Defensive Carry banner

125gr 357sig vs. 125gr 357 magnum?

51K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Jimmy18E 
#1 ·
Is it true that the 125gr 357sig round offers the same performance as the 125gr 357 magnum round,when both are fired from a 4" barrel?

I've read that the 357sig was developed specifically for this purpose,but does it measure up in real world use? Does it really offer "magnum performance in an auto pistol"?

#2 ·
The .357Sig loaded with a 125Gr Bullet will go at 1500 FPS and have 619Ft. Lbs of energy.
The .357 Magnum loaded with a 125Gr Bullet is 1600 FPS and have 710Ft. Lbs of energy.
Not much difference except it is harder to get Social Ammo for the .357Sig these days and the bullet is a 9MM (.355) and the .357Magnum is .357 diameter.

Reactions: Rhinoman
#8 ·
The .357 Magnum loaded with a 125Gr Bullet is 1600 FPS and have 710Ft. Lbs of energy.
I have seen most of the factory loaded 125 gr ammo is between 1200 and 1500 FPS, except for Buffalo Bore which is 1700 FPS and Double Tap at 1600 FPS. Speer Gold Dots is 1450 FPS is the velocity that the .357 Sig was suppose to mirror.

#3 ·
At "social encounter" distances, the 91 foot-pounds of difference in energy will make very little practical difference in the outcome.

Does it really offer "magnum performance in an auto pistol"?
I just looked at data for .357 mag, .357 Sig and 10mm from Federal, Hornady and Winchester. In the JHP loadings closest to 125 grains, in muzzle energy alone the .357 is tops for Fed and Hornady. In the Winchester line, the 10mm auto shows 10% higher ME than the .357 mag. .357 Sig is at the bottom of the three in the Hornady and Win loadings. Realistically, not a huge difference among the three with respect to external ballistics.

#9 ·
Sticking with 125 grn bullets, the difference in power is so slight no BG will know the difference. The actual velocities of either probably aren't going to match "advertised" specs due to different barrels used and other conditions. Use them only as a basic guideline, not gospel.

The advantage with the .357 SIG round is the increase in capacity. If you want to change bullet weights, then the comparisons fall through.

I think that those who claim the SIG ammo isn't available simply aren't looking. It's there. The choices in bullets is limited though. Prices are comparable in both calibers.

Wouldn't it have been great if the .357 SIG actually used a .357 bullet? Think of the reloading possibilities available then. There's a wildcat round begging for testing.

#10 ·
Yeah, I know....6 year old thread...
I haven't bought a firearm in about 6 months and this itch is aggravating.

The only hole in our stable is more BUG choices that could be primaries when needed, so...

SP101 .357 Magnum or Glock G32 .357 Sig?

Hmm....

Reactions: Recon1342
#24 ·
Yeah, I know....6 year old thread...
I haven't bought a firearm in about 6 months and this itch is aggravating.

The only hole in our stable is more BUG choices that could be primaries when needed, so...

SP101 .357 Magnum or Glock G32 .357 Sig?
Hmm....
You are comparing apples to oranges. A 5 shot snub is quite uncomfortable to shoot with full magnum loads that will not come close to the velocity and perfomance of the Sig round in any auto. I had a S&W 640 in .357 for years and a Glock 32. What I finally ended up with was a G33. It handles the Sig round nicely yet is small and carries great. I use both Gold Dot and HSTs running at about 1320fps out of the shorter barrel. Although many manufactures use 9 mm bullets GD and HST use a true Sig bullet designed for Sig velocities.

#12 ·
the SP101 is a great 5 shot carry gun.
the 13 shot G32 is a superb carry gun in Glocks favorite frame size
taste is all up to you, either loaded with a high quality HP and backed by the owners ability to put the bullet where it needs to be will get the job done

#13 ·
I prefer the bullet profile of the revolver over the auto loader. The Sig has more of a 9mm cone type bullet for feeding, and the revolver round can be loaded with those more blunt soft tipped lead half jacketed bullets that use to leave lead and copper shrapnel thru out the body creating terrible damage.

I doubt in the real world one would notice much difference in effect.

Reactions: Recon1342
#14 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I prefer "both/and" over "either/or" anyway...
I already stock .357 Mag, so the SP101 is an easy choice. I already have holsters to fit a G32 and I'm intrigued by the .357 Sig.
Asking the question in a room full of enablers was predictable.

I think I'll get the SP101 first, then the G32.

#17 ·
^^^I'm in Zonkers camp on the .357SIG.^^^^^^^^^^

Comments on the .357 SIG

.357 SIG/Auto pistols review.

Shooting Illustrated | .357 SIG

CALIBERS -- 357SIG Advocacy

357 SIG Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

I’d like to discuss some excellent information from the
www.ammolab.com forum group. This ammolab site specializes in testing ammo and is one of the top 9 firearms sites on the planet:

He has tested several thousand rounds of the usual 9, 40, 45, etc. When he tested the 357 Sig Winchester Ranger and Remington Golden Saber ammo, it did something only the 10mm Silvertip has been able to do. Both of these rounds cracked the top plate that holds the gelatin blocks in place during testing. It’s obvious that these 357 Sig rounds dump more energy into 12 — 14 inches of gelatin than most other rounds he has tested.

When he reinforced the top plates, the same two 357 Sig rounds mentioned above then cracked the lower plate. The best 9mm loads, such as the Ranger 127gr +P+ barely created a ripple in the gelatin in comparison.
END

Yeah, did you notice; I like the .357SIG

#20 ·
You converted a VP-40 to .357 Sig? You're my new hero.

It should be noted that I am a huge fan of .357 Mag in general, with a fondness for small frame revolvers thrown in. Yeah, the ballistics are good, but the thing that gets me wound up is the fireball!

#23 ·
I've been a lifelong fan of the 357 magnum, starting the day my father brought home a then-new S&W Highway Patrolman, Model 28. I appreciate, shoot and sometimes carry other calibers, but the 357 mag in a good, sturdy wheelgun will always be a favorite.

That said, I tried the 357 Sig with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in a Glock 23 for a while. I liked shooting it, but that necked case is what eventually led me away from the caliber. It's difficult to reload, but more importantly I started noticing bullet set-back if a cartridge was chambered more than a couple of times.

I know, I know, I shouldn't re-chamber a round that's been chambered before. I do a lot of dry-fire practicing, so I stopped re-chambering rounds. And that became pretty expensive, so I ended up moving away from the 357 Sig.

My understanding is the 357 Sig is a pretty high-pressure round under normal circumstances, so please be careful about re-chambering those cartridges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.