Empty Brass?

Empty Brass?

This is a discussion on Empty Brass? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a whole heap of empty brass from 30-30 to 9mm. Can I take it to the local scrap yard? Does anyone else do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Brass?

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...

Empty Brass?

I have a whole heap of empty brass from 30-30 to 9mm.
    Can I take it to the local scrap yard? Does anyone else do this?
    Id rather just take it to scrap yard than sort it and try and sell zip lock bags of it to a gun shop, i dont have a tumbler to pretty 'em up and I dont reload.
    Any help? thanks!
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

There are people on here that would form up a lynch mob if you did that. Take some time and sort it by calibre and offer it for sale here package it by the 100, 250, 500 depending on what it is. Most 1 fired brass is often sold untumbled, just mention it in your add. Your not going to get rich unless you have milions of rounds but it can get you enough to go to the movies for the weekend, currtainly more than the scrapeyard will give you..
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, you can sell it for scrap, but you'll get less for it than selling it to another reloader or store.
    If you were close enough, I'd come get it. Are there no gun clubs or reloaders around you that might be interested?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

if you have any .357 mag brass I'll buy some off you depending on the price. Might consider 30-30 brass as well

Well I certainly dont want the lynch mob after me. I know nothing about shipping cost. most of what i have is 357. I hope nickle plated casing is also acceptable?
    -also, i have some .410 empties too and i was wondering if the plastic was cut off if the scrap yard would consider that as brass as well??

also some of what i have has already been reloaded once. if thats the case....scrapyard?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Throwing in cut-off .410 cases would be considered "dirty materials" and would drop the price too low to be worth it. Best bet is to separate and look for a buyer. USPS has convienent "flat-rate" shipping if anyone on the forum wants to spring for buying your excess.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

hmm sounds like the .410 isnt worth my time at this point.. i only have 200 or so at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Throwing in cut-off .410 cases would be considered "dirty materials".
    would pistol brass with primers be considered dirty as well?

Yes, because the primer is steel.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    If the 410 hulls are Winchester AA, Remington STS or Federals you can get a good price for them.

The other stuff---price is determined by caliber and what kind of shape it is in. 9mm,.40 and .38 special brass will not bring the price that good .45ACP,.44Mag, 10mm will.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I have a whole heap of empty brass from 30-30 to 9mm.
    Can I take it to the local scrap yard? Does anyone else do this?
    Id rather just take it to scrap yard than sort it and try and sell zip lock bags of it to a gun shop, i dont have a tumbler to pretty 'em up and I dont reload.
    Any help? thanks!
    Indeed. Save every bit of it and maybe separate it. I used to sell some of mine back to the local gun shop. They'd give me around 3 per piece credit on my purchase. I've also sold thousands of empty brass cases over the internet and through forums. At one time, I had four people waiting for 45acp. USPS bulk rate boxes are wonderful! Wasn't turning a high profit on them, reasonable....since I couldn't use them myself. A lot of buyers liked them uncleaned and still with the primers intact, so I quit spending the time to de-cap and clean them. Most who will want to purchase your once fired brass start at 1000pcs. Some may take less on something they need and is hard to find. I had a local guy wanting all of my .380 auto and 45acp. whenever I had it. He's still looking for 10mm. Met him at a local gun show over two years ago.
    Be creative, and you can sell your brass if you have what's needed and in good quantity. Sure the local recycle center will take it, but again......you'll need pounds of it to make it worthwhile.

Broken,

Sort the brass and post it here, on GunBroker.com or pretty much anywhere and you will turn it over pretty quickly.

As far as shipping...use the USPS bulk boxes. Any weight for a fixed price. I received 4000 cases a couple of months ago in a flat rate box that the guy paid $10.95 for. It was heavy and looked like a basketball. Just make sure to tape the crap out of it if it is really heavy so it doesn't rupture. Don't forget the seams. You can check out GunBroker.com for the going prices. I don't typically pay more than 2 to 4 cents per case.

Good luck.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Figure, 2-3 cents a case, Buyer pays the shipping and you should be good to go. Best to sell in lots of 1,000 or more but if you only have a couple of hundred just package it up in the biggest lots you can and let the folks know what you got. you'll be ok. Check with local shops or local gun forums. if you only have a few of something, like 32-20 or something really odd just give it away on a local forums "Pay it Forward" thread. You'll gain some friends that way. The other day, I found a 32-20 brass. Just one and I'll give it away to somebody that needs it. Probably never see another one in my lifetime.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

All of this is increibly helpful, thank you! thank you! thank you!
    one quick question, the nickle plated ammo i previously mentioned... is it as valuable as its brass brethren?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links