.357 Magnum Ammo - Page 3

.357 Magnum Ammo

This is a discussion on .357 Magnum Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I load my 4" S&W 686 with the 125 gr Remington Golden Saber. Low recoil but still significantly more power than any .38 special....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I load my 4" S&W 686 with the 125 gr Remington Golden Saber. Low recoil but still significantly more power than any .38 special.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    It's been a LONG time since I considered a .357 Magnum for SD, and I'm a little out of touch with the ammo available for this caliber. I'd like to hear some good SD ammo suggestions for shooting from a Taurus 617 (2" Titanium) revolver. I do prefer a heavy bullet in this caliber. TIA!
    I've never seen nor heard of a Taurus 617 in Titanium ... so I looked it up and they did make one. I wouldn't own a 617 in a titanium for anything, and I own a 617. The recoil will be "bad" to say the least in a light weight titanium, and it's stout in a normal 617 with ribber grips (which do help a lot). The weight of a normal 617 is no biggy..... carry one quite often.

As far as ammo, I use a Federal HST HP and Hornandy CD. I like the Federal HST the best for SD in this gun.

Finding .357 ammo is still an issue out there since the ammo shortages began, it is the one caliber that has not gotten any better. However, you can get some .38 + P if nothing else.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Yea, Snowman, I just looked at the ballistics for the BB. Pretty impressive. The Double Tap looks good, too.
    I have a 38 special and when I shoot the Buffalo Bore, heavy standard pressure 125 grain, I can tell the difference in performance and recoil. Since you said you have no problem handling the recoil of the 357 Mag, I would suggest any of the Buffalo Bore loadings for SD. They are a little pricey but it dosent take a lot of them to verify they work in a revolver. For SD cost shouldn't be an issue anyways.
    Last edited by TedBeau; August 17th, 2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: because they don't make a 39 (typo)

357 golden saber
    38+p gold dots

Those are the ones that I carry. There are far hotter magnum loads from other manufacturers but they don't really serve my needs. I require the ability to get off a quick second and third shot as needed and to preserve hearing as much as possible after the incident, especially if I'm forced to discharge from inside a car. Those loads are the best compromise for that requirement set IMO. Carry is Ruger Speed Six 2.75"
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Keltyke,
    try this: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38vs357snub.htm Stephan Camp compares .38 to .357 ammo in several snubbies.

FWIW, I carry a .357 snubbie loaded with 124 grain .357 mag. with the assumption that after the velocity loss the magnum loads will roughly equal 9mm from a full-size gun. Why don't I just carry the full-size? Too big for Summertime pocket carry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links