Is 45 ACP interchangable with 45 GAP in Revolver

This is a discussion on Is 45 ACP interchangable with 45 GAP in Revolver within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a SA pistol that is chambered in 45 LC. I purchased a conversion cylinder a few years ago that allows me to fire ...

Thread: Is 45 ACP interchangable with 45 GAP in Revolver

I have a SA pistol that is chambered in 45 LC. I purchased a conversion cylinder a few years ago that allows me to fire 45 ACP rounds through my gun that works well, is accurate and saves me a bit of money since 45 ACP rounds can be found for a LOT less than 45 colt ammo. I now have an opportunity to acquire almost 1,000 rounds of 45 GAP ammunition for next to nothing from a gun dealer I know who's retiring and selling off most of his stock. The price is outstanding yet I hate spending my hard earned money on the ammunition, regardless of the cost, if I can't use it and the dealer doesn't know if it will work or not in my gun.

My question is... does anyone know if 45 GAP ammo will fit/fire safely in a revolver chamber designed for the 45 ACP? The two round's ballistics are similar though the ACP round is slightly longer than the GAP round. I know the two aren't compatible in pistols, but many revolver cylinders will work normally/safely with more than one caliber round, 44 MAG/44 SPL and 357 MAG/38 SPL being commonly seen examples. Has anyone read if it will work or tried this themselves?

Thanks
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If the only difference is case length and the GAP doesn't produce very high pressures, it shouldn't be a problem. I have a S&W 610, 10mm that I fire .40 S&W in and it's no problem. I would play it safe and look up the specs on both.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I can't answer your question directly but on the gunblast link below - he was able to shoot .45 GAP in the Taurus PT145 designed for .45 ACP with no problems.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT145.htm
    For God, Family and Country!

FWIW

Industry maximum pressure for the .45ACP is 21,000psi
    the .45GAP is 23,000

The .45ACP +p is 23,000.

bosco

No, you can't.

A .45 ACP revolver (normally) has a ledge at the front of the chamber to headspace the cartridge (keeps it from sliding out the front of the cylinder); .45 ACP has no rim to hold it in place. Since .45 GAP is shorter than .45 ACP, the .45 GAP will not be held in place by the chamber itself.

One can shoot .45 GAP in a double action revolver by using half or full moon clips. The moon clips function as a temporary rim for revolver use. You identified your revolver as a single action and one cannot use the clips in a single action revolver. (Well, maybe if one removed the cylinder to reload...)

Sorry to rain on the parade.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    A .45 ACP revolver (normally) has a ledge at the front of the chamber to headspace the cartridge (keeps it from sliding out the front of the cylinder); .45 ACP has no rim to hold it in place. Since .45 GAP is shorter than .45 ACP, the .45 GAP will not be held in place by the chamber itself.

One can shoot .45 GAP in a double action revolver by using half or full moon clips. The moon clips function as a temporary rim for revolver use. You identified your revolver as a single action and one cannot use the clips in a single action revolver. (Well, maybe if one removed the cylinder to reload...)

Sorry to rain on the parade.
    I have shot .45 GAP ammo using moon clips in my 625 S&W revolvers without any problems.

I could not get them to shoot without the moon clips they seated too deep in the cylinder for the firing pin to hit the primer. FWIW I could not get the .45 ACP rounds to fire without the moon clips for the same reason.

I have read that some IDPA Type shooters are using .45 Gap brass in full moon clips, as they are shorter and faster to reload their handguns???????
    Another thing I found is that the extractor grove on the .45 GAP is also smaller then the extractor grove on the .45 ACP which ment that they were not as tight in the moon clips as the .45 ACP.

Accuracy was equal to the .45 ACP FMJ bullets that I fired.

IMHO I don't think a Single Action pistol using a cylinder chambered for the .45 ACP would be able to shoot the .45 Gap ammo as the cylinders are cut so that the .45 ACP brass head spaces/chambers on the case mouth.

MJK
    Do not attempt 45 GAP in a 45 ACP chamber. The case length of the 45 GAP is shorter, and since the cartridge head spaces on the mouth of the case it won't work.

Sponsored Links