Double Tap Barnes offerings

This is a discussion on Double Tap Barnes offerings within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see where Double Tap is offering more selections of the all copper Barnes bullet. Anyone have any experience with a Double Tap Barnes? thanks ...

Thread: Double Tap Barnes offerings

I see where Double Tap is offering more selections of the all copper Barnes bullet. Anyone have any experience with a Double Tap Barnes?

thanks
    deadandgone
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

I have a couple of boxes of Double Tap 125 grain JHP, .357 magnum. These are older, no mention of the Barnes bullet, but they are most definitely "full house loads". I don't think you would go wrong to try a box or two.

Very recently Double Tap has been mislabeling their products and sending substituted products. They refuse to respond to customer service complaints related to this. Specifically the allegations are that Double Tap replaced the Gold Dot self defense bullets with "Montana Gold" bullets and continued to market it under the same bonded defense brand with the ammo pictures showing the gold dots in the photos. There is also evidence that Doubletap has lately been falsifying their products. It is confirmed that they are selling their 10mm 200 grain rounds are actually 180 grain rounds. This is confirmed by reloaders who pulled the bullets and weighed them. There are several threads proving these allegations are true, including photographic evidence, on the glocktalk board.

Buffalo Bore did the same thing with Gold Dots. I understand that there are shortages but at least inform you customers! They claimed the MG bullets are just as good as the GD. That's a load of crap. I talked with the owner of MG and he said there HP bullets have a heavier alloy and weren't designed with expansion in mind although they will expand. Bad customer relations with Double Tap and Buffalo Bore!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Just read they have a 125 grain Barnes offering in 10mm that goes 1600fps! I Gotta try them!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Double Tap Ammo

I load all my defensive carry weapons with Doubletap ammo. I was unaware of this bullet issue. I'm not certain what to do about it. I've found it totally reliable, and load several rounds randomly into each magazine I bring to the range, so I've grown very comfortable shooting it. Clearly mislabeling ammo is an unacceptable practice.

My question: Based on this issue, would you consider that Doubletap is a substandard or otherwise unreliable defense round?

Thanks.

Go with Black Hills, instead. They're a highly reputable company known for accuracy, and they've been making loads with the Barnes bullets as well. They tell you if the ammo is reloads, exactly what bullet they're using, etc. Here's a selection of their offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    My question: Based on this issue, would you consider that Doubletap is a substandard or otherwise unreliable defense round?

Thanks.
    I have been satisfied with my 45 ACP gold dot boxes I got from DT and those rounds are my current defensive load, but these rounds are circa a couple years ago when Mike McNett was still handling everything himself. Falsifying the 200 grain 10mm rounds with 180 grain rounds was unethical and probably illegal but they did it anyways. Sure makes it a lot easier to get the high FPS they claim... It was an easy thing to get caught on too because Montana Gold didn't even come in a 200 grain .40 caliber. It makes me call in to question what other liberties they might be taking. If you have older stock like I do, it's probably the best load you can get. Since the substitution and 10mm issue I personally don't trust their new stock.
    My latest ammo order was for the much more expensive Buffalo Bore when it was on sale from Cabela's, but at least I knew what I was getting.

Sponsored Links