What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? - Page 6

What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

This is a discussion on What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure about best I have a Phoenix Raven. It was a cheap one over 20 years ago was either 69 or 79 dollars new. ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What is the best .25 ACP defensive ammo?

Not sure about best I have a Phoenix Raven. It was a cheap one over 20 years ago was either 69 or 79 dollars new.
    It still shoots first time every time as long as I do not use CCI ammo in it. I use nothing but FMJ ball rounds it in. I would not wish to be shot a few times with it at close range. I do use it as a pocket carry some times.
    Little size comparison of course it is the last one

It is generally more reliable than 22 rimfire as centerfire,best defensive ammo is hardball fmj ,as in hp it is lacking in penetration,and many 25 acp like other calibers dont like or feed hp well.Its about half the recommended fbi 12 in min so avoid hitting breast bone aim higher like with a 22 throat,head,or much much lower.
    Also somewhat determined by the pistol itself is,if all said one brand and it didnt like it,still cant use it or shouldnt.
    My primary carry due to $ and physical limitations is a PT22,chosen for its price under 200 da trigger pull and tip up barrel.Winchester 40 gr fmj,so im not mocking it its bigger than my primary.I could have bought same pistol in a 25 but wanted cheap ammo,seems to have worked out.
    I have a titan 25acp sa,cant hardly rack the slide anymore,and am fond of 32 acp,all low recoil,low noise yet capable of what needs done as accurate.
    Its placement quality versus size or largeness,a small accurate hole is better than a large inaccurate one,that said a large accurate one is better.
    A 22 or 25 in pocket is better than a 45 left at home,im 130 pds wearing shorts and t shirt how in the heck can I wear a 45.Do own one a hipoint stays on nightstand.
    Many say 380 is minimal,recent shooting that went viral 2 bg got it like 4-5 times kept running=they dont stand still dang it.45 guys loved that yet a mall guard got shot 5 times with a 45 and he returned fire with puny 38 killed the perp he survived.
    So big guns lol its shot placement even if you do make a big hole.So yes providing you can hit what you aim at like face head lower parts if closer it will do.Russians used it as an execution weapon held to back of head.
    Most encounters are often that close.And a palm sized 4-5 in gun is easier to get between you and him than an 6-8 in long ballistic cannon.
    I prefer an IWB with handle over wallet shirt covering,inside pocket holsters on these small things tend to come out with the gun and you have to shuck.I do feel it should have a long da trigger pull,not an old sa.
    That old colt is a collectors item,more so than a cc piece.You could sell it an buy just about any decent pistol out there or several of mine in either 22 or 25 cal.Patton had one then a 1908 in 32 acp later a 1910 in 380 the army issued him.
    To all those big bore guys he never ever carried a 45,his social gun 32 acp was his favorite.Under Pershing exp into mexico after pancho via he was credited with 2 one shot kills with his social gun.
    Last edited by lilmule; August 11th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    If you're going to carry that I would recommend the most reliable ball ammo you can find. It is too underpowered for JHP rounds to be able to both penetrate enough and expand, so you'll want to go for the penetration.
    ...and reliability that "ball" ammo affords. I gave up carrying JHP in my Kel-Tec P32 for the same reason.

Administrator
    Well, for your little vintage vest pocket firearm I would probably stay with an offering by SPEER & grab some Gold Dot which should give you about 900+ FPS out of a 2" barrel.

All of the SPEER ammo is very good quality and so if it feeds flawlessly it would be a good choice.

In the past there has been some decently neat "exotic" type ammo available for the little .25.

I remember shooting solid Brass bullet hollowpoints and these ones that had a Copper plated Lead bullet with a small ball of steel shot in the hollow.

The little Colts are very high quality and they are incredibly fun to shoot.

I just love a good oxymoron.

I stumbled across this in my local shop this morning...it just had to come home with me.

1345835026.jpg

Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless. Research says it was made in 1919.

I don't ever really plan on carrying it; the only ammo I could find was Blazer aluminum, and it's not incredibly reliable...the third round FTF's every time.

But dang...it's cute.
    bmcgilvray and pgrass101 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Good evening Ladies & gentlemen: Don't down play the lil .25, it is quite capable with 'any' type of ammunition used within it's design parameters. It is for extreme close in combat usage. So use it in that context, shoot for the neck, which in close combat, is a large target.. The neck can easily be penetrated by even a lil .22 Cb cap.

The neck is usually uncovered, just bare skin to penetrate, and it is chock full of pain sensitive organs, plus two major arteries, and a very vulnerable neck / backbone.

In addition, it has a very powerful psychological effect, especially when blood is squirting along with the pain.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    gw_scuba likes this.

All depends on where you put those 'pills' into the bad guy.

Don't carry this gun. It's not just a pocket gun, it's a watch-pocket gun. Just because it's super-easy to carry, don't let that fool you into using this thing as a defensive gun. When the chips are down, this gun will kill you. Please put it in your sock drawer and save it for leisurely shooting on a Saturday afternoon. The bullet is smaller than a pencil erasure and probably won't get it done. Just an opinion, but I'd hate to see something bad happen to someone because they didn't bring enough gun.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Quote Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
    Don't carry this gun. It's not just a pocket gun, it's a watch-pocket gun. Just because it's super-easy to carry, don't let that fool you into using this thing as a defensive gun. When the chips are down, this gun will kill you. Please put it in your sock drawer and save it for leisurely shooting on a Saturday afternoon. The bullet is smaller than a pencil erasure and probably won't get it done. Just an opinion, but I'd hate to see something bad happen to someone because they didn't bring enough gun.
    You know...

There's no arguing that a heavier caliber won't make for a more reliable stopper, all things being equal. It's silly to say otherwise.

However--there are no dangerous weapons; only dangerous people. (All credit to Robert Anson Heinlein, Starship Troopers if memory serves)

In short, I truly believe that someone with the skill and mindset to use a .25 properly is a lot more dangerous to an assailant than someone who straps on a heavier caliber just because it's bigger.

Of course...it'd be better to be the guy with skills, mindset, and a .45. Which is why I practice, take classes, and usually carry a 1911.

I guess I'm saying that it's the shooter, not the gun...and saying that a .25 will only get one killed is, well...nonsense.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

In 25acp I would get the heaviest rounds I could find for it and load it to maximum capacity so that it would possibly be heavy enough to hurt whoever I had to throw it at in a self defense situation. :-D

sent via iCarry

"...and saying that a .25 will only get one killed is, well...nonsense."

All the determination and will to survive in the world will not power this bullet any faster. These bullets have abominable penetration and is just as likely to bounce off of -any- bone that it contacts as actually sink into anything. I concede the fact that any gun is better than no gun, and no disrespect to the OP, but if I had a gun that shot this round in one hand and a slingshot in the other, I'd have to take a second and really decide. If you absolutely have to carry this gun, just carry it in addition to another one. Two is better than one for sure. Again, not trying to be rude or disrespectful of another man's gun, just being realistic.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Better off to carry a baseball bat. Kinda hard to conceal tho. If you shot someone with that thing it would probably make the guy mad enough to hurt you REALLY bad.
    Nine .25 FMJ's center mass and the guy won't be hurting anyone for awhile if ever.

Weapon – Beretta 21A, with 2.4” barrel length
    Deepest Penetration Depth : 15.2 ± 0.05 Inch

.25ACP Winchester 50gr FMJ

gottabkiddin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    Nine .25 FMJ's center mass and the guy won't be hurting anyone for awhile if ever.

Weapon – Beretta 21A, with 2.4” barrel length
    Deepest Penetration Depth : 15.2 ± 0.05 Inch

.25ACP Winchester 50gr FMJ

Probably the best option.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post
    Nine .25 FMJ's center mass and the guy won't be hurting anyone for awhile if ever.Weapon – Beretta 21A, with 2.4” barrel lengthDeepest Penetration Depth : 15.2 ± 0.05 Inch.25ACP Winchester 50gr FMJ
    I liken that to a 15" 16 penny nail, times 9. Properly placed couple of those should cure what ails ya...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links