This can't be normal - Federal HST 45 - Page 2

This can't be normal - Federal HST 45

This is a discussion on This can't be normal - Federal HST 45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Emrah Oh, and with all that said, I have NO idea why those "cannelures" are around the cases of .45 and .38 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This can't be normal - Federal HST 45

Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    Oh, and with all that said, I have NO idea why those "cannelures" are around the cases of .45 and .38 (among others). I just know that bullets are not crimped down there.I

If anyone knows, I'd be real interested to find out. Maybe I'll ask on some of the handloading forums I'm on...

Emrah
    No, they aren't "crimped" down there; I don't know of anyone that has said otherwise. The cannelure in a case is to prevent bullet setback or to provide a "seat" for very long bullets.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I never said you said any of those things. I was saying what a cannelure does and does not do when crimping. Never tried to put words in your mouth. And I never doubted your shooting/loading experience.

Now your answer that it is acting as a "seat" for the bullet makes sense. Never thought of it like that. As for my opinion on firing or not firing the round, yep, it's only my opinion. As I've said, I will fire a lot of "iffy" rounds. This particular one is too "iffy" for me and I would pass. That's all.

Emrah

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    From the photos it looks like the case on the left round (weird one) is longer than the one on the right.

Could be overly long brass got into the mix and was buckled when the rounds went through the final stage in manufacturing.
    They are the same length even though you can't tell from the photo. They weren't lined up perfectly hence the visual difference. I was also thinking buckled cases.

Thanks everyone for the replies and input. A few of the bullets that I've been carrying around were like this but the majority of the bad ones were sitting unused in the middle of the box. Of the 5 I fired I was only able to recover 2 of the cases and they appear to be normal. While I'm tempted to fire off one of the weird ones, I won't. I am tempted to pull a few...

I've contacted ATK and I'll see what they have to say about it. I did receive an initial response from a gatekeeper who is passing my e-mail and photos along to the appropriate people. He did say that it certainly doesn't look right.

It is premium stuff, expensive and most all, hard to find. I don't just want my money back. I'd like a new box (or two) of usable ammo. I've been impressed with what I've seen and read about HST and want to carry it. Hopefully things can be made right. There is a possible obstacle though...

I explained where I bought the ammo and therein lies the dilemma. This is the "LE" stuff which somehow made it into the hands of a public retail location. ATK seems to be concerned that this wasn't sold from one of their authorized distributors and that I'm not "LE." I hope I don't get me favorite local gun shop in trouble! I know it's not against any law to have "LE" ammo but I guess it's against their company policy. I'm still hoping I can just get my box replaced. I'll post the results when I find them out.

Here's the lot number in case someone wants to know - LOTNOP20W678

Until I can get this worked out it looks like I'm in the market for some new HST - anyone know where I can pick some up??

^^ike

Did the out side of the box look normal. The ammo could have gotten crushed during shipping/storeage/handeling.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That looks too perfect to be from "crushed" or "buckled." Crushed ammo would have pushed the bullet back. I've buckled a few rounds in my day and it never looked that clean or consistant. A too long case would most likely have the end pushed back and folded over the bullet (which would seat at normal depth).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The box was bought in perfect shape, stored on a shelf in my safe and remained that way.

This is the reply I recieved back today.

"Thank you for your email. We would like to apologize for the problem you experienced with our product. This is not typical of our quality standards, and we appreciate you letting us know about your experience.

Please dispose of the problematic ammunition. We will be sending replacement ammunition.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention."

That's pretty much was I was hoping for although an explanation of the defect would have been nice. I thought they'd want me to send it back. I'm glad I don't have to but makes me believe they've seen this before. At least I can pull the bullets and have some new HST's to reload.

I still surprised this ammo made it through their QA but I've been pleased as the speed this has been handled. I received the initial reply within 20 minutes and that was at 11:30 p.m. on a Saturday. On the good chance that the ammo is dangerous to shoot it could have been bad for me but worse for the LEO's who carry this stuff around and have a greater chance of using it.

^^ike

Quote Originally Posted by Emrah View Post
    I never said you said any of those things. I was saying what a cannelure does and does not do when crimping. Never tried to put words in your mouth. And I never doubted your shooting/loading experience.
    My apology if I misunderstood you.

Now your answer that it is acting as a "seat" for the bullet makes sense. Never thought of it like that.
    Yup, that's the purpose on a case.

As for my opinion on firing or not firing the round, yep, it's only my opinion. As I've said, I will fire a lot of "iffy" rounds. This particular one is too "iffy" for me and I would pass. That's all.

Emrah
    To each his own.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Since they let me keep the ammo I went ahead a pulled a few today. I'll post some picture later but this is what I found. Both the bullet and case have a cannelure (the corrugated appearance). On the bullet the cannelure was right where the strange rings was. Also the bullet was set exactly to the depth of the cannelure on the case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links