Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Hollow Point ammunition

This is a discussion on Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Hollow Point ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have some of this ammo for a .40 Sig P239 in 180 grain. It was suggested by a guy at my gun store. Upon ...

Distinguished Member

I have some of this ammo for a .40 Sig P239 in 180 grain. It was suggested by a guy at my gun store.

Upon getting it home and reading the label more carefully (yes, I should have done this in the store) I see that it is designed for TWO INCH barrels.

My 239 has a 3.6 inch barrel. I have not been to the range yet to try it since buying it.

Will it be inappropriate for that gun? What performance change would there be over regular gold dot defensive ammunition?

The more I read the more unclear I am on how it might affect things.

Advice welcome.

You're OK. The "short barrel" Gold Dots use a different powder load that burns more completely in short barrels, but they give up nothing in longer barrels. If you're a "numbers person" like I am, you can confirm this by Googling "Ballistics by the Inch". Your Gold Dot SB ammo was compared with 10 other .40 S&W loads, and its performance is consistent with the others.

If there indeed is a .40 pistol out there with a two-inch barrel, if you compared the standard GD with the "Short Barrel" load, you would likely see more muzzle flash from the standard load, and a slightly lower velocity than the SB load.

Gold Dots in any formulation are good stuff. Go forth in peace and once you verify this ammo's function in your gun, carry it with confidence.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cammo Girl, I thought it was designed for barrels that are 4 in and under. You should be ok. I would buy another box or 2 and make sure it feeds ok and see how it shoots in your gun. I shoot it in my g19 and it has a 4.16? barrel and does fine. It meets SAAMI specs, so I dont sweat it.

sgb
    I concur with gasmitty, you're good to go.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You're OK. The "short barrel" Gold Dots use a different powder load that burns more completely in short barrels, but they give up nothing in longer barrels. If you're a "numbers person" like I am, you can confirm this by Googling "Ballistics by the Inch". Your Gold Dot SB ammo was compared with 10 other .40 S&W loads, and its performance is consistent with the others.

If there indeed is a .40 pistol out there with a two-inch barrel, if you compared the standard GD with the "Short Barrel" load, you would likely see more muzzle flash from the standard load, and a slightly lower velocity than the SB load.

Gold Dots in any formulation are good stuff. Go forth in peace and once you verify this ammo's function in your gun, carry it with confidence.
    You're good to go with the Short Barrel Gold Dots as long as they feed in your gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Ditto the post Bark'n & it's very good quality self-defensive ammunition.

Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel is among my top three choices for carry ammo in .40 S&W. That ammo will do fine in your gun. Be sure to run at least a box through it to verify reliable feeding and ejecting. If it still makes you nervous, look at Corbon DPX or Hornady Critical Defense instead.

Well if you don't like it either shoot it and go buy some of the normal GDHPs or just send your remaining short barrel GDs to me
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Distinguished Member
    Thank you all. Will report in after I shoot some back to back with another type.

OH, maybe this is the excuse to get that velocity gizmo.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I have some of this ammo for a .40 Sig P239 in 180 grain. It was suggested by a guy at my gun store.

Upon getting it home and reading the label more carefully (yes, I should have done this in the store) I see that it is designed for TWO INCH barrels.

My 239 has a 3.6 inch barrel. I have not been to the range yet to try it since buying it.

Will it be inappropriate for that gun? What performance change would there be over regular gold dot defensive ammunition?

The more I read the more unclear I am on how it might affect things.

Advice welcome.
    The 2-inches applies to .38 Special and .357 Mag revolver cartridges -- it's marketing boilerplate info. The length of the test barrel used for Speer's short-barrel ammo is 3.5 inches for 9mm and .40 Smith and Wesson. So, your Sig 239 is right where it should be for this short-barrel cartridge.

http://le.atk.com/ballistics/speer/d...3974&firearm=2

It's about more than the powder. The bullets used in the Short Barrel ammo are engineered to penetrate and expand at lower velocities from shorter barrels.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    OH, maybe this is the excuse to get that velocity gizmo.
    Might be a good idea. Soon as I have some free money, I'll get a chronograph. It'll tell me exactly what's going on with my ammo in my gun. All guns and barrels are different and will affect velocity readings.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually the added barrel length should translate into higher velocity and better expansion. You might want to test fire it, but I wouldn't worry.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Links