Mailing Ammo

Mailing Ammo

This is a discussion on Mailing Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know what it takes to mail ammo to someone else? I had a DC member PM about some ammo I had and later ...

Thread: Mailing Ammo

Mailing Ammo

Does anyone know what it takes to mail ammo to someone else? I had a DC member PM about some ammo I had and later thought you know what, I'll just mail some to her. Afterward I got to thinking about USPS ruless and realized it probably wasn't as simple as packing it up and mailing it out. I've never had a need to do this before so any insight would be appreciated. I am guessing the hoops one would have to jump thru would make this not worth it.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    USPS will not accept ammunition shipments; you need to go through UPS. Make sure it is solidly packed and will not shift around, and mark the outside of the box "ORM-D: Cartridges, Small Arms" on at least three sides in block letters with a sharpie or similar.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    USPS will not accept ammunition shipments; you need to go through UPS. Make sure it is solidly packed and will not shift around, and mark the outside of the box "ORM-D: Cartridges, Small Arms" on at least three sides in block letters with a sharpie or similar.
    This is the only safe way I know, but, you only need one ORMD & etcetera placard. More won't hurt.

Ammo on bulk can be pretty heavy. Which arm/leg do they accept...right or left?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    They'll put an ORMD sticker on it. Don't let them push adult signature option needed. It isn't and it cost extra. I shipped a lot of ammo to a lot of different places this year. Depending on how far it's going, it can be expensive. This can help give you an idea. https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_us
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'll give you an idea about shipping. I was going to order two 50 rnd boxes of .380 from Az which is just next door. The shipping charges alone were in excess of $16.00. This was by FedEx, I don't know if UPS is any better, probably worse. These guys obviously don't gas up at Circle K.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The shipping charges alone were in excess of $16.00.
    I doubt that UPS or FedEX were going to get all of that $16. Some stores jack up the shipping and handling so that they can make the online price seem lower. Always take shipping into account when ordering online. Every so often, Cabelas, Sportsman's Guide, and I'm sure others have $5 shipping coupons.

I deliver ammo all the time. Some shippers require a signature, some don't. For residential customers the signature option is really not needed as the driver will determine if the site is safe to leave a package at.

Links