

EW3
    I would NOT bother with any sort of hollow point; I doubt if it would even expand. Best bet is to stick with a good Euro (hotter loaded than US stuff) FMJ like a Fiocchi or Prvi Partizan.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

The best advice I can give is get the heaviest ball ammo you can find and stack every magazine you have to the top with them. When you carry concealed take the extra mags with you, you are going to need as much lead to go downrange as possible.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Not an answer to your question and a different kind of armchair quarterbacking but here's my thoughts.

When my dad passed a few years ago I acquired a lot of his guns. Among them was a 1903 Colt in .32 acp. When I made the decision to carry I decided this would be the gun. Now the .32 acp is probably slightly better than .25 acp for a defensive round but both are better than a .45 acp back at the house. I carried this 1903 for a few months with Winchester Silver Tip HP's. As I got to learning more about concealed carry I got to thinking about the what if. What if I did have to use it? If things went good for me I'd be alive but my dads gun would go into evidence. If a trial came around it would stay in evidence. If the trial went good for me and I'm supposed to get the gun back what kind of condition would it be in and would I get it back at all.

I decided to get a proven gun for EDC, one that is reliable, more potent, easily replaced, and generic. I got a GLOCK 19. While it will be special to me till the day I die, it won't be as special or hard to replace as one of my dad's guns.
    Very thoughtful perspective for this particular OP to consider.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    When I was chief flight instructor at Indiantown airstrip, we had a handyman mowing the grass and keeping up the buildings.
    He was a big guy; he could climb a ladder carrying 2 sheets of plywood (4' x 8'). A steady diet of beer had given him extra padding !
    His nickname was T-bone.

He liked to hang out at the local watering hole after work (he had no family).
    One evening, he got in a argument with a little guy at the bar; the little guy draws a .25 and shoot T-bone 3 times in the belly at bad breath range.
    T-bone was discharged from the hospital one hour later and was back to work the next morning; the little guy was in the hospital over 3 weeks with multiple fractures including a jaw-bone broken in 3 places.
    If he hadn't have a gun, the little guy would not have been injured that bad, but taking 3 bullets in the belly really got T-bone mad.
    A good used .38 revolver or a 9 mm semi-auto can be purchased around $200, I wouldn't think of carrying a .25.
    I see your point but there are many factors that lead to this sort of thing other than caliber. My brother in law had a buddy named "Tank" that got shot in the shoulder with a .40 and chased the guy who shot him 10 blocks before bleeding out in the street. A heli-vac landed nearby and saved his life. If that bullet went to center mass or head you would probably been chalking his body. Placement is the most important factor IMO. Thanks for the story though, "T-Bone" sounds like a good buddy to have around!
    "A .40 for easy carry, a .45 for the end of the world!!"

G30
    G23

Have a Baby Browning .25. These pistols were primarily used as a gentleman's piece in the early to mid 1900's. Also, they are nice little up close and personal "assassins" pieces. In my research, it appears they were mostly used offensively in very, very close conditions usually when the victim was not expecting it. I would not use nor rely on this for defensive purposes. If anything, it might scare someone, but, in the situations we speak about on this board, not sure if any perp. would be scared. IMHO

I accidently shot my self with a 25 ACP 14yrs ago. Yaya Dumb arse I know. Anyway I am a Rather Fat guy am now and was then. When the gun went off it grazed my right had and went almost alway through my Calf My calf Is over 20 inches round. It stoped on at the last couple layers of skin you could see it sitting there. The Next Day my leg below the knee was bruised all the way around. I could walk on it barly. Anyway a gun is a gun as long as it is reliable .I would not like to be shot by a 25 again.Would it be my first choice a a defensive round no but I would not rule it out. The Bullet was a FMJ winchester.

The heaviest pistol...throw it :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    In response to the OP. FMJ is likely the best defensive round for a .25

I have a Beretta jetfire. It is the next smallest pistol I have. Only the NAA .22 is smaller. That said I have carried it, more then once.

When staring death in the face; A gun in the hand is worth more then a safe full of guns at home.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

a real answer

I'm sick and tired of people giving their opinion about how the 25acp is so unreal as a defensive caliber, etc., rather than just answering the question asked.. which is "what is the best ammo for defense in 25acp". If you don't have the answers then don't bother. Fact is, a 25acp gun is only sold for defense. What else would you use it for? Fact is MOST people are more apt to own and carry this gun or nothing at all. Fact is, a 25acp can kill you. After asking the same question numerous times and having had to read all the crap instead of a knowledgeable answer to the question, I finally settled on Hornady 35gr JHP/XTP. I don't KNOW if this is the best defensive round I can have for my Colt Jr. but I do know that it is always with me, unlike my bigger calibers. After all, if I wanted the best defensive round I would be carrying a shotgun or rifle.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links