chambering a round over and over

This is a discussion on chambering a round over and over within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i was wondering my g26 always has a 10 round mag and 1 in the chamber. with winchester sxt 147 gr, or 147 gr gold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chambering a round over and over

chambering a round over and over

i was wondering my g26 always has a 10 round mag and 1 in the chamber. with winchester sxt 147 gr, or 147 gr gold dot hollow points. but when i go tothe range i unchamber that hollow point and unload the mag and when i get home i reload the mag and chamber that round i shoot 2 or 3 times a month so im unchambering a round 2 or 3 times a month is this bad for it what should i do.

2. Remove Ads

You need to check your rounds for "setback" which is caused by numerous chambering of the same round. This is a dangerous situation as it increases the pressure inside the casing and can cause damage to your gun, or injury to you.

Place all of your rounds on a flat surface, standing up. Get a fresh round that has not been used and check each round to make sure the round has not suffered set back. If there are any that you are unsure about, get rid of them, do not shoot them.

Hope this helps!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

^^^^^^^^^^^ Good Advise^^^^^^^^^ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Personally, I would also check for burrs around the rims from chambering and ejecting. I would eliminate any that exhibited such.

VIP Member
    All good advice above ^. I've noticed that some of my guns really 'pack them down' (LCP for example is a set-back monster), where my glocks tend to not set them back at all. I always check though, and mark them with a sharpie for rotation to 'range ammo'.

--> setback
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

ok thanks everyone i searched set back. but what should i do i shoot 2 or 3 times a month should i just rotate the rounds and not chamber the same ones over and over i have 90 gold dots and 90 sxt to work with i dont wana ruin expensive carry ammo but i have to chamber and un chamber them

Get a couple extra mags so you are not down loading and uploading so much. As far as the chambered round, that might be three rounds or so a month. If you can afford to go to the range three times a month you can afford to replace them as needed.

this is true thanks for the advice guys i plan to get some more magazines

We had a ND about two weeks ago due to this. The Soldier was chambering the same round every time he left the wire. The theory is the primer becomes unstable over time. When he chambered the round the last time and dropped the bolt it went off.

I think somebody had their finger somewhere they should not have. However the official report specifies the theory above.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    all good advice. I don't think setback would be as common in a tilt barrel pistol but eventually it will happen.
    Check the round for defects every time you load it. After a while the bullet will start to back into the case. When it goes within the lower part of the OAL I put it in the rounds I shoot the next range trip.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You really should run your carry rounds through your gun fairly often, just to get the feel for how they fire and if your gun has a problem with handling them. The way to solve this problem is to fire that first round every time you go to the range, then you won't have a problem with the dreaded setback.

this is a good idea but i dont wana shoot all my winchester sxt 147 they were hard to fine lol il prolly save them and carry my gold dots

When you get to the range, swap out your magazines with one that has target ammo but leave the SD round in the chamber. At most, you'll go through 2-3 SD rounds a month - it's good to shoot your SD ammo once in awhile.
    * Glock 27
    * Remington 870P

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
    ok thanks everyone i searched set back. but what should i do i shoot 2 or 3 times a month should i just rotate the rounds and not chamber the same ones over and over i have 90 gold dots and 90 sxt to work with i dont wana ruin expensive carry ammo but i have to chamber and un chamber them
    I think that rotating the rounds is not a very good idea; it might be hard to keep track of which round has already been chambered. What I do is to chamber the same round only two times, then I put it in a box. Next time I go to the range I use the rounds in the box first.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links