Sardine can ammo

This is a discussion on Sardine can ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would ike to find some good quality ammo for long term and/or emergency storage. I like the idea of the vacuum sealed "sardine cans" ...

Thread: Sardine can ammo

Sardine can ammo

I would ike to find some good quality ammo for long term and/or emergency storage. I like the idea of the vacuum sealed "sardine cans" but it seems that the only thing available packed this way is from Russian manufacturers. Personally, I don't have enough experience with russian ammo to say if it is good or bad, but the consensus seems to be that it is low quality.

Does anyone know of another source for good quality ammo packed in tins? Or would it make sense to vacuum seal my favorite ammo and store it in milsurp ammo cans along with a dessicant packet?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

From all I have read and experienced, I don't believe ammo needs much special protection to last a very long time. As late as the 90s in the Navy we were using signal flares from WWII, fifty year old stuff exposed to the sea air and all. I think regular cartridges are even more reliable.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I agree with sigs. I've shot .44 Special ammo through my .44 Magnum that was made in the 1800's and had no problems.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Ya, I've heard that. What about if it is stored in shall we say less than desirable conditions, like in an attic or a damp area? Or maybe even along with some buried treasure...

In my opinion what you are really asking is, how can I bury ammo and still have it usable. It would seem to me that the best solution would be to make battle packs like is used for the Nato ammo, that is a heat sealed pack, vacuum pack. A good heat seal vacuum unit should do anything that you want, as long as you do not leave it laying out in the sun. Ammo cans are awesome, as long as there is not an abundance of water in the area, as the ammo cans rust, however PVC pipe does not. I would still pack the ammo in a vacuum packed bag, as I must assume that you are making a bug out storage facility.
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I agree with sigs. I've shot .44 Special ammo through my .44 Magnum that was made in the 1800's and had no problems.
    S&W developed the 44 special in 1907,ammunition will last longer than most peoples lifetimes with proper storage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    In my opinion what you are really asking is, how can I bury ammo and still have it usable. It would seem to me that the best solution would be to make battle packs like is used for the Nato ammo, that is a heat sealed pack, vacuum pack. A good heat seal vacuum unit should do anything that you want, as long as you do not leave it laying out in the sun. Ammo cans are awesome, as long as there is not an abundance of water in the area, as the ammo cans rust, however PVC pipe does not. I would still pack the ammo in a vacuum packed bag, as I must assume that you are making a bug out storage facility.
    Thank You!

Links