Is there any real evidence that one caliber is a better fight stopper than another?

This is a discussion on Is there any real evidence that one caliber is a better fight stopper than another? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good vid. If anyone watches that and still thinks that ANY bullet fired from a hand or shoulder arm will physically KNOCK someone around...I have ...

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Is there any real evidence that one caliber is a better fight stopper than another?

VIP Member
    Good vid. If anyone watches that and still thinks that ANY bullet fired from a hand or shoulder arm will physically KNOCK someone around...I have a bridge or two I'd like to sell them.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Good vid. If anyone watches that and still thinks that ANY bullet fired from a hand or shoulder arm will physically KNOCK someone around...I have a bridge or two I'd like to sell them.
    O, my Dear and Fluffy Lord...do NOT get me started on THAT subject.

Unfortunately, I've met (in real life) people who would buy that bridge in a heartbeat.

Also--according to one of them--did you know that a .50 BMG is fatal if you just miss the target by real close, 'cuz the shockwave of the bullet is so severe?

Seriously! For real! They saw it in Iraq!
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Me too. The muzzle blast would tear an AVULSION in the body long and deep. Such shots have at times been so messy they have actually fouled and jammed the mechanism of the gun fired in that manner.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Me too. The muzzle blast would tear an AVULSION in the body long and deep. Such shots have at times been so messy they have actually fouled and jammed the mechanism of the gun fired in that manner.
    Are we saying the muzzle blast tore a hole through him that did all that damage? If that's the case, wouldn't there have to be far more energy in the muzzle blast of a .44 mag. than in the bullet itself?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

In a contact shot, the bullet makes the hole, and the expelled propellant gases follow behind. Those gases have to go somewhere, and they end up violently pushing tissue and organs aside. In effect, a mini hand grenade.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    In a contact shot, the bullet makes the hole, and the expelled propellant gases follow behind. Those gases have to go somewhere, and they end up violently pushing tissue and organs aside. In effect, a mini hand grenade.
    Exactly! Remember too, that the gases often contain still burning particulate matter and those too will rip and tear flesh. This is one reason why it's a bad idea to use a comped gun as a self defense pistol. If you have to shoot from "retention" then you get all that stuff in your face. Powder burns like that can blind you.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

Shot placement

ACCURACY is EVERYTHINGGGG!!!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

After reading this thread, I went back to the books by Jim Cerillo and the discussions on the autopsies he attended on the BG's that were killed during their duty tour. They used a myriad of weapons including pistiol, shotgun and rifle/carbine.........his thoughts were more on bullet type and it's performance rather than ultimate caliber.....seems the Semi-wadcutter style was his choice after viewing the many destructive wound channels on his victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    ACCURACY is EVERYTHINGGGG!!!
    No, it's just one part of the equation.

A perfectly placed round that doesn't penetrate deeply enough to be effective is as good as a miss.

The FBI learned this in Miami...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Links