Remington Golden Sabre 124 Gr +P

This is a discussion on Remington Golden Sabre 124 Gr +P within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any experience with this round? is it good for self defense? any ballistics tests?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Golden Sabre 124 Gr +P

Remington Golden Sabre 124 Gr +P

Anyone have any experience with this round? is it good for self defense? any ballistics tests?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I don't have any experience with it, but I have researched ballistics quite a bit, in regards to SD ammo. The golden sabers aren't crap, but there is alot better hollow point ammunition on the market to put it frankly.

I would take it over alot of other stuff that's out there, ie magtech, and fmj's.

EW3
    I've used them in .380 and 9mm and they are IMO, one of the better JHP rounds out there, in the same class as your Hydra Shoks and Gold Dots. Good stuff and buy with confidence.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

I can't find any Gold Dot in +P or HST in +P around here...very hard to come by :(
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    I own a Sig and an FNH in 9mm, and put 147gr Golden Sabres in one mag and PowrBall in the other. I've only heard good things about the Remington round.

However, there are a great many defensive rounds out there. I've also heard good things about the 124gr Gold Dots. In fact, any of these defensive rounds should serve you well:

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

The rounded shape and hard brass jacket make it feed in just about anything. I keep the +p in the primary mag for my Uzi for that reason. I load the non +p 124gr in a couple handguns that I ccw and in an old VP-70 because it feeds so good.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

If it's FBI or IWBA compliant, and it feeds in your gun and goes were you want it to, it's fine.

It's what I'm trusting my life to right now, well that and shot placement, and magazine capacity.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this round? is it good for self defense? any ballistics tests?
    If your bullet placement is correct, it will perform pretty much the same as most other SD rounds of that bullet type; the target will never know the difference.

The only thing that I think is much better are the Win PDX-1, Ranger-T and Fed HST.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I use them in my off duty weapon but I use the bonded version. Great choice IMHO.
    One more step and it's on!

It's what's in the G17 on my hip right now. 124 gr. +P bonded version.

They feed perfectly, expand nicely, and (most importantly) I can buy them locally in the 50 count boxes at a price comparable to what the online stores are asking. My LGS has about 70-75 boxes of them in stock. In fact, I think I'm gonna go buy some more Saturday now that this thread has me thinking about them.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The Golden Sabre is a good round but seems to have one problem, in many cases the jackets separate from the bullet. Dripster has the right idea, if you buy the GS get the bonded ones.

I sorry for just giving a minority opinion, but I've carried this stuff for several months in my G19. It's readily available in Arkansas because of their manufacturing plant in Lonoke, but truth be told, I hate the 9mm Golden Saber. It's just...weak. I switched as soon as I could find some other higher performance 9mm ammo.

I don't have any scientific data or tests in ballistic gelatin, but the 9mm Golden Saber is a +P round that trundles along at a "blistering" 1050FPS. Meanwhile, Federal HST standard pressure 124-grain 9mm hums along at 1150FPS. I know that velocity isn't everything, but in 9mm, it's very important.

I've heard some folks say that the 9mm Golden Saber relies on bullet design for expansion and effectiveness and not velocity. I sure hope that's the case because I've shot it side by side with my Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot +P, and the Golden Saber is just not in the same performance league.

We shot some body armor with it at our range and it exhibited very little power and penetration. Compared to the other hot 9mm rounds we tested, the Golden Saber definitely took a backseat.

Personally, I would only carry it if nothing else were available, and then, it would have to be bonded because as stated above, jacket separation with Golden Saber is so common as to be the norm.

Where Remington has everyone else beat is availability. 9mm Golden Saber is everywhere, but I just think better options exist in the caliber when you can find it (Winchester, Federal, Speer, etc.). THanks.

I believe there are several better choices on the market, in terms of reliability of expansion, reliability of penetration to desirable depth, weight retention (due to jacket separation, mostly).

There's something about the shape of the round, though, that makes it one of the most reliable ammo I have ever tested in any of my pistols. Cycles very smoothly. I've always been able to rely upon this round for working in my pistols.

However, given a gun that works well with the Speer Gold Dot bullet (or any mfr ammo that uses it, ie DoubleTap, in either 124gr or 115gr), that's my choice over the Remington GS JHP any day of the week. In the DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P, it's 1310fps and 473 ft-lbs out of a 4in bbl. Great expansion, penetration and weight retention.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I don't have any experience with it, but I have researched ballistics quite a bit, in regards to SD ammo. The golden sabers aren't crap, but there is alot better hollow point ammunition on the market to put it frankly.

I would take it over alot of other stuff that's out there, ie magtech, and fmj's.
    NO NO NO NO NO! FMJ for self defense? Why? Over-pentration, zero expansion...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links