Reloading not looking quite as good.

This is a discussion on Reloading not looking quite as good. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The prices for ammo especially .223 has really come down lately. It seems you can have it all day long for $300 per 1k. To ...

Thread: Reloading not looking quite as good.

Reloading not looking quite as good.

The prices for ammo especially .223 has really come down lately. It seems you can have it all day long for $300 per 1k. To buy once fired brass, bullets, powder, and primers with shipping would run me $256 per 1k. Plus, I just have a single stage reloading press so 1k would take a long time. Seems like buying loaded ammo makes more sense than a year ago. I wonder how those people that sucked up all that $500 per 1k ammo feel today?

Also, does anyone know where to find some 9mm Federal Hyrdashok 124 grn? Can not find it anywhere and don't really want to get another kind and have to go back through the 100-200 rnd function check.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

2. Remove Ads

I'm still reloading,I started reloading about 5 years ago when I realised without ammo all my guns are expensive clubs ,It costs me about $120.00 1000 55grn fmj,still using powder and primers and bullet tips I bought when it was still cheap,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While it's nice to save a few bucks reloading (I don't buy bulk components to get bigger savings), I reload for the enjoyment. I find it therapeutic, relaxing. I can also turn out custom loads that will shoot far more accurately in my rifles than any factory loads. Handloads can be "tuned" to a particular firearm. The choice of available loads is far greater than what is factory available.

So if you just looking at blasting tin cans and paper with an AR, cheap bulk factory ammo is probably the way to go, time- and money-wise. But if you're trying to shoot out a gnat's eye at 300 yards with your precision varmit rifle, the handload will come out on top.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Reloading is a hobby unto itself, that from time to time, makes lots of financial sense. I do not reload very much now, but have (on and off) since I was a child. I remember loading up trays of 38spl with my Dad. One of my jobs was to be certain that EVERY case had powder in it, and NONE looked different from the others. My Dad threw the charges until I was a little older.

These days, I like to load a bit for rifles and 38/357. That's about it. I don't get much "hobby time" these days, and would rather spend it shooting than loading.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Your math is a bit off. You can reuse the brass (the most expensive part), so what's the cost without that? What type of bullets are you using? If you don't buy enough online, you can wind up paying more b/c of the haz-mat fees; otherwise it can be cheaper to buy powder/primers local.

Like others have said, there's also accuracy and enjoyment aspects of it. It also opens up new aspects of shooting like certain bullets that aren't available in factory loads or light loads for new shooters or plinking. You also wind up knowing more about your individual firearm which can alert you to when things are starting to wear.

True about the brass. I was just looking up the components for 1k rounds of .223 and comparing the cost to factory loaded ammunition. The $25 haz-mat fee for the powder and primers adds a bit to the cost as well. I do enjoy reloading but time is becoming more limited all the time and so long as the costs are the same I feel my press will be neglected.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Exclamation Reloading not looking quite as good

Reloading not looking quite as good?
    Relaxation!
    I shoot to unwind,
    I reload to unwind,
    I just can't decide if I reload to shoot more or shoot to reload more!
    Life is good.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

hydra shock

I saw some on ammunitiontogo.com

Quote Originally Posted by N.M. Edmands View Post
    Reloading not looking quite as good?
    Relaxation!
    I shoot to unwind,
    I reload to unwind,
    I just can't decide if I reload to shoot more or shoot to reload more!
    Life is good.
    +100%
    A hand gun is like a fire extinguisher , I wish to use neither, but have both on hand in case of need ; both are personal protection devices that serve the same purpose . ie safety of you and your family.

The largest cost you list once fired brass, I do not have, I pick up my old brass. I have reloaded sice the 70's and enjoy "rolling my own". I go out to my shop, turn on the radio all alone, and relax. I am a IT director and need it after being hounded all day.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I use reloading as therapy. I just lock myself in the basement and pull that handle. When all my stress is gone...I emerge! Right now it is cheaper...but that really doesn't matter.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

If you add how long it takes you to reload, the advantages are marginal. Although it's good to know how to do it in the event it becomes necessary.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Links