Recommend Me A Kel-Tec PF9 SD Ammo

This is a discussion on Recommend Me A Kel-Tec PF9 SD Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm acquiring a Kel-Tec PF9 soon and want to get some recommendations for a good SD ammo for it. I'm hearing that +P is a ...

Thread: Recommend Me A Kel-Tec PF9 SD Ammo

Recommend Me A Kel-Tec PF9 SD Ammo

I'm acquiring a Kel-Tec PF9 soon and want to get some recommendations for a good SD ammo for it. I'm hearing that +P is a no-go as well as most 9mm rounds over 115 grain.

I was thinking of the 95 grain (non +P) Corbon DPX 9mm for it; has anyone here with a PF9 used that? What else would be worth looking at?

Thanks!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

2. Remove Ads

Kel-Tec says you can use +P ammunition, just not for continuous use.
    Kel Tec PF-9

That being said, I carry Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 grain +P in all of my 9mm guns (Kahr PM9, Kahr MK9, Glock 19). It feeds very reliably and is very accurate.

My PF9 eats any 115 gr ammo I shove in it. Goes "BANG" every time I pull the trigger. I carry Hornady Critical Defense, 115. Never did an F&B and didn't need it. Smoothed some rough edges on the grip and put 2 layers of electrical shrink tube on the trigger. Great little gun, but NOT a range gun. Accurate enough but my old, arthritic hands can't handle more than 30 or 40 rounds at a session. Same thing with my P3AT.

Ape
    Just like Glasstream15 I've run every type of ammo imaginable through mine with no issue's. The one and only ammo I've never been able to have it eat without a hiccup is anything in the 147 grain class. :-/
    Unlike Glasstream15 though, I thoroughly F&B'd my PF9. But I do this to any new gun I bring home too. ;-)

That being said I also carry Hornady's Critical Defense these days. It's out performed anyother JHP I've tested so far when it comes to expansion. Although I've only tested one mag (7 rounds) of ammo on water jugs and wet phone books. And to be honest the "better performance" iin terms of expansion and pentration was very minimal when compared to a few other JHP rounds.

I would however reccomend that you experiment with different ammo on your own. As with any gun they can sometimes be ammo sensitive as to what they'll eat. Just remember that these light weight power houses require a good "push pull" type of grip to avoid whats commonly known as "limp wristing". So don't be too quick to judge the ammo or gun if you encounter issue's early on. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I'm acquiring a Kel-Tec PF9 soon and want to get some recommendations for a good SD ammo for it. I'm hearing that +P is a no-go as well as most 9mm rounds over 115 grain.

I was thinking of the 95 grain (non +P) Corbon DPX 9mm for it; has anyone here with a PF9 used that? What else would be worth looking at?

Thanks!
    I carry a PF9 loaded with Federal Classic (9BP)115 grain JHP 'Hi-Shok' ammo. This is a controllable and reliable standard velocity load that is rather difficult to obtain these days. I use the +P+ (9BPLE) version of this ammo in my full-size carry pistols. But I wouldn't dream of shooting this hot load in my PF9 rather the pistol can handle the pressure or not. I'm not Goliath, and I'm not into pain.

Speer 115 grain Gold Dot JHP SV ammo is another good choice for the PF9.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I run Hornady Critical Defense as well, though through my XD. Good performance ammo. I have Corbon DPX too, and it performs well. IMO almost all high performance SD ammo does a good job these days.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Until I changed out the sights on my PF-9s, they both shot way high with bullets weighing over 100 grains, so I kept Cor-Bon Pow'rBall in them. Since I fixed the sight problem, I keep them loaded with 124gr. +P Gold Dots. They run perfectly with everything I've fed them.

I have Winchester T series 127 grain +P+ in my P11
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When I carried a PF-9, it was loaded with Corbon DPX.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have Winchester T series 127 grain +P+ in my P11
    I bet that's snappy to shoot! That's what I keep in my Glocks, but in a little Kel-Tec, that's gotta be jumpy!

+1 on the Hornady Critical Defense, 115grain for my PF9. I carry Winchester T 127 grain +P+ in my G19...

Links