Is Wal-Mart going to stop selling Ammo??

This is a discussion on Is Wal-Mart going to stop selling Ammo?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Sportsman Warehouse the other day (in Lexington, KY). It was the first time I had been in the store so I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I was in Sportsman Warehouse the other day (in Lexington, KY). It was the first time I had been in the store so I was there to check everything out. They have a nice selection in guns & ammo among other things (great knife selection as well). I asked one of the salesmen at the gun counter if they were cheaper on their ammo than Wal-Mart? I know that might sound brazen or a silly question to ask but sometimes I have found store employees are willing to give insight pertaining to their market, if you just ask. His reply to me was that they aren't currently cheaper than Wal-Mart but Wal-Mart was in the process of getting out of the ammunition business. He even went a bit further with this. He said that a comment was made - that Wal-Mart wouldn't be selling anything that would draw blood by 2012 (I think it was).

I did a basic search on this and haven't really found anything substantial. This is one of those things that sounds like a rumor to me but at the same time, it doesn't sound like it's beyond possibility.

If this is an urban myth, I apologize for bringing it up. In my search, there appeared to be a couple of posts from this forum pertaining to this topic but when I clicked on the links, they were dead.

Does anyone know if this is true or not? Does anyone have legitimate references pertaining to this?

Some people say that Wal-Mart makes too much money with guns & ammo but the ones in Lexington do not sell guns as it is right now. They may make a lot of money selling guns and ammo but I've also heard of their plans to expand out into a global economy. As you know, a lot of foreign countries would not permit the sales of guns & ammo. With this in mind, it stands to reason why Wal-Mart might phase some products out that aren't universal as a method to streamline their product availability, etc.

Thank you for your comments and assistance,

I believe WalMart has started to copycat Target in it's sporting goods area.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Wal-mart has been having trouble in keeping up with demand for some time now but locally they have been getting caught up in the ammo stocks. Wal-Mart stocks products that move fast depending on the locality of the individual stores, as an example the stores in my area do not sell reloading equipment or supplies but when I was in Oklahoma they had a good supply of both. Where I live we have three stores within a 25-mile radius, two sell guns and ammo whereas one sells ammo only. As far as other countries they will stock and sell whatever is legal and moves in that country. Wal-Mart marketing is based on a fast turn over, sell a lot of product at a fast pace with a low profit margin, if a product does not move get rid of it and replace it that does sell.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I believe WalMart has started to copycat Target in it's sporting goods area.
    I'm sorry, I'm not a big Target shopper, I don't know what your comment means? Do they avoid selling guns n' ammo as well?

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not a big Target shopper, I don't know what your comment means? Do they avoid selling guns n' ammo as well?
    Target's "sporting goods" department only has "games" such as baseball, soccer, golf balls, yoga equipment, bikes, skates, etc. No hunting or fishing equipment at all.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Target's "sporting goods" department only has "games" such as baseball, soccer, golf balls, yoga equipment, bikes, skates, etc. No hunting or fishing equipment at all.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Wal-mart has been having trouble in keeping up with demand for some time now but locally they have been getting caught up in the ammo stocks. Wal-Mart stocks products that move fast depending on the locality of the individual stores, as an example the stores in my area do not sell reloading equipment or supplies but when I was in Oklahoma they had a good supply of both. Where I live we have three stores within a 25-mile radius, two sell guns and ammo whereas one sells ammo only. As far as other countries they will stock and sell whatever is legal and moves in that country. Wal-Mart marketing is based on a fast turn over, sell a lot of product at a fast pace with a low profit margin, if a product does not move get rid of it and replace it that does sell.
    I see what you're talking about. With your comments in mind, I could conclude that my Wal-Mart will continue to sell ammo for as long as its a quick moving/selling product?

That does make sense. I wonder if they might stop if they started to become concerned about presenting a certain image? Although Sam Walton wouldn't perceive people buying ammo in a negative light, who's to say what current or future management might not start to conclude based upon biases that are shaped by geo-political matters that ammo sales presents the "wrong" image? I don't know, I'm just thinking outloud. Right now, I'm getting my Federal 40 S&W fmj at $14.50ish and I would hate to see that come to an end. I stopped by tonight to see if they had it and much to my delight, they had plenty. :-) The lady at the counter said that she had not heard of any plans to quit selling ammo.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i get mine at 13.50 ish at my Wal-mart, .40 cal Federal, gotta love cheap ammo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Depends entirely on their location. If Wal-Mart can make more selling the "yoga equipment" than ammo, they will probably sell the yoga stuff. The closer to the big cities, the less ammo sold. Smaller communities will probably keep the ammo, because there will be more of a demand for it.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let's cut thru the crappola here and get to the point: Walmart is profit driven and isn't going to stop selling anything that turns a buck.

A couple of months ago the ammo shelves at my local WW were bare--nada! A classic case of demand outstripping supply. Now their cup runneth over in all calibers, so if WW is getting out of the ammo business, they're doing it with a bang! What suprises me is that all their ammo isn't made in China!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If Wal-Mart is good at anything, it's making money.
    As long as ammo is flying off the shelf, they will (try to) supply it.
    I don't think they have any morals, but fear lawsuits.

the Target store in downtown Minneapolis sells some low end fishing stuff.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I remember a time when Wal-Mart sold handguns in the store, now they have to be special ordered. I remember when all Wal-Marts sold guns and ammo, now only some do. Wal-Mart will do whatever is politically correct.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    I remember a time when Wal-Mart sold handguns in the store, now they have to be special ordered. I remember when all Wal-Marts sold guns and ammo, now only some do. Wal-Mart will do whatever is politically correct.
    That's what I'm thinking. The one in Lexington used to sell guns too.

Well, they just put a new one in around here. It sells ammo and some shotguns, and this is Maryland. Just saying...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links