Shotshells to defend bird feeders and other things

This is a discussion on Shotshells to defend bird feeders and other things within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've tried this and that. The 22lr shotshells just leave a cloud of dust and scare the marauders off for a couple of days. ...

Thread: Shotshells to defend bird feeders and other things

Shotshells to defend bird feeders and other things

Well, I've tried this and that. The 22lr shotshells just leave a cloud of dust and scare the marauders off for a couple of days. Using pepper dust in the feed is out of the question. Anyone use the 9mm, or 40S&W shotshell loads before? We also go fishing in the middle of the river often and being prepared for snakes is on my mind.......HPs would be a waste in this case. My Glock is always with me wherever I am. My local hardware store seems to have plenty of shotshells for the 9mm, 40S&W, 44spl, and 45ACP. Without actually buying them at the price listed, I'd like to know if the centerfire pistol shotshells would do any better than my rimfire shotshells out of a 16-18" barrel rifle at close range. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Get a nice pellet rifle, one that self cocks, not gas or air operated. Quiet, deadly. Assuming your "marauders " are squirrels. Problem with the furry rats is that they breed like flies and are also territorial. So you shoot one, another one takes up it's territory. and so on and so on.....you'll end up with a pile of bodies as high as your garage roof....
    Why don't you try a squirrel proof feeder? Save yourself a lot of ammo, time and trouble.

Administrator
    Just wondering why the need for shot shells vs. standard 22lr... I've used 38 shotshells for the same purpose you are asking for. The problem was it just maimed; it was a little inhumane imo. I switched to an Sheridan airgun and now I use my Tactical Solutions 10/22.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mr.Rod,my experince with rat shot is it works great in a revolver,but a semi-auto does not like to run them thru. Your auto my do fine. I have tried them in several different ones with no luck.

try using fox or cat urine or any predator urine and spary along your yard that seemed to work for me i have no squirells,cats, or any fury animails on my yard anymore.

VIP Member
    The center-fire ones work well out to 3-5 yds or so, some auto's shoot them fine.
    Snakes in water often need a double tap for a kill vs incapacitation.
    You did not ask, but, I post this anyway: Do no use the shot shell made for auto's in a revolver, even with moonclips, because they will split and jam up the gun with the split case in the cylinder and up against the recoil shield.

cmb
    I have used 9mm shot shells (please no comments about the gun) in a Hi-Point C9. It fed and functioned great, I have tried various shotshells in other gun and one thing to look out for is the angle of the feed ramp, if it is not just right the shotshell plastic nose can bust open and it is a mess. My C9 is a good gun and I have because I can take it places like fishing, camping etc and not worry about it, all my other guns can take the abuse and I know they are made to but something about it, no it is the happen chance amoething goes wrong and 500, 600, 900 gun in the lake...

9mm shot shells at 10 feet would pepper a snake, anything over that use a 22... try the Aquila ammo, sounds like a pellet gun but has a larger bullet and more speed...

As for the squirrels they'll keep anyone busy, go with the feeder they can't get in, an or feed them occasionally somewhere else!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRAM View Post
    try using fox or cat urine or any predator urine and spary along your yard that seemed to work for me i have no squirells,cats, or any fury animails on my yard anymore.
    That idea works, but I spend way too much time convincing a fox or cat to pee in the little cup.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just wondering why the need for shot shells vs. standard 22lr... I've used 38 shotshells for the same purpose you are asking for. The problem was it just maimed; it was a little inhumane imo. I switched to an Sheridan airgun and now I use my Tactical Solutions 10/22.
    Well, I would do the standard 22lr, but there's the question of the backstop and shooting across the creek into human territory if you know what I mean. I've stepped out the front door a few times and had two in my sights and fired while they were in the yard. If I miss the first time, I want a follow up shot with the 22lr. That's where the transition from shotshells to solids isn't a viable alternative since they are then on the move after the first shot. Both of my bird feeders are suspended with aircraft cable now, and my wife has been stepping out on the porch and clapping her hands when witnessing an attack. We haven't seen the enemy since. I just figured a 9mm shotshell would be covering a bit more and with larger pellets at more velocity.....and do well for the possible snake in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    The center-fire ones work well out to 3-5 yds or so, some auto's shoot them fine.
    Snakes in water often need a double tap for a kill vs incapacitation.
    You did not ask, but, I post this anyway: Do no use the shot shell made for auto's in a revolver, even with moonclips, because they will split and jam up the gun with the split case in the cylinder and up against the recoil shield.
    Thanks for the heads up. We only have one revolver and it's 22lr. Snakes in the river and a double tap seem fine to me with shot shells as opposed to shooting HPs from a two foot high vantage point while they may be coming towards you while you are over waist deep in the water. My rather expensive reel and rod combo would probably do better than single shots from my G27. But with shotshells, I might save my gear and my own skin.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRAM View Post
    try using fox or cat urine or any predator urine and spray along your yard that seemed to work for me i have no squirrels,cats, or any fury animals on my yard anymore.
    I'll have to look into that for the yard and the bird feeders. Anyone ever seen an Orchard Oriole? We've got a lot of exotics around here that we'd like to see coming back. Had some Baltimore Orioles early on in the season just passing through. Now...down to the snakes in the river. I guess I'll just have to try a box of 40S&W shot shells and patter them and see how they cycle through my G27. Thanks for the responses.

I've tried the 22 shot shells, and they're ineffective. 38 shot shells out of a revolver work well, but close range. 410 shotgun might be a better bet.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've tried the 22 shot shells, and they're ineffective. 38 shot shells out of a revolver work well, but close range. 410 shotgun might be a better bet.
    Hmmm...perhaps we've fnally found a use or the Judge...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    You know...oddly enough I knew this might be the best answer. Thing is, we don't have a 410, and nothing less than a 12ga. I guess there is a good purpose for everything even though we don't seem to have what we need at the time. Trying to work with what we've got. A 410 shotgun has never really been on my list. It only makes a little bit of sense now. Maybe I'll come across a used single shot. But I dang sure aint taking it into the river with me like I do my G27. I don't think the Judge would go too well appendix while wading through the river, and for the sole purpose of having a 410 versus the cost, I'd say it's out of the question.

Administrator
    The pistol shotshells are fun to play around with but, are not worth the money for anything other than goofing around.
    Though I have used them to pop some flying wasps out of the air.

I've still got my Savage Arms 410/22 over and under from when I was a kid. The perfect squirrel gun. Keep your eyes peeled and you may run across a good deal on a used 410...they're not exactly in high demand, so prices should be favorable. Since you alredy have a 12 ga, try to find a round that would work for that purpose...the bird feeder may not survive, though.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links