Ammo getting pushed back into the casing

This is a discussion on Ammo getting pushed back into the casing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a problem with the bullets getting pushed back into the casing with my 1911. I took it apart to figure out why and ...

Thread: Ammo getting pushed back into the casing

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I had a problem with the bullets getting pushed back into the casing with my 1911. I took it apart to figure out why and discovered there was a small burr in the feed ramp on the barrel. It obviously was catching the round and pushing it back into the casing given the force of the slide slamming shut.

I ordered a new barrel and had it fitted by a reputable gunsmith and all was good and well until one day at the range I noticed that one shot had a louder pop with a lot more recoil then normal about 3 rounds into the magazine

I immediately stopped firing and cleared my weapon to examine what just happened. There was no damage to my 1911 but I noticed the next round that had fed after the "loud" round had the same issue, the bullet was pushed back into the casing. Now I have no clue what the issue is. The new barrel is perfect with no burrs. My only thought is that somehow the rounds are jamming into one another somehow.

Any ideas? Thanks!

What type of ammo--are they reloads?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

The first time I noticed it they were factory hollow points... Winchester I believe in .45 ACP. The range ammo I use is standard Winchester round nose .45 ACP. Before the burr I never had an issue shooting those. I use the same ammo in my Glock 36 with no issue which leads me to believe the gun has a feeding problem of some sort.

What kind of 1911 pistol?
    Your gunsmith fitted a new barrel properly to the pistol.
    Factory ammo.
    Magazines OEM or aftermarket?
    This one's going to be interesting. We need to solve your issues at the same time.
    I wouldn't venture to guess at this point. I'm no 1911 expert. There would be however some things I would look at if you brought it to me. The chamber, and the lock up. The barrel link, the barrel, and the slide, and possibly the recoil spring taking it into full battery. Like I say, I could only guess at this point, but knowing the basic 1911 somewhat and building my own, the chamber is apparently not where it should be when the action closes. I'd actually figure a miss-feed on most of those, but if you have an aftermarket recoil spring that's +, then it may be forcing them into the chamber no matter what. Your safety is the number one concern. Sure we'll get to the bottom of things one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What kind of 1911 pistol?
    It's an Auto Ordinance. 5" barrel full size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Magazines OEM or aftermarket?
    One came with the gun but I don't use that one because it causes it to jam as it feeds. In short, I tossed it because it is junk. The other two are after market, but seem to feed fine.

The only things not original to the gun are the slide release pin/lever and the barrel. I put some new grips on but I doubt that has anything to do with this. My gunsmith did salvage and reuse the barrel link and pin since the new barrel came without one. But after a few test runs it was fine, it just started doing this again recently. He showed me the 4 groves he put in the link around where the pin inserts to make sure the pin won't come loose (where it attaches to the barrel). This guy has about six 1911's and is an expert when it comes to gunsmithing them so I'm not going to say human error at this point.

This is all I know at this point. Who knows it could have been a one time thing

Side note: I've switched back to my Glock 36 as my EDC until I can figure the 1911 out. I almost forget my Glock is there with the difference in weight...

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    There is a feed ramp on the frame that could be polished too. I don't think replacing the barrel was necessary as the burr could have been ground down and also polished. Suggest to your gunsmith that the barrel be throated which may help. I've worked on many 1911's and this has me baffled. The slide release, link and pin shouldn't be an issue that I can see.
    Something else you might try is removing the firing pin and then inserting a loaded magazine. Cycle the slide manually and slowly and observe what happens. I really think throating may help.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I had a problem with the bullets getting pushed back into the casing with my 1911. I took it apart to figure out why and discovered there was a small burr in the feed ramp on the barrel. It obviously was catching the round and pushing it back into the casing given the force of the slide slamming shut.

I ordered a new barrel and had it fitted by a reputable gunsmith and all was good and well until one day at the range I noticed that one shot had a louder pop with a lot more recoil then normal about 3 rounds into the magazine

I immediately stopped firing and cleared my weapon to examine what just happened. There was no damage to my 1911 but I noticed the next round that had fed after the "loud" round had the same issue, the bullet was pushed back into the casing. Now I have no clue what the issue is. The new barrel is perfect with no burrs. My only thought is that somehow the rounds are jamming into one another somehow.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Well first off, I don't have a 1911, have never even shot one, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but did you check to see if the ammo was all the correct length before you loaded it into the magazine? Perhaps there was a quality control issue with a few boxes of the range ammo you bought?
    I don't know if it would make sense to measure a whole mag full of ammo, maybe even number and record overall lengths. Load the mag in order, and slam a each round in, eject by hand and remeasure. See if it's your gun or the ammo.

Sponsored Links