Defensive Carry banner

38 special where to find 148 wadcutter or 158 lswcp and difference

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  sigs 
#1 ·
Ok I am on the hunt for the 148 wadcutter and the 158 lswchp.I have heard of both of these be praised as excellent rounds yet I have never seen them. I see alot of 130 FMJ and 125 JHP and 158 LRN and 110 Critical defense but not the two mentioned. Can anyone recommend an economical place to purchase these I am in South Ga if that makes a difference. I would like to to find them so that I can shoot and carry them as well.

#2 ·
#6 ·
If your looking for self defense rounds then these are going to do what you want. More pricey than range ammo but very good quality and maximum speed to weight. If you want range/practice ammo I think Gerogia Arms has the wad cutters and may have the lswcp too.

#9 ·
I don't think the 148gr wadcutter at target velocity is a good idea for SD uses. If you're not limited by a hand injury or arthritis or other condition that makes you sensitive to recoil, I'd stick with the LSWCHP.

#10 ·
Hope I am not too far off topic but would the Buffalo Bore +P be alright in the S&W Model 19? I am aware of possible issues with 357 using the 125gr. And I know that there supposedly no problems with any 38 special through them. I would just like to know if the +P in 38s is ok. I have tried to search on this and can't find any specifics.

#11 ·
Hi Sigs;

.38 Special +P will be fine in the Smith & Wesson K-Frame Model 19 revolver. At its very hottest incarnation, .38 Special +P is far below .357 Magnum levels of pressure and stress.

I've owned Model 19s in the past and shot them almost exclusively with full power handloads using 158 grain bullets. The guns held up fine. As I understand it from reading what others have written, it is the short 125 grain bullet that supposedly promotes the wear and tear to the forcing cones of the K-Frame .357 Magnums. I've shot limited amounts of hot 110 grain and 125 grain handloads through a Model 19 with no noticeable problems. Other Model 19 owners I know of report that their guns have held up to quantities of the 125 grain .357 Magnum load without issues. I've heard of cracked forcing cones but have never observed one, nor have any of my shooting associates who have Model 19s or their stainless brethren.

Only personal opinion but I'm a little skeptical of the Model 19's supposed delicacy. The Model 19 is still the very best choice for a .357 Magnum revolver for concealed carry use in my view. Its weight and balance in both 2 1/2-inch and 4-inch guise is ideal. I want another one.

#14 ·
Thanks, I do appreciate the info. I thought I was ok, just hard to find specifics sometimes. I don't carry my 19, a little big to conceal for my small frame, but love to shoot it. It'll be a nice carry if I can get back to the hills of Tennessee though.

#12 ·
In theory a lot of lead .38spl in a .357 chamber can foul the chamber and make it hard or impossible to chamber a magnum-length cartridge. Good cleaning techniques will prevent any issues.

#13 ·
Georgia arms has 158 gr wadcutter reloads - http://georgia-arms.com/38special.aspx
They're in Villa Rica, if that's anywhere near you.

.38 wadcutters have their advantages compared to the old round-nosed lead bullets, but the problem is that most WC loads are used for target work and are loaded to relatively low velocities. If you absolutely must use them, find a friend who handloads and push 'em to the max velocity the loading manuals advise. But realistically, there are so many better defense rounds available these days that you are far better off carrying some kind of +P hollowpoints. A good fallback in any .38 - from snub to full-size gun - is the "Chicago" or "FBI" load, which is a lead, 158-grain semi-wadcutter hollow point in +P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.