.223, Ballistic Differences Between 55gr & 77gr

This is a discussion on .223, Ballistic Differences Between 55gr & 77gr within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've only shot 55gr to this point out of my Sig 556 Classic Swat Patrol and now I'm planning on taking it out on some ...

Thread: .223, Ballistic Differences Between 55gr & 77gr

.223, Ballistic Differences Between 55gr & 77gr

I've only shot 55gr to this point out of my Sig 556 Classic Swat Patrol and now I'm planning on taking it out on some hogs.
    Today I picked up some 77gr for such an event and my question is this.....
    My sight is zero'd in perfectly and I'm wondering what adjustments I should be expecting as far as trajectory, point of impact, blah, blah, blah and generally how differently it will perform compared to the more common 55gr FMJ.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    As long as the twist is 1:9 or tighter, I wouldn't see why it would make a difference. I think there is only a bit of a differance past 100 yards. I'm far from a ballistics expert. Also, you sure .223 or 5.56 will be enough for a hog? I don't hunt. Never have, probably never will, but from what I know of, they're pretty nasty creatures with some thick skin. I think a .223 would just piss it off. Again, I don't know for sure.

that was my thinking too but a guy at the gun show talked me out of a .308 of his i was looking at and just told me to use and heavier bullet and be sure to get a head or neck shot.....which shouldnt be a problem.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I only shot my 55 grn reloads out of my Rem 788. While it performed SPECTACULARLY on rockchucks and the occasional coyote, I wouldn't use it on something like a hog. The bullets (55 grn Sierra SPBTs) exploded more than penetrated. It wasn't legal to use on big game (WA state - .243 min), so I never had the opportunity to try it on something larger. It never appeared to have the power needed for big game, especially tough ones. A heavier bullet may help, but that's why God invented the .30-06.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't think 1:9 will stabilize a 77 as I have seen some 1:8 button rifled barrels struggle with them but give it a try. POI will be similar out to about 150 after that the 77 will be flater if they are not all over the place from the 1:9 twist.
    The more important factor here is what bullet are you using...all the ones I have used are match bullets with thin jackets and not meant for game. They may cause a horrific surface wound on a big pig that will eventualy prove fatal but, IMO, not very sporting. If you are sure they are intended for game they may prove reliable out to 100+.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Your POI might be will probably be slightly lower, and might shift left or right.

.223 is fine for hog, just use the right bullets. I would recommend something like a 62 or 70gr TSX or one of the many 60-64gr softpoints designed to hold together.

depends.. go shoot and see..

my 200y zero is the same for my 60gr vmax and my 75gr amax

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Your POI might be will probably be slightly lower, and might shift left or right.

.223 is fine for hog, just use the right bullets. I would recommend something like a 62 or 70gr TSX or one of the many 60-64gr softpoints designed to hold together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    depends.. go shoot and see..

my 200y zero is the same for my 60gr vmax and my 75gr amax
    The 1:9 will most likely stabilize a 70 gr. Is the TSX a hunting bullet?

My 60 SV is within 2 1/4' clicks of my 75 HBTHP & 77 SMK loads @ 200.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    The 1:9 will most likely stabilize a 70 gr. Is the TSX a hunting bullet?

My 60 SV is within 2 1/4' clicks of my 75 HBTHP & 77 SMK loads @ 200.
    The tsx is a hunting bullet. The 70 gr tsx will NOT stabilize in a 1:9, due to its all copper construction it is LONGER than a 77gr lead cored bullet.

Links