Buffalo Bore 125 Grain 38 Special report

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore 125 Grain 38 Special report within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I figured it was about time to rotate my carry rounds, and shoot my old stuff. I have been carrying Buffalo Bore 125 grain ...

Thread: Buffalo Bore 125 Grain 38 Special report

Ok, I figured it was about time to rotate my carry rounds, and shoot my old stuff. I have been carrying Buffalo Bore 125 grain JHP's in 38 Special for awhile. These are the standard pressure but "heavy" per Buffalo Bores web site;

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

I figured since I was going to use the ones I have been carrying in my EDC up I might as well see what they can do. My daughter and I went out to my mother's back wood lot to shoot. I took a bunch of gallon milk jugs filled with water.

First I shot a couple of rounds of target ammo, Winchester white box 130 grain's into the jugs. As I expected they passed through all 5 jugs and hit the backstop. Other than the entrance and exit holes the jugs did not show any effects.

Then I set up the same set up for the Buffalo Bores. The first shot was at about 10 feet. I had to get down on one knee to line up with the low bench the jugs were on.

The effect on the first jug was astonishing! The jug literally jumped up almost a foot, and landed on the ground about 2 feet from the bench!
    The jug was ripped apart from top to bottom. Further examination showed a second tear on the back side about 4 inches long and the exit hole was almost the size of the recovered expanded round.

The bullet passed thru three gallon jugs, and actually pierced the fourth jug but ended up bouncing back into the third jug. The expansion was just like you normally see from the Speer Gold Dots. I am pretty sure that somewhere on the Buffalo Bore web site they used to say they use the Speer bullets for this load. (see pic).

Ammo.jpg

I shot a second shot into new jugs and got exactly the same results. The expansion is consistant and the pentetration is what it's supposed to be. After seeing the effect on the water jug I feel that the damage done to a live target would be considerable.

As we were leaving for the day my daughter mentioned that she had her camera with her and we could have gotten video of the shots had we thought about it.

Maybe next time. For now I plan on sticking with the Buffalo Bore for my EDC. I have seen some people say it's a little pricey but I don't think its that much more than other quality SD ammo, and besides you don't need to buy all that much. In a revolver a box should prove it works in your gun. Buy a second box and you have a year's supply.

There is no doubt that Buffalo Bore® makes superior ammunition. FWIW I have better accuracy, and penetration with THIS in my Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL.

blowing up jugs is always fun. when i bring out new people to the range is let them blow up jugs. the .44 mag and .357 mag do a nice job of it. Since they are new I usually try to keep them with the mini-14 after having graduated up from the 10-22. For extra fun put food coloring or cool-aid mix in the jugs to add some color

Administrator
    Their ammo is right up there with the best for SD Carry. You'll need a fat wallet if you want to shoot a lot of it. Be confident carrying it though. It's amazing hard hitting superior quality ammo.

FYI - Their .380 is absolutely the best and hardest hitting there is - IF your pistol will feed it reliably. That is what I carry in my PPK/S as my BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    There is no doubt that Buffalo Bore® makes superior ammunition. FWIW I have better accuracy, and penetration with THIS in my Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL.
    Have you tried shootting it into jugs or other media? How is the expansion of the SWC-?HC? It appears in the picture it is a hollowpoint (HC=??)

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Have you tried shootting it into jugs or other media? How is the expansion of the SWC-?HC? It appears in the picture it is a hollowpoint (HC=??)
    Yes, it penetrated all four gallon milk jugs and penetrated 4" of wet newsprint lying behind them!

Links