Trigger/Flinch control

This is a discussion on Trigger/Flinch control within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for views on randomly mixing snap caps with live ammo for malfunction and clearing training at the range....

Thread: Trigger/Flinch control

Trigger/Flinch control

Looking for views on randomly mixing snap caps with live ammo for malfunction and clearing training at the range.
    Glock 19
    Glock 23

I have the fever,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GLO23 View Post
    Looking for views on randomly mixing snap caps with live ammo for malfunction and clearing training at the range.
    If someone else loads them, or if you load them and are expecting them? Train the best way you know how. I have no right to tell you any different.

I do it, but I load three mags and put them in the range bag and then grab and go. It helps if someone is there, but not always practical.

I do it all the time. Either have somebody else load your mags, or do it yourself without looking.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Yes, I plan on having someone load them for me.
    Glock 19
    Glock 23

I have the fever,

I in the begining that a problem like yours. If you flinch while pulling the trigger try to pull the trigger back and ease off it. Keep pulling a little more each time with the intent of not letting a round go off. When It does go off I will bet that you will be right in the center of the ring. You flinch because you know it is going to go off but when you relax you do not flinch.

Dry-fire practice. Condition yourself to not expect/anticipate recoil.
    "Behold, this is a choice land, and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall be free from bondage, and from captivity, and from all other nations under heaven, if they will but serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ..."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother J View Post
    Dry-fire practice. Condition yourself to not expect/anticipate recoil.
    ^^ THIS

The "wall drill" works well for this. http://pistol-training.com/archives/118

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Dry-firing never helped me on this, I guess for the same reason that practice swings never improved my golf game. For me there is no substitute for hitting the ball, and there is no substitute for a loud 'bang' and recoil. I found that obsessing on the target and mentally 'pressing' the round onto it really tightened up my game. I also found that increasing my grip and having my support hand provide about 70% of the grip tension really helped as well.

Dry-fire is practice, ball-and-dummy drill is the test,

I flinch primarily from noise. I used double hearing protection until I was a bit more used to it, and that helped. Also, I flinch the most when I'm worrying about getting the tightest group possible. I guess I psych myself out. 2 things seem to help:

1 - with a new gun - a Ruger Alaskan 44 mag for me - go plinking for a while. 'ENJOY' the boom. It is part of the fun - the hand cannon effect. What male doesn't enjoy lighting off an explosive? Pick a target that is a challenge to hit but not impossible, and score yourself by percentage of hits at a given range. Right now, my standard is a soda can at 20 yards.

2 - Set a strict time limit. When you start worrying more about getting the shot off before the time limit than recoil, flinching (for me) is cut way down.

Another thing - don't shoot until it is painful. That sets you back. Shoot until your hand is tired but not hurting (about 18 rounds of full bore 44 mag for me right now), then either quit or switch hands. The moment it becomes painful, you teach your body pain is about to come. Stop short of that point so your body anticipates your fun from setting off your hand cannon. I think one shot with pain cancels out 20 without...so go a bit too far, and you've negated all you learned from the prior shooting.

Snap caps don't help me. They reveal that I am flinching, but they don't solve the problem. The problem is that your brain associates firing the gun with pain - noise or recoil. The solution is to teach your brain that there is nothing to fear.

Practice

It's a good idea. I also load full power +p+ ammo mixed with range ammo. Train for the unexpected.

I appreciate all of the input thus far.
    Glock 19
    Glock 23

I have the fever,

A dry practice regimen is the prescription in order...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thousands of dry-fire clicks (with no flinch, as demonstrated by the red flash from my LaserLyte LT-Pro) haven't cured me of the bad flinch that rears it's ugly head during live fire practice. So now I'm experimenting with live fire exercises to help me exorcise my flinch. Today's practice went pretty well.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Links