SAAMI compliant ammo

This is a discussion on SAAMI compliant ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After shooting a small amount of 9mm 115 grain JHP +P from my wifes pistol, I realized that nowhere on the pistol or in the ...

Thread: SAAMI compliant ammo

SAAMI compliant ammo

After shooting a small amount of 9mm 115 grain JHP +P from my wifes pistol, I realized that nowhere on the pistol or in the manual does it say rated for +P ammo. The only thing the manual says is to shoot ammo that "complies with industry performance standards established by SAAMI." The ammo is Remington Express 9mm so I assume it is SAAMI certified; heck, Remington is listed as a member on the board but nowhere does it expressly identify this ammo as SAAMI certified. The pistol is a Taurus PT 92 purchased new last year. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by thedogfather; July 4th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: additional imformation

2. Remove Ads

Even commercially manufactured +P ammo conforms to SAAMI specs. +P ammo should only be used in currently manufactured firearms capable of handling the pressures involved. Lots of pistol manufacturers don't specify whether their pistol is +P rated. Some do and either specify that it's not rated for +P ammo, or leave the door open. Quite simply put, I'd recommend using the +P ammo only for practice and/or carry and not a steady diet......heck...who could afford a steady diet of +P anyway?
    The Taurus PT92? IMO....don't use the +P frequently for range practice. Practice with the 147gr 9mm and carry the 124+P if you want. Nothing against Taurus pistols here. I had a Beretta 92FS for while, and I don't know if I'd have put a lot of +P through that. It's just what I think of the design as a whole that makes me say that and why I wouldn't. Maybe my explanation isn't clear?

Personally, I think +P is overrated anyways. For one, like Ram said, you can't shot a steady diet b/c A). its too expensive and B). it wears your gun out quicker. That being said you cannot really get acclamated to the feel of it to carry properly. Muscle memory cannot be developed like it should be IMO. Throw in the fact that some guns are not rated or not clear if they are or not... All this for what? 100 extra fps maybe? Not worth it...
    "A .40 for easy carry, a .45 for the end of the world!!"

G30
    G23

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The idea of bigger and more powerful sells . . . and the ammo makers know it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The idea of bigger and more powerful sells . . . and the ammo makers know it.
    LOL! Marketing tactics again? Like a .380 auto +P should be a 9mm, a 9mm+P should be a .40S&W, and so on. Got a +P surprise myself this last week. Customer brought in a 257 Roberts rifle with ammo, and one of the boxes of ammo was Winchester 257 Roberts 117gr+P. Never figured on seeing +P ammo in a rifle cartridge offering. Now I feel like I've been living under a rock or something. Thing is, I still question as to why. Customer had not shot any of it through the rifle (luckily...as the stock needs a lot of work). Customer took the box of ammo back to the shop where purchased for a full refund on my advice. Rifle is an older custom job built on a '98 Mauser originally 7x57. I don't think the stock would have held up to the pressures even though I figure the rifle would have. +P is not always a good thing, nor should it be something to accomplish. Weigh the pros and cons and use the knowledge wisely. As stated previously....how much difference is 100fps going to make? Really? Okay, so I like to carry 124gr+P GDHPs when I carry a 9mm. They shoot well for me and my Glocks. The only reason they get the edge for me. Not just because they're +P. More +P=more care and maintenance as well as adhering more strictly to manufacturer's recommendations for parts replacements per rounds fired even if your pistol or firearm has been rated for +P ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps91two View Post
    Throw in the fact that some guns are not rated or not clear if they are or not... All this for what? 100 extra fps maybe? Not worth it...
    It's not just the increase in velocity. The energy can also be a lot greater. For example Speer Gold Dots in +P variety have a lot more power than the same weight in standard pressures.

124 grain +P: 1220 fps and 410 foot pounds of energy
    124 grain: 1150 fps and 364 foot pounds of energy

IMO, I don't think the increase in recoil is that much greater than a standard round and can easily be adjusted to.

Links