Why do people bash the 9mm so much?

This is a discussion on Why do people bash the 9mm so much? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wondering this as of late as I always hear people in real life and on forums bashing the 9mm,and they bash it hard ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why do people bash the 9mm so much?

I've been wondering this as of late as I always hear people in real life and on forums bashing the 9mm,and they bash it hard to. They'll say things like "i wouldn't shoot can with a 9mm" or "you better get a hi cap mag,if your lucky he'll go down by the 15th round" its just amazes me all the hate that abounds for this round.

I've never been in the service but I have friends/family who have been and still are,two of the them Navy seals and they have told me that they use Sig 226 9mm's and they have both said a 9mm will work fine for SD,that what one carries as his own personal weapon on his CCW. To me this says a lot in the sense that these people have actually shot people with a 9mm handgun with ball ammo no less,and they say it where you put the bullet. All this being said with the modern JHP's we have no like the Speer GDHP and golden sabers and others I feel a 9mm in perfectly fine for SD use.

A friend of mine also told me that a lot of the 9mm failure to stop stories you hear are just retold by those who have heard this from others.,and that it was a combination of primitive JHP design 20+ years ago with poor shot placement. As my friend says "all handguns are underpowered just pick what you shoot the best,practice and you'll be fine". So who here feels the same as I do that the 9mm is a good SD round?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Some people are ignorant. They don't realize that a well placed 9mm, or even just a lucky one shot hit, to a vital area is just as deadly as that from a .44magnum.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Because everyone needs a hobby.

I have to agree with you, It does get a lot of hate spewed about it. I guess it's the mentality of bigger is better. I too have several friends that are seals, and one that is a seal instructor and none of them feel under gunned with the 9mm. I will say that their shot placement is ridiculously good regardless of what their shooting.

I have seen one person that was shot with a 9mm and a few animals and it is nothing to scoff at with HD loads.

Capacity envy.
    marcclarke likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Now I'll just sit back and watch the disagreements fly
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

My general stance on modern semi-autos is to get a 9mm, .40 or .45 that you can shoot well, and reliably will feed JHPs. Train with it so you can hit what you are trying to, and the odds are it will get the job done. I really think the caliber debate is more hyped up than it should be. I've seen 5.56 work, and not work, same with 7.62x51. Its about knowing what you are doing and being able to hit the vitals on your target. A caveat is that I do think anything below .380 in a semi-auto is a bit lacking in power (no I don't want to get shot by an of them), but studies have shown that those rounds are a bit anemic, but they are still better than a sharp stick.

Personally, I like .45's, thats just me. I can shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun I've shot, and for me a 1911 is a .45. But there are 9mms (like the 226), that I would be comfortable carrying if I could shoot them as well, especially with JHPs.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    My general stance on modern semi-autos is to get a 9mm, .40 or .45 that you can shoot well, and reliably will feed JHPs. Train with it so you can hit what you are trying to, and the odds are it will get the job done. I really think the caliber debate is more hyped up than it should be. I've seen 5.56 work, and not work, same with 7.62x51. Its about knowing what you are doing and being able to hit the vitals on your target. A caveat is that I do think anything below .380 in a semi-auto is a bit lacking in power (no I don't want to get shot by an of them), but studies have shown that those rounds are a bit anemic, but they are still better than a sharp stick.

Personally, I like .45's, thats just me. I can shoot a 1911 better than any other handgun I've shot, and for me a 1911 is a .45. But there are 9mms (like the 226), that I would be comfortable carrying if I could shoot them as well, especially with JHPs.
    Pretty much sums it up for me.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Hey, the 9mm in +p is a formidable round IMO. I'll carry a 9mm anytime. I will admit that when I got my Kimber .45, I did feel like I was tote'n a hand cannon though. And I like it!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I do have a preference, the 10mm. But against human threats the nine is just fine. My preference is based on the desire and need for ultimate versatility. Unlike some others I shoot all handgun equally well regardless of design or caliber. I think alot of the crap you are hearing is from wannabe experts who are repeating old biased opinions . I carry a 9mm on occasion and feel totally well armed.

Some people are just stuck in their ways and will never change their mind. My Glock 17 will become my primary EDC once the cold weather sets in. If you want to laugh at my ability to carry 52 rounds with ease, go right ahead. I won't mind.

....because it's not a 10mm

But in all seriousness I feel that 9mm, 9mm+P, and 9mm+P+ are all acceptable rounds for SD. And you've got to love the high capacity
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Nothing wrong with the 9mm, I CC one myself & feel well armed. I can shoot more for less ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    ....because it's not a 10mm

But in all seriousness I feel that 9mm, 9mm+P, and 9mm+P+ are all acceptable rounds for SD. And you've got to love the high capacity
    Cause it's not a 10mm.....ain't that the truth!

Thats what I'm thinking as well that 9mm allows me to shoot twice as much,so to my way of thinking that is double the range time with my weapon to become even more proficient with it and that what is important here right?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links