Corbon DPX really so superior?

This is a discussion on Corbon DPX really so superior? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I am on the hunt for the best ammunition for me and my Ruger SP101for concealed carry purposes. I am currently carrying Remington 125gr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So,
    I am on the hunt for the best ammunition for me and my Ruger SP101for concealed carry purposes. I am currently carrying Remington 125gr SJHP, but they kick like a mule, so I believe I need a more mid-range load. I am looking into a few that I haven't before (Silvertip, Gold Dot, etc.) primarily the Corbon DPX 125gr ammunition. I have used Golden Sabers in the past, but I have read quite a bit about the jacket and core seperating, so I thought about considering something new. DPX rounds cost nearly $40 (MidwayUSA) for meer 20 rather than Golden Sabers for $26 and 25 rounds. While my life has no price tag on it, for those of you familiar with these rounds is the price difference justified? It has occured to me more than once it may just be something like price gouging for those of us that aren't allowed to carry lead. Thoughts?

I am not familiar with its performance in all calibers, but I've heard it expands almost 100% of the time. Although, will it be twice as good considering it is almost twice the price, I doubt it.

Look at those Glaser Safety Slugs. Nearly $2 per round...you can get 6 rounds for just under $12. Yikes! Seems gimmicky to me...unless I'm shooting goats at point-blank range.

I carry .380 and I am not impressed with the penetration in the DPX, but in your .357 it would probably work OK. The Corbon JHP round gets good reviews though.

But hey, just about anything coming out of your hand canon would be sufficient.

I keep the .357s loaded with DPX in the HD config. This was a result of looking at the various comparison tables and photos posted by various impartial reviewers. The DPX doesn't just expand reliably, but expands in the specific way that I want - spread-out petals with jagged edges.

Don't take my word for it, look at sites like this one. Draw your own conclusions and make your own decision. Far as I'm concerned, the price is negligible. Not like you'd be buying a lot of it, and this is the ammo you hope you'll never have to use. If you ever do need to use it, you may only get one shot, so it had better count.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    .357 Magnum, right? Don't think the receiving end is gonna care what comes out of it. Really.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If you think Golden Sabers kick, wait till you shoot Cor-Bons...... They are hot loads, but I have used them for 25+ years.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

They're expensive because they're hard to manufacture. Solid copper bullet made in one piece, you can't just make it on conventional bullet making equipment. I've seen the old discontinued .38 non +p and the newer +p expand pretty poorly from snubs but it shouldn't be an issue in .357. It's up to you if it's worth the cost. I use the 125gr Gold Saber in .357 from an older K frame gun and I think it's a great mid range load. I picked the GS just because I didn't want to shoot a lot of thr 125gr SJHP in this gun. I don't think a core-jacket separation should be an issue with this load.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Now, I've never shot anyone with the Cor-Bon 125-gr. DPX load, but I found it to be relatively mild-recoiling compared to even my practice ammo at the time (SP101, 158-gr. LRN Blazer aluminum).
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The DPX doesn't just expand reliably, but expands in the specific way that I want - spread-out petals with jagged edges.
    Imagine this spinning projectile as it rips into you at 681mph!

Corbon DPX

The DPX is a top-notch round in .38/.357. I've currently got .38 Gold Dots in my wife's S&W 66 home defense revolver, but I'll be upgrading to DPX as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    The DPX is a top-notch round in .38/.357. I've currently got .38 Gold Dots in my wife's S&W 66 home defense revolver, but I'll be upgrading to DPX as soon as possible.
    Nice HD gun. I bought one of those over 20 years ago at the time when the police were making the big transition from revolvers to semi-autos. A great gun, even in high power .357mags.

40dpx that hit a groundhog and i pulled from the dirt

a 165 GD same hit

placement beats brand, but all things being =, stick with the top 5 tested...

I don't know if it's "so" superior, but the ballistics show it IS superior, and I want every edge I can get. Expansion is 100%, it petals rather than mushrooms which creates a devastating knife effect in the wound channel, the petaling enables it to penetrate better than most other rounds, even in a light weight, and, as someone mentioned, it's a hot load. I carry it in 9mm and .40 S&W. I can't carry it in .357 mag. 'cause my Titanium frame revolver isn't rated for light bullets. I have Hornady 158 gr. JHP there.

Quote Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
    That's more of a lateral move than an upgrade.

There's no .357, but here is a good comparison of DPX and HST in the 3 main pistol rounds.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    I don't know if it's "so" superior, but the ballistics show it IS superior, and I want every edge I can get. Expansion is 100%, it petals rather than mushrooms which creates a devastating knife effect in the wound channel, the petaling enables it to penetrate better than most other rounds, even in a light weight, and, as someone mentioned, it's a hot load. I carry it in 9mm and .40 S&W. I can't carry it in .357 mag. 'cause my Titanium frame revolver isn't rated for light bullets. I have Hornady 158 gr. JHP there.
    HST, Gold Dot, and Ranger T form petals as well. Penetration is roughly equal to other premium HPs, as seen in the link I posted.

First- About 6 mo ago I read an excellent discertation on the Cor-Bon round that was posted by Janq. Having read (and understanding) his writings, I chose to load my Kahr PM40 with nothing else. It just makes sense. My wife bought me a box of PDX1(?) for Christmas, and I know it's the FBI load, but having read Janq's post (and understanding it) I won't carry any other without SERIOUS reasons. No time to search for Janq's post, if someone can link it, it is a highly valuable resource.

Regards,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    First- About 6 mo ago I read an excellent discertation on the Cor-Bon round that was posted by Janq. Having read (and understanding) his writings, I chose to load my Kahr PM40 with nothing else. It just makes sense. My wife bought me a box of PDX1(?) for Christmas, and I know it's the FBI load, but having read Janq's post (and understanding it) I won't carry any other without SERIOUS reasons. No time to search for Janq's post, if someone can link it, it is a highly valuable resource.

Regards,
    Josh
    I find that hard to believe. The FBI heavily weighs performance against auto glass in testing duty ammo and this is the biggest failing of the DPX. The petals shear unevenly and it veers off course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links