+P Ammo vs Glock

+P Ammo vs Glock

This is a discussion on +P Ammo vs Glock within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it safe (or wise) to use +P ammo in a glock -- specifically a G26 & G19? I've been thinking about trying some Winchester ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: +P Ammo vs Glock

+P Ammo vs Glock

Is it safe (or wise) to use +P ammo in a glock -- specifically a G26 & G19? I've been thinking about trying some Winchester PDX1 (9mm, 124gr +P). However, I thought I read somewhere where glocks weren't really designed to handle +P and that it should be avoided.

Read what you want, I fire +P Cor-Bon 9MM DPX in both of my Twin G-19's with no issues. I also have done the same thing in my G21 with 185 GR +P Cor-Bons. If it breaks send it to Glock just across town from where I live and they will fix it for free. Mine do it all day including my G-35 40S&W which is supposed to blow up with reloads, rate that as 7000 reloads thru it and counting. Much about nothing, unless you have bad reloads or cannot reload within specifications. Me, I have been making them since 1973.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

You can shoot +p's and +p+'s forever in a Glock. We shoot at least 250 hot rounds a month in our Glocks, and have been for 15 plus years. Never a problem.
    StormRhydr likes this.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by oldglockfan View Post
    Is it safe (or wise) to use +P ammo in a glock -- specifically a G26 & G19? I've been thinking about trying some Winchester PDX1 (9mm, 124gr +P). However, I thought I read somewhere where glocks weren't really designed to handle +P and that it should be avoided.
    Not sure where you read that but the 19 & 26 will handle +P by the bucket full if you can afford it. My carry load is 124 +P GDs that I shoot a couple hundred per year in my G19, can't afford more than that but never a problem with it. Your good to go with the PDX1.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Cool Glocks and Plus P's

I have no idea how well any of the 9mm or 40 S&W handle plus P or Plus P Plus, since I don't own or shoot either of those calibers.
    What I can attest to is the fact that my G30SF's both of them have fired over 2500 rounds of Fed HST +P's without a hitch. In fact, I can't really tell that I'm firing +P's out of them since the recoil is negligalbe with those guns.
    When I had my G21 SF, I fired at least 1800 rounds of that same Fed HST +P's also without a bobble.
    So in my opinion you are def good to go with any Glock model and +P's.
    I have also found that they are extremely accurate in all of the above mentioned Glocks.
    Good luck and always stay safe.
    USCCA/DEFENSIVE HANDGUNS
    GSSA/NRA
    DEFENSIVE CARRY
    GLOCK TALK
    PAFOA/American Gun Owners

my carry load is Winchester 127 +p+.... it will eat it all day long and keep going......+p and +p+ is fine for Glocks

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My G30 manual says:
    "Use only high quality commercially manufactured ammunition and in the caliber of your pistol. Glock does not recommend the use of unjacketed lead ammunition."

There are NO restrictions stated on commercial ammo, +P or otherwise. Reloaded ammunition will void the warranty (per Glock).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The current 3rd generation Glocks in 9mm are good to go with +P in my opinion even though the factory won't allude to this in the owner's manual. They were built to last. Like your vehicle and suggested maintenance schedules, it's like driving it down a dirt road every day as opposed to driving pavement. maintain your Glock accordingly. I've been using 124gr+P in my 9mm Glocks for as long as I've had them. Not often I shoot those, but that's what I carry. Who can afford to shoot a steady diet of +Ps at the range for practice? If you do, then maybe you could consider becoming a site supporter. Check yourself or have your Glock inspected periodically according to use. Recoil springs are relatively inexpensive.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I have access to some NATO 9mm ball that is not availible thru commercial sales. It makes anything you can buy feel like powder puffs after you squeeze off a few rounds. I actually had forgotten how hot this stuff is. My Glocks love this stuff. I would not be concerned about anything you can buy commercially.
    Bad Bob and StormRhydr like this.

I called Glock about this. Their response was as long as any ammo meets Saami specs, it's OK. Not sure what that means, but that's what I was told.

A Glock is perfectly capable of handling SAAMI/NATO and NATO pressures can be much higher than SAAMI. It's a NATO approved pistol.

Glock and +p Loads

I called Glock about this. Their response was as long as any ammo meets Saami specs, it's OK. Not sure what that means, but that's what I was told.
    SAAMI spec is simply saying as long as the round (case, bullet, seating depth, primer, etc.) is dimensionally within the caliber specification so it can feed and cycle properly, you are good to go. I am oversimplifying this conversation, but that is basically it. SAAMI stands for "Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manaufacturer's Institute." Most reputable commercially available ammo is SAAMI spec. I reload and for semi-automatic pistols or rifles I have to reload to SAAMI spec if I want the round to feed and cycle properly. For bolt-action rifles you can "tweak" loads to meet your specific gun to attain higher accuracy - especially as it relates to bullet seating depth, case neck size, etc. There is a tolerance range.

I only shoot +P when carry for personal defense. I also shoot IDPA and we use a "power factor" based when reloading ammo.

I hope this helps.

-Robert

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Yes it is ok! Years ago someone gave our agency a case of Israeli sub machinegun ammo (not for handguns). We used it up using our Gen 1 and Gen 2 Glocks with no ill effects. We issued +P+ Hydra-Shoks for duty use when we carried 9mm.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Yes it is ok! Years ago someone gave our agency a case of Israeli sub machinegun ammo (not for handguns). We used it up using our Gen 1 and Gen 2 Glocks with no ill effects. We issued +P+ Hydra-Shoks for duty use when we carried 9mm.
    Even though this thread is 3+ years old I wanted to add one thing to your post regarding +P+ rounds.

There is NO SAAMI standard for +P+ rounds, only for +P. There are multiple standards for +P+ based on different ammunition manufacturers so do NOT use the +P+ rounds unless you have contacted the handgun manufacturer and specifically verified that particular ammunition manufacturer's +P+ round is acceptable.

Over pressure failures are not pretty.
    sensei2 likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Glock's are designed for NATO ammo. As Gman posted it is WAY hotter than SAMMI.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links