Federal Personal Defense Ammo - Your opinions please - Page 2

Federal Personal Defense Ammo - Your opinions please

This is a discussion on Federal Personal Defense Ammo - Your opinions please within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by FastDraw Hi Folks, I'm curious about what you (experts) think of Federal Premium Personal Defense ammo (Hydra-Shok JHP). Years ago I started ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Hi Folks,

I'm curious about what you (experts) think of Federal Premium Personal Defense ammo (Hydra-Shok JHP). Years ago I started buying a LOT of this stuff... for my .40 caliber Glocks (G23, G27) and for my Rugers (P85 MII - 9mm, P90 - .45 ACP). The Glocks and the Rugers feed this ammo flawlessly. The 9mm ammo is 135 grains, the .40 ammo is 135 grains, and the .45 ammo is 165 grains. (I don't have the velocities for each in front of me. Federal advertises this ammo as "high energy, low recoil."

I guess the reason I want your opinions is that I rarely read about the Fed Personal Defense ammo.... relative to the comments regarding Golden Sabre, Gold Dot, Hornady, Corbon, etc......

I must confess..... I'm not an expert on ballistics. Also, I will admit I've never shot a bad guy with a handgun, so I really don't know just how my Fed Prem Personal Defense ammo would perform in "stopping the threat" in the real world. (For what it's worth, I am a vet of 'Nam and did effectively fire the black rifle in combat.)

I prefer not to go to the expense of testing and replacing all of my carry ammo with another brand........ unless someone can convince me that ammo in inadequate.

I appreciate all the comments and opinions you can throw my way.

Please help....... Thanks much!!
    The Federal Personal Defense line is biased toward lighter bullets at moderately higher velocities. My preference is toward heavier bullets, 200-235 grain in .45 ACP, and 165-180 grain in .40 S+W. Those loadings have been around a lot longer and have generally good track records.

From what I've seen of the Federal and Hornady "personal defense" loads, they seem to have reduced penetration, by design. I understand the philosophy behind that, and indeed one of the house guns is loaded with the Fed PD stuff, but my mind is more comfortable with the heavier stuff.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Shoot the bullets into the heart, brain or spine. They will work.

If you do not hit the heart, brain or spine, they will probably not work.

Handgun bullets suck. Period. It is up to you to make them effective by putting them into the heart, brain or spine.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Shoot the bullets into the heart, brain or spine. They will work.

If you do not hit the heart, brain or spine, they will probably not work.

Handgun bullets suck. Period. It is up to you to make them effective by putting them into the heart, brain or spine.
    sounds like you need better toys..... lol Not all handguns and there bullets are equal.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Interesting comments guys... Please keep them coming.

I agree with you that shot placement is critically important. And I guess that's what I like about the Fed Personal Defense ammo...... I can shoot it well.... plus I have a bunch of it. It's comforting to know this stuff feeds without fail (for me anyway) in my Glocks and Rugers.

I don't know if you guys switch out your ammo to match the season...that is have one type of ammo for when the bad guy is most likely to be wearing running shorts.... and have another type of ammo when the bad guy will be wearing a coat. If you do...... more power to you.....

Again keep your comments coming....... It's good to know what followy gunnies are thinking........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Federal's ammo lineup can be confusing, at least to this old senior citizen. So here's a specific question:

Does Federal make a "HydraShok" that is different than the Fed. Personal Defense HydraShok? And is "HydraShok" itself old technology?

Sorry if my questions seem confusing.......

Federal basically has four lines of ammunition.

They have target and range ammo now called their Federal Champion and American Eagle brand ammo. It can be purchased at Wal-Mart and other sporting goods stores.

Federal has their hunting ammo in the PowerShok, VitalShok and Fusion ammo brands.

Federal has their civilian personal defense ammo line called Federal Personal Defense JHP, Personal Defense EFMJ and HydraShok JHP.

HydraShok is HydraShok. There is only one version of it. It has the hollow point with a center post design unlike any other bullet out there. It is used for both civilian and law enforcement sales.

Personal Defense JHP is not HydraShok and is a different bullet design altogether. It is more of a standard hollow point design.

The Personal Defense EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) is their newest bullet in the Personal Defense lineup and is not a hollow point bullet. It is basically a full metal jacket bullet that expands consistently like a hollow point.

Federal then has their law enforcement line of ammunition. All of them start with 'Tactical".
    - Tactical Bonded
    - Tactical EFMJ
    - Tactical HST
    - Tactical HydraShok
    - Tactical Barnes XPB

Federal/ATK also owns Speer. Speer Gold Dots are another choice in civilian protection and law enforcement duty rounds.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post

They have target and range ammo now called their Federal Champion and American Eagle brand ammo. It can be purchased at Wal-Mart and other sporting goods stores.

Federal has their hunting ammo in the PowerShok, VitalShok and Fusion ammo brands.

Federal has their civilian personal defense ammo line called Federal Personal Defense JHP, Personal Defense EFMJ and HydraShok JHP.

HydraShok is HydraShok. There is only one version of it. It has the hollow point with a center post design unlike any other bullet out there. It is used for both civilian and law enforcement sales.

Personal Defense JHP is not HydraShok and is a different bullet design altogether. It is more of a standard hollow point design.

The Personal Defense EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) is their newest bullet in the Personal Defense lineup and is not a hollow point bullet. It is basically a full metal jacket bullet that expands consistently like a hollow point.

Federal then has their law enforcement line of ammunition. All of them start with 'Tactical".
    - Tactical Bonded
    - Tactical EFMJ
    - Tactical HST
    - Tactical HydraShok
    - Tactical Barnes XPB

Federal/ATK also owns Speer. Speer Gold Dots are another choice in civilian protection and law enforcement duty rounds.
    WOW!!!! Thanks for that great reply...... I gotta go back and try absorb the whole thing........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Nice summary, but for the line about Fed PD... see photo attached. Bullet is Hydra-Shok design (by appearance) with a center post, but the external profile is different due to lighter weight.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I also am not an expert nor have I ever shot anyone with a hollow point. My own research has led me to carry Federal HST LE ammo or Speer Gold Dots.
    These two are in my guns & ammo boxes.

@sqb: Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Nice summary, but for the line about Fed PD... see photo attached. Bullet is Hydra-Shok design (by appearance) with a center post, but the external profile is different due to lighter weight.
    When did they do that?? Is this the new stuff with the Barnes/Hornady XTP bullets or has the Personal Defense always been that way? I had some of that before but I don't remember it having the post inside and it was a more rounded profile hollow point. I still have some that I recovered from water jugs. These in your pic look just like the Hornady XTP bullets I bought once and I hated them. They were very pointed and did not expand as well as the others I shot.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

When did they do that?? Is this the new stuff with the Barnes/Hornady XTP bullets or has the Personal Defense always been that way? I had some of that before but I don't remember it having the post inside and it was a more rounded profile hollow point. I still have some that I recovered from water jugs. These in your pic look just like the Hornady XTP bullets I bought once and I hated them. They were very pointed and did not expand as well as the others I shot.
    Darned if I know... I'm guessing that box is at least 18 months old, and I've never seen Fed PD without the posts although I haven't looked lately. When I hold the standard HydraShok round next to the PD round, the difference is slight, with just a bit more taper to the PD round, again due to its lighter weight.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Tally, I have some Fed Personal Defense ammo that I bought 3-4 or so years ago.... I just looked and they are HydraShok... The .40 caliber stuff is 135 gr... and is lightening fast....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Tally, I have some Fed Personal Defense ammo that I bought 3-4 or so years ago.... I just looked and they are HydraShok... The .40 caliber stuff is 135 gr... and is lightening fast....
    Wow, well, here are photos of the Federal Personal Defense I tested a couple years ago. If it had the center post I don't remember it and the expanded bullets show no sign of there being one there.

Here is the Hornady XTP that was tested at the same time same method.

Here is my favorite, the Federal HST LE 230gr.

Great pictures Tally.......... thanks

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Federal 9BPLE is as good a 9mm as I've shot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links